PDA

View Full Version : Plant-Based Warforged Alternate (0 LA, PEACH)

The Moosey One
2010-04-20, 06:27 PM
The DM has tossed this at me as a suitable warforged alternate for my druid; I'm just curious if anyone other than the DM thinks it's fairly balanced.

A lot of the reason behind this was that he liked me playing a warforged, but didn't want to have to figure out how to work warforged items into the game.

Sigummun

Greater Awakened Plant Subtype (Ex): A sigummun is a humanoid greater awakened plant. A creature with the greater awakened plant subtype is a creature that, though once a simple plant, has through magic gained mobility, sentience and free will.

Features: As a greater awakened plant, the sigummun has the following features.

* A sigummun derives it's Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws and skill points from the class it selects.

Traits: A sigummun possesses the following traits.

* A sigummun has a Constitution score. A sigummun does not gain bonus hit points by size but gains (or loses) bonus hit points through a Constitution bonus (or penalty) as with other living creatures.

* A sigummun does not have low-light vision or darkvision.

* A sigummun is not immune to mind-influencing spells and abilities.

* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, abilities that cause the sickened condition, but not to energy drain.

* A sigummun can heal lethal damage naturally.

* A sigummun is subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.

* A sigummun can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target plant creatures. Any plant life that is growing on the sigummun, however, can be affected by any spell that affects plants. Damage dealt to a greater awakened plant can be healed by a cure light wounds spell, for example, and A sigummun is vulnerable to a harm spell. Spells from the healing subschool or supernatural abilities that restore hit points provide normal effect to a sigummun.

* A sigummun responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A sigummun with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. She can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a sigummun is inert. She is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert sigummun does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to her, as with a living creature that is stable.

* The unusual bodies of the sigummun make them vulnerable to certain spells and effects that don't normally affect living creatures. A sigummun is repelled by repel wood. The wooden body and previous plant state of the sigummun makes it vulnerable to both the wood shape and warp wood spells. Warp wood causes 2d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex half; save DC 14 + caster's ability modifier). Wood shape has several uses; it can act as either a Harm or Heal spell, depending on the caster's intention. It can also act as a non-illusionary disguise self spell, requiring an additional successful casting to return to the sigummun's base form.

* A sigummun can be raised or resurrected.

* A sigummun needs to eat and drink via putting down roots once per day, for a minimum of four hours. Rooting on an underground water source temporarily forms a small natural spring that provides up to 2 gallons of water per hour (DM Discretion). She is not immobile during this period, but ripping up her roots during this time causes 1d3 damage, and also for her to be dazed for 1d4 rounds. She does not need to breathe, and can benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.

* A sigummun does not need to sleep, but a sigummun wizard must still rest for 8 hours before preparing spells. A divine caster generally prays for spells during her rooting period each day.

* +2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Sigummun are very resilient, but their narrow field of experience and foreign nature make it difficult for them to adjust well in most cultures.

* Medium: As medium greater awakened plant, sigummun have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

* Sigummun base land speed is 30 feet.

* The wooden bodies of the sigummun are unusually tough, granting the sigummun a +2 natural armor bonus. Since this is natural armor, the sigummun is able to wear a suit of armor or robes, and is able to take advantage of the effects of magic armor and robes.

* A sigummun has a natural weapon in the form of a slam attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.

* Automatic Languages: Sylvan and Common. Bonus Languages: None.

* Favored Class: Druid. A multiclass sigummun's druid class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Lappy9000
2010-04-20, 06:49 PM
First off, welcome to the forums!

Second off, I'm not so sure about this. Warforged are generally considered to be on the upside of +0 LA, and sometimes above that. It simply boils down to how good the Living Construct subtype is. This Greater Awakened Plant subtype pretty much gives the warforged everything they already had, but without the penalties (half healing, no natural healing, can't wear armor, etc.)

