PDA

View Full Version : Becoming the Know-It-All

Trekkin
2010-04-20, 09:18 PM
A class question for you: I am attempting to produce a character devoted to gathering knowledge in as many ways as possible. Of course, it will have as many ranks in knowledge skills as possible, but I seek still more ways to allow it to gain information. Aside from a Seer with as many Clairsentience powers as possible (or the arcane equivalent) are there any particularly effective ways of recovering secret or lost information? Thankfully the group is quite combat-capable; what we lack is the ability to determine what, where, and why we're fighting.

So yes, I'm making the anti-PC: an overly curious noncombatant. Aside from Tomes of Worldly Memory and perhaps masterwork tools (as Knowledge is one skill, would one set of masterwork tools grant a bonus to all checks), are there any items I should get? What about feats?

Eldariel
2010-04-20, 09:21 PM
Crystalmask of Knowledge is what you want. Get a bunch of those. Also, Divinations, Divinations, Divinations. I'd definitely be a divine caster just for access to Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) and Divine Insight [SC] to gain wrong Knowledge-checks (the combination gives you +35 to any skill check for two 2nd level slots; if you're an Archivist with all Knowledges maxed, that's a lot). And Divinations to figure everything out... But yeah.

Human Paragon 3
2010-04-20, 09:30 PM
Archivist is an especially good class for a seeker of knowledge. Not only does he seek out new spells for his prayer book, he actually has some great abilities based on his knowledge skills. Archivist into Loremaster PrC... even better.

If you're a gnome, check out Races of Stone for a feat that lets you always roll twice on knowledge checks and take the better roll.

I know you said non-combatant, but if you ever DO want to throw down, the Knowledge Devotion feat from Complete Champion will also let you put your knowledge skills to good use.

Personally, I think the ability to build your own knowledge gathering tools can't be overstated. Scribe Scroll, Craft Wand, and Craft Wonderous Item are your friends. Never run out of Divination Scrolls again!

Magnor Criol
2010-04-20, 09:30 PM
Knowledge Domain. As long as you worship whoever your settings god of knowledge is (which thematically makes sense anyhow) you can pick it up. And even if you're mostly noncombat, when you have a ton of ranks in knowledge, you can use the Knowledge domain to make what you do do in combat very effective.

There's several of the Crystal Masks that work; besides the Crystal Mask of Knowledge, there's also one that gives you languages when worn, which would make a ton of sense for your PC to own (need to read an ancient tome or listen to a personal account in a foreign tongue? Whip out the mask!). I forget its name off the top of my head and I don't have my books with me, but it's in the MiC right next to the Mask of Knowledge.

I'll toss some more ideas your way later; I made a character with the same theme (I just want to know things, man!) and when I pull out the sheet I'll see if there's any decent ideas that haven't been covered.

Shalist
2010-04-20, 09:32 PM
(copy/pasted from a wishlist, so forgive the shorthand) (lvl, name, description, reference, components (ie verbal, divine focus), casting time (ie 3 =standard action), save, SR y/n, duration,)

P1 Sense heretic Object glows if evil divine caster comes within 100’ (-> 1’ stone, etc etc) SC182 10min/

0 Amanuensis Copy 250 words (1 page)/min for 10min/lvl (it does trigger magic though) SC9
1 Scholar's touch Gain information from 1 book / round, as if you had read through them completely once. (RoD 167) (magical writing need not apply)
1 Spontaneous search As if target took 10 to search a 20’ burst VSM, 3 (Again, just full of win)
1 Master’s Touch Gain proficiency in a single, specific item CA154 VF 1 -- -- Min /
2 Spymaster’s coin Plant a bug on a ‘fine’ object, activate it for hr/CL later to listen in for rnd/cl. CS105 VS F 3 -- -- Hr/
2 Dragoneye rune Like wizard mark, but treat object/person as familiar for scrying, 3/day Can tell roughly where it is. DM 66 VS 3 -- -- Perm (perm? awesome--GPS trackers for everyone! You can even mark stationary stuff to use as landmarks.)
2 Lore of the Gods +5 (+10 if you worship a god with the knowledge domain) insight bonus to all knowledge checks; shorten duration by rerolling one check CC124 VS -- -- 10/

Items:

Gloves of Object Reading (psionic power) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/objectReading.htm) (2000g item, gives you tons and tons of information about the history of any object, and the people who've possessed it before you).

*Slate folio: Photocopy 100 pages/hour by itself, stores up to 5 books, omits magic writing 7500g (Again, awesome for information gathering)

Pendant of Redemption: Allows ‘detect evil’ to determine what someone must do to be redeemed. (While it doesn't tell you what they did wrong, it does say specifically what they must do to fix it, ie ‘return the crown jewels,’ hmmmmm....)

