PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Two Character Building Questions

OMG PONIES
2010-04-20, 11:32 AM
1. Is there a feat/item anywhere that lets you treat a divine power as an arcane power (specifically by giving it the "arcane" keyword)? I thought I saw something around, but can't remember it for the life of me.

2. If a hybrid character takes multi-class feats, do they function any differently from a normal character? I'm building a hybrid wizard/cleric, and I've taken Blade Initiate and Acolyte Power in hopes of switching one of my utility powers for Fate-Spurned Foe. I've taken Blade Initiate at 6th level and Acolyte Power at 8th level, leading me to think that once I gain a utility power at 10th level, I can swap it out. However, the DDI Character Builder is not letting me retrain with Acolyte Power at all until 16th level! Am I missing something? If I can swap it out sooner, can I swap it at 10th level (once I gain a utility power), or do I have to wait until 11th? Before anyone asks, I have made sure that I have at least one cleric and one wizard utility power before even choosing my 10th-level utility, so I think I'm playing by the book here.

ashmanonar
2010-04-20, 11:45 AM
1. Is there a feat/item anywhere that lets you treat a divine power as an arcane power (specifically by giving it the "arcane" keyword)? I thought I saw something around, but can't remember it for the life of me.

2. If a hybrid character takes multi-class feats, do they function any differently from a normal character? I'm building a hybrid wizard/cleric, and I've taken Blade Initiate and Acolyte Power in hopes of switching one of my utility powers for Fate-Spurned Foe. I've taken Blade Initiate at 6th level and Acolyte Power at 8th level, leading me to think that once I gain a utility power at 10th level, I can swap it out. However, the DDI Character Builder is not letting me retrain with Acolyte Power at all until 16th level! Am I missing something? If I can swap it out sooner, can I swap it at 10th level (once I gain a utility power), or do I have to wait until 11th? Before anyone asks, I have made sure that I have at least one cleric and one wizard utility power before even choosing my 10th-level utility, so I think I'm playing by the book here.

There's a domain feat (Divine Power) that gives certain divine at-will powers the Arcane keyword. Can't remember the name of it ATM.

Reynard
2010-04-20, 11:50 AM
1: Power of Arcana, Arcana Domain feat in Divine Power, falls under Corelleon.

2. I thought this was explained in the hybrid rules?

OMG PONIES
2010-04-20, 11:56 AM
@Reynard: Thank you! I thought it was a domain feat, but couldn't remember the name.

As far as the second question, where in the hybrid rules is it explained? I only have the Character Builder, and I don't remember seeing anything there.

Reynard
2010-04-20, 12:58 PM
A hybrid character can select multiclass feats. The rules for multiclassing still apply: You can't take multiclass feats for a class you already belong to, which includes both of your hybrid classes.

OMG PONIES
2010-04-20, 02:14 PM
@ Reynard: Right, I understand that. I'm a hybrid cleric/wizard, with a multiclass swordmage feat. So I think I'm good to go on that part.

However, I'm trying to swap out one of my utility powers for Fate-Spurned Foe by using Acolyte Power. I'm taking Acolyte Power at 8th level, so I thought it would let me swap the utility power I get at 10th level for Fate-Spurned Foe. However, the Character Builder is not letting me make the swap until 16th level. Is this a problem with the Character Builder, or with me?

Reynard
2010-04-20, 02:23 PM
Aren't you supposed to make the swap the level you get the feat?

Maybe hold of buying Acolyte Power until level 10?

Oh, wait a second.

Gaining Additional Powers: When you reach a new level and gain an encounter attack power, a daily attack power, or a utility power, you can choose that power from either class. However, if you have at least two powers in the same category (at-will attack, encounter attack, daily attack, or utility), at least one of those powers must come from each of your hybrid classes. For example, if you have two encounter attack powers. one of the powers must be from one of your hybrid classes. and the other power must be from your other hybrid class.

Even if you later change your powers through retraining. power-swap feats, or some other means, you must retain at least one power in each of those four categories from both of your classes (see "Retraining," page 137, for how hybrid characters use the retraining rules).

Example: Bergen, a 1st-level fighter/rogue, wants a mixture o fpowers from his two classes. He selects cleave (fighter) and deft strike (rogue) as his at-will attack powers. He then selects steel serpent strike (fighter) as his 1st-level encounter attack power and blinding barrage (rogue) as his 1st-level daily attack power.

When Bergen reaches 3rd level and gains another encounter attack power, he must select the new power from the rogue class, since he already has a fighter encounter attack power. Alternatively, he could use retraining to replace steel serpent strike with king's castle. a 1st-level rogue encounter attack power, and then choose a 3rd-level fighter encounter attack power.
When Bergen reaches 7th level, he can choose his new encounter attack power from either class, since he already has an encounter attack power from each.

Excession
2010-04-20, 02:25 PM
Is it possible that in making the swap you're breaking the rules for what powers you need to have from each half of the hybrid?

erikun
2010-04-20, 02:32 PM
If you have Blade Initiate (Swordmage multiclass) + Acolyte Power, you should be able to take any one Swordmage utility power in exchange for a Wizard/Cleric utility. You're doing it correctly, but the builder doesn't seem to want to accept it.

Double check your character sheet. The builder might have automatically swapped a different utility for a Swordmage utility when you got the feat at level 8. You can only have one multiclass utility power, so it wouldn't let you take one at level 10 unless you retrained. If all else fails, I guess you could take a filler feat at level 8, then retrain the feat into Acolyte Power at level 10.

Thajocoth
2010-04-20, 09:27 PM
Multiclassing as a Hybrid character does allow you to kinda "break" some Hybrid rules, kinda.

Lets say you have 3 dailies. 2 from class A & 1 from class B. It is allowed to replace the power from class B because it happens AFTER. The multiclass feat, I believe, counts as more specific, as it's saying to replace ANY of your previous dailies with this new Daily. Power selection Hybrid rules states that you must meet certain requirements when you gain a new power from leveling up. It says nothing about when you replace powers. As a matter of fact, and the character builder even supports this, if you have 3 dailies, 2 from class A & 1 from class B, and gain a new daily on a new level, selecting to replace the Daily from class B will still allow you to select a Daily from class A. The next time you are to gain a Daily power though, having none from B already, the builder will force you to select one from B.

This is all a VERY literal interpretation though, and if I were DM, I would not allow you to be as loose as RAW here, as the intent is clearly enough not literally what it says. I would say, if you're a Hybrid, you cannot select a second power of a type (At-Will, Encounter, Utility or Daily) for one of your main (Hybrid) classes unless you already have a power of that type of the other main class, and that this property persists through all retrains and power-replacements.

This would allow multiclass and skill powers to work like they do for any other class, while keeping the obvious intent of having something from each main class when you have more than one main class power of a particular type.

Amperage
2010-08-20, 07:41 PM
To get it to work for the utility you want to replace you cannot choose a utility from either of the classes you've hybrided with....chose one of the "Skill Level __ Utilities" and it will let you swap it