PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Changeling Disguise + similar question

Choco
2010-04-20, 05:23 PM
If a Changeling uses its ability to transform into something like a Warforged or a Shardmind that does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, does this mean the changeling does not need to do those things either? I mean, it would be inconvenient having to eat (or speak for that matter) as a shardmind, not having a mouth and all.

On the flipside, how would y'all treat a construct or other type of creature that does not need to eat taking the appearance and characteristics of one that does?

ninja_penguin
2010-04-20, 05:25 PM
No, a changeling that is using changeling disguise is just mimicking something, and isn't actually turning into it. Disguising yourself as a warforged doesn't let you use warforged resilience.

Re: a construct disguise? Bluff checks, with a varying opposed/static DC depending on exactly how and what they are doing things.

Doug Lampert
2010-04-20, 05:26 PM
If a Changeling uses its ability to transform into something like a Warforged or a Shardmind that does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, does this mean the changeling does not need to do those things either? I mean, it would be inconvenient having to eat (or speak for that matter) as a shardmind, not having a mouth and all.

On the flipside, how would y'all treat a construct or other type of creature that does not need to eat taking the appearance and characteristics of one that does?

I see nothing that would indicate it gains any of the abilities or characteristics of the creature it changes into beyond appearance.

You don't get dark-vision by looking like a drow, you don't become a construct by looking like a warforged.

Choco
2010-04-20, 05:29 PM
Thats what I was thinking too. Changelings in fact DO have to transform back into something with a mouth so they can eat :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2010-04-20, 05:58 PM
Think of it as cosplay or acting: the changeling is really good at pretending to be and looking like someone/thing else, but really aren't what they look like.

Geiger Counter
2010-04-20, 06:02 PM
I can't remember where it says this but I don't think changelings can take the form of a warforged.

NeoVid
2010-04-20, 06:39 PM
They can copy the appearance of any Medium humanoid, and all PC races so far are humanoids, though some are Small.

Geiger Counter
2010-04-20, 06:44 PM
They can copy the appearance of any Medium humanoid, and all PC races so far are humanoids

except warforged and some in the expanded psionic handbook (elans, half giants, thrikreen).

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-20, 06:48 PM
except warforged and some in the expanded psionic handbook (elans, half giants, thrikreen).

This is clearly a thread about 4th Edition D&D, so your comment is completely meaningless.

NeoVid
2010-04-20, 06:51 PM
Huh. I have the right books on hand, lemme check...

OK, Warforged are listed as Medium Natural Humanoid (living construct).

...Now I'm wishing I had PHB3 on hand. I think Shardminds are listed the same, even though they're made of solid rock.

Edit: Whoops, beaten by Killian.