Scrolls of uncertain providence (relic) +5 competence to all knowledge checks when held for some alignments 8000 MIC

Tome of wordly memory 3/day study briefly to gain +5 competence on a knowledge check 1500 MIC

(So, so many completely awesome information gathering methods available at low levels...)

I'd also like to note that 'trivial knowledge' is a feat from Races of Stone that lets you roll all knowledge checks twice (gnomes only). (ninja'd, but oh well :P )

edit:

For tools, just use 'masterwork' books. Name him Wiki, and let him pack an entire library around in a HHH :P

Also, 'ring of X-ray' (25,000) could be interesting, depending on how snoopy he is.

As for stacking, 'lore of the gods' (spell) is an insight bonus, but you'd have to choose between the tome and the scroll (both competence bonuses).

Trekkin
2010-04-20, 09:33 PM
As far as masks go, the Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic serves as a translation tool (I will probably list it as spectacles, as he's going to be wearing like five pairs). I can also manifest Tongues and will probably be able to cast it should I go Archivist instead. But yes, Crystal Masks of Languages are wonderful.

And unfortunately, Crystal Masks of Knowledge only cover one kind of Knowledge check. Tomes of Worldly Memory cover them all, three times a day, for 1500 rather than 2500 gp. It's a truly annoying choice.

And the DM has stated he'd rather not see Archivist used, as he believes it broken. I know the way I intend to use it is less broken than the norm, but I would rather abide by his wishes, so the choice is narrowed to between Diviner and Seer, together with any classes I've missed.

Amphetryon
2010-04-20, 09:37 PM
(as Knowledge is one skill, would one set of masterwork tools grant a bonus to all checks)No, Knowledge (Arcana) is distinct from Knowledge (Religion), etc.

Trekkin
2010-04-20, 09:57 PM
How may I most cheaply gain access to Lore of the Gods and other spells as a non-divine caster?

In addition, are there any recommendations for new ways of gaining knowledge beyond boosting checks?

Sinfonian
2010-04-21, 01:05 AM
You could always get wands and UMD for those spells.

Aside from Archivist, you might want to think about Factotum for several reasons:
1) Good number of skill points/level
2) Int-Synergy, using it for pretty much everything in addition to knowledge
3) Skill list is everything (literally), so things like all Knowledge skills, Decipher Script, Speak Language, and Use Magic Device (for wands of those spells mentioned above)
4) Depending on level, you can emulate some spells that might come in handy, like say the aforementioned divine spells that boost skill checks, or Comprehend Languages (never know when what you want to know isn't in a language you already know)
5) The fluff works pretty dang well for what you seem to want (unless I'm misunderstanding)

Divide by Zero
2010-04-21, 01:12 AM
Omniscifier.

Lyndworm
2010-04-21, 01:12 AM
You might want to check out Cloistered Cleric, too. More broken than the Archivist, some would say, but in a not-obscure book! Other than that, regular Cleric with the Knowledge Domain is alright.

Darth Stabber
2010-04-21, 01:50 AM
Savant from Dragon Compendium.

Bardic Knowledge-check
All skills in class-check
Modest arcane and divine spell progressions-check
Sneak Attack-check
Bonus Feats (any you qualify for)-check
Means of using these skills for benefit of team-check

d6HD
6+int skills
3/4bab
good will/maybe ref too (don't have book handy)
More Diffuse than a bard, and not very good at anything, but can intheory do anything

KurtKatze
2010-04-21, 02:01 AM
Spend 2 Skillpoints on "Collector of stories" from C-Scoundrel, it's a skilltrick that grants you a +5 on all knowledge checks used to identify monsters, somewhat restricted but 2 skillpoints isn't much to spend.

druid91
2010-04-21, 08:07 AM
Omniscifier.

But then you need a raise dead spell.

Optimystik
2010-04-21, 08:12 AM
You might want to check out Cloistered Cleric, too. More broken than the Archivist, some would say, but in a not-obscure book! Other than that, regular Cleric with the Knowledge Domain is alright.

Actually, you don't need a book for Archivists. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3)

Godskook
2010-04-21, 10:22 AM

Actually, Cloistered Cleric is no more 'broken' than regular cleric. They don't get any new 'tricks', that a regular cleric doesn't already have.