Now, I'm not really sure how to handle plant-based warforged, but I'd bet someone else can offer you a few ideas. In the meantime, here's some links to inspire any tweaking:

Living Constructs:
Fieldguard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117687)
Soulstitched (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6310251&postcount=21) (3.5 stats at bottom)

Plant Races:
Russiti (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11048)
Trufflefolk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134937)

DracoDei
2010-04-20, 07:15 PM
Don't know about the RACE, but the CHARACTER should be fine, or at least close to it... assuming, for the sake of simplicity, that -2 Charisma is basically irrelevant, then you are losing your casting stat, in exchange for a bonus to a stat that it is generally considered that Wild Shape makes less than relevant... although it still will give you more hitpoints.

The +2 Natural Armor would be easy enough to drop...

"plant creatures" is a subset of "living creatures" so your copy-pasta failed there...

Should have bonus languages to reward high Intellegence I should think...

Perhaps something along the lines of:
"becomes fatigued (despite any the racial immunity) when outside of sunlight for more than 30 consecutive minutes until in sunlight for at least 5 minutes. Daylight may be substituted for sunlight.

The Moosey One
2010-04-20, 07:35 PM
First off, welcome to the forums!

Thank you!

Don't know about the RACE, but the CHARACTER should be fine, or at least close to it... assuming, for the sake of simplicity, that -2 Charisma is basically irrelevant, then you are losing your casting stat, in exchange for a bonus to a stat that it is generally considered that Wild Shape makes less than relevant... although it still will give you more hitpoints.

The +2 Natural Armor would be easy enough to drop...

"plant creatures" is a subset of "living creatures" so your copy-pasta failed there...

Should have bonus languages to reward high Intellegence I should think...

Perhaps something along the lines of:
"becomes fatigued (despite any the racial immunity) when outside of sunlight for more than 30 consecutive minutes until in sunlight for at least 5 minutes. Daylight may be substituted for sunlight.

It would be easier if the DM was willing to change it; but he's not. I'm still fighting him on the balance of it. I think part of the reason he's making it a touch more powerful is because I'm supposed to be keeping a couple new players alive until they get the hang of the game; I think I can do that as just a plain druid, he's not so sure. I don't think he realized how broken they really are in 3.5, especially since he decided to use Spell Points.

Thanks for catching the "living creatures" and "plant creatures" thing; I'm pretty sure he meant it to be humanoids and plants. This means I can mock him shamelessly now.

Bonus languages are going to as normal for intelligence bonus.

On the last bit: Did you mean that they become fatigued if not in sunlight for at least 5 minutes per 30 minutes out of sunlight, or are fine for say, 12 hours as long as they get sunlight for 5 minutes?

The flavor (no need for photosynthesis) he's providing makes the 1st sunlight option a bit iffy; also, it would effectively cripple the character in the campaign he's built.

DracoDei
2010-04-20, 08:01 PM
I meant that 30 minutes of continuous lower-light conditions exhausts him, and once exhausted, it takes 5 minutes of good light to recover him. And it wasn't photosynthesis per se that I was thinking of, more of a "curling leaves and such for the night" type of reaction... a flaw in the design.

As it is, I think you will rarely need to waste TOO many spells points on healing yourself, and thus will be effective at keeping the newbies alive...

Might be overpowered, but you never know... PLEASE tell us how it goes!

Lappy9000
2010-04-20, 09:05 PM
Thank you!No probs :smallcool:

It would be easier if the DM was willing to change it; but he's not. I'm still fighting him on the balance of it. I think part of the reason he's making it a touch more powerful is because I'm supposed to be keeping a couple new players alive until they get the hang of the game; I think I can do that as just a plain druid, he's not so sure. I don't think he realized how broken they really are in 3.5, especially since he decided to use Spell Points.Well, if the DM wants you to play an (albeit mildly) overpowered race, I say go for it :smalltongue:

You sound like the type of person who knows the power level of something like this and how not to abuse it (or at least not blow the other players out of the water). But really, these guys are barely a +1 LA so my advice is to not worry about it.