PDA

View Full Version : Xykon inspired Doom monster

BaronOfHell
2010-04-20, 05:57 PM
So I was thinking on making a doom (the video game) monster, inspired by the fights of Xykon that I've seen and wanna know what you guys think.

Anyway some details, normally one can respawn, this map is made more D&D style, each player have a summoning mace they can use to ressurect other players if they should fall, if all players fall they've lost (so it's not just shoot and respawn). I hope this will make players use some real tactics.

Okay, first inspiration of Mad Roy destroying Xykon:

If server is full, a combined knockback effect of rockets will knock back "Xykon" faster than "Xykon" can fly forward, meaning that "Xykon" gets knocked into a gate (which players can get knocked into as well), and this gate will destroy (setting hit points to zero) everything on touch.

That is the cheasy secret win that a stratetic team would use. It can be used, because "Xykon" will first start off by laughing and saying "this is gonna be fun" giving time to launch the attack and as he gets knocked back will say "hey stop that".

Second inspiration is Xykon vs. Azure city ghost martyrs. After "Xykon" states "this is gonna be fun" and laughing, he sends out the symbol of inzanity just like in the comic, however here it triggers an event of seeing a huge laughing skeleton head (event triggered subjective, i.e. all players sees this, though it's not displayed in the world itself) a fade black and when the blackness quickly goes away, there are monsters all around you. The normal player would respond to this situation by firing on the monsters.

In reality, what this have done is simply to turn on friendly fire and turn players into monsters from each players perspective. [Also I'm planning on only giving certain types of weapons monsters can use and make sure players are changed into the corresponding monster]. "Xykon"'s skeleton head will once in a while appear in total darkness to confuse the player even more (again a triggered event, it's nothing that happens in the world).
Now "Xykon" however have turned invisible (in practice he's set to be only able to be harmed by other monsters) and now there are two ways to defeat him, the one I'm telling about here, which comes now:
Use the crusher type of weapon to turn all other players (who now can be crushed) into blood pools, then respawn these pools through the mace of summoning, basicly setting players to monsters, creating ghost monsters which can both see and hurt "Xykon".
As a response, "Xykon" will summon "Red Cloak" and his goblin army. "Red Cloak" have an attack that destroyes the ghosts and make them unsummonable until "Red Cloaks" amulet has been destroyed (i.e. defeating "Red Cloak") and due to the way of his attack, only the non-ghost player can attack him, without getting destroyed in the process.

Basicly that means it's the alive player vs. "Red Cloak" and the ghost-players vs. "Xykon". Now "Red Cloak" will not only destroy the ghost-players, but also heal "Xykon" who in this run cannot do much.

3) Finally, inspired by the fight between V and Xykon, if the ghosts looses or the players destroy eachother and it's only one player vs. "Xykon" (and maybe "Red Cloak") left, I've made it so, that Xykon will say "Well that was boring, time to end this" and will fight the player using the same type of magic as he did against V.

Given "Red Cloak" is present, he'll accidently start a magic fire, isolating "Xykon" and the player in the 1vs1 duel. Should the player win, "Red Cloak" will flee and the ghost-players can be summoned again, now with ghost abilities.
If "Red Cloak" isn't present (i.e. the players destroy eachother when they think they're monsters) then as "Xykon" is defeated, the monster forms dissapear and the last player can now summon all the other players back in normal form.

Now, my point is of this monster is most of all it to be scary, so tell me, would you find it scary?

Edit: Thanks Darakonis, added it to the text.

Darakonis
2010-04-20, 06:13 PM
To clarify:

The OP is talking about the video game Doom. This seriously confused me, and I only realized halfway through the text.

Peace,
-Darakonis

ThePhantasm
2010-04-21, 03:06 PM
I've never played Doom, but I'm somewhat familiar with the game and I think it would be somewhat scary - or at least suspenseful. If you share it with other players though they may not appreciate it because they may not know who Xykon and Redcloak are.

Atronach
2010-04-24, 09:46 AM
I've never played Doom, but I'm somewhat familiar with the game and I think it would be somewhat scary - or at least suspenseful. If you share it with other players though they may not appreciate it because they may not know who Xykon and Redcloak are.

It would probably be kind of cool, even if most players do not understand who the heck the monsters are.

Comet
2010-04-25, 12:49 PM
That sounds seriously awesome.
It sounds like it has just the right amount of 'oh crap what the heck is this monster doing we're all going to die!' without falling into the pitfall of 'oh crap this monster is so unfair I'm going to totally flame the modder on the forums for this BS'.

So yeah, the idea is about as solid as it gets, in my opinion. Fun times :smallbiggrin:

BaronOfHell
2010-04-28, 06:40 AM
Thank you for your comments.
Not sure if it belongs to these boards, but the progress is going well and I hope to be finished with the project around mid 2012. (I apply something like an hour a week on the project, and I go very much up in detail, i.e. I'd never release something I'm not satisfied with myself).

It is not only a single monster project though, it's an entire wad, and I'd like to thank the author of the comic for another inspiration, though this one much more vague.

Ever since the 'Planet inside a planet' theme started, it have made me wonder if it's possible to create a creature that is designed to break the 4th wall, be so convinceable the players actually thinks it's a real, living, soul, trapped inside a computer game. So far, it'll ve bery event based (what one player see, the others do not), and in general, I don't want the monster to be tough, but tactical difficult, because the player must let go of all reason and beliefs in the quest to beat this monster.
Unfortunately, so far the plan of the monster requires people to install programs that can search for personal information (to make the experience unique), and I hope the facebook generation will make it possible to avoid such programs, through high self exposure, and thereby solely from Access information (such as IP) and standard methods make it possible to make a reasonable guess of the identity of the player.