Archivist, on the other hand, has all the cleric tricks by default, and can get literally every other caster's trick if he abuses RAW enough.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-04-21, 10:59 AM
There's an Arcana Unearthed (AU, from Monte Cook) series monster called an Esper; they can create humanoid offspring. They get a +6 INT bonus, and +4 racial bonus on all Knowledge checks. I need to find the exact source though... :smallamused:

Trekkin
2010-04-21, 12:18 PM
I found the Esper; they're in Spirit, Mind, and Body. Unfortunately, I don't have that book. Is any part of their stats open content?

Flickerdart
2010-04-21, 12:36 PM
But then you need a raise dead spell.
No, then you need to drown yourself and use any item to heal back up to positives.

EvilJoe15
2010-04-21, 01:15 PM
Or you could drown in healing potion. :smallwink:

Optimystik
2010-04-21, 01:41 PM
Archivist, on the other hand, has all the cleric tricks by default, and can get literally every other caster's trick if he abuses RAW enough.

He lacks a very important cleric trick - Turn Undead, which powers Divine Feats.

This is solvable via dipping however.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-21, 01:55 PM
Caster ranks then Loremaster PrC would be good. You need Knowledge and Item Creation feats to qualify as a Loremaster anyway, and the class features would support your focus.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-21, 02:02 PM
Caster ranks then Loremaster PrC would be good. You need Knowledge and Item Creation feats to qualify as a Loremaster anyway, and the class features would support your focus.

Plus, use the Wizard variant that grants you a domain power (not spells) and choose knowledge. Then take Knowledge devotion and dip into Cloistered Cleric. Become a Loremaster, and finish with dips into Mage of the Arcane Order and Archmage. Done and done

Human Paragon 3
2010-04-21, 02:10 PM
What good is Knowledge Devotion to a wizard?

Optimystik
2010-04-21, 02:14 PM
What good is Knowledge Devotion to a wizard?

The attack and damage bonuses apply to weapon-like spells, such as Orbs and Rays. It's also an insight bonus, which is generally hard to find and will therefore stack with the more common bonuses (e.g. enhancement, morale and competence.)

KD is useful for just about anyone with good Knowledge skills.

Trekkin
2010-04-21, 02:29 PM
Knowledge Devotion is indeed wonderful, but does the bonus to damage apply only to hit point damage? For instance, could I use it with the Charisma damage applied from Ego Whip?

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-21, 02:32 PM
Knowledge Devotion is indeed wonderful, but does the bonus to damage apply only to hit point damage? For instance, could I use it with the Charisma damage applied from Ego Whip?

Some say yes, some say no. I lean on the no side, even though ability damage is technically a subset of damage.

Human Paragon 3
2010-04-21, 02:37 PM
Certainly not! Otherwise any source of extra damage would turn wizards into ability damage monsters, even more than they already are. That would be broken.

deuxhero
2010-04-21, 02:41 PM
Plus, use the Wizard variant that grants you a domain power (not spells) and choose knowledge.

Why? Know domain's power is "All Know skills are class skills" which is redundant for a wizard. If you want the +1 divination bonus it is very easy to replace.

drengnikrafe
2010-04-21, 02:43 PM
Correct me if I'm mistaken at some point in this stream of logic (which I probably am, seeing as how this doesn't make any rational sense and I've never seen it anywhere), but a DC 15 autohypnosis check allows you to store up to 800 characters in your memory, and can be retrieved with a DC 15 autohypnosis check. In theory (given that you were playing something like an Elan) you could say your character had been around since the beginning of time, and spent all that time memorizing facts in blocks of 800 characters. Thus, you could access any information ever with a DC 15. Assuming your backstory has some sort of access to a universal library.

druid91
2010-04-21, 02:43 PM
No, then you need to drown yourself and use any item to heal back up to positives.

And what sensible DM would let you do that?

Trekkin
2010-04-21, 02:47 PM
Certainly not! Otherwise any source of extra damage would turn wizards into ability damage monsters, even more than they already are. That would be broken.

I thought as much. It's bound to come up at some point; thank you for confirming it.

deuxhero
2010-04-21, 02:52 PM
Correct me if I'm mistaken at some point in this stream of logic (which I probably am, seeing as how this doesn't make any rational sense and I've never seen it anywhere), but a DC 15 autohypnosis check allows you to store up to 800 characters in your memory, and can be retrieved with a DC 15 autohypnosis check. In theory (given that you were playing something like an Elan) you could say your character had been around since the beginning of time, and spent all that time memorizing facts in blocks of 800 characters. Thus, you could access any information ever with a DC 15. Assuming your backstory has some sort of access to a universal library.

Oh yes, check with your DM if you can replace the Loremaster's Lore (which is explicitly Bardic Knowledge, just using character level instead of class level) with Bardic Knack from PHB2 (make rolls as though you had ranks equal to half your bard level, you don't acctually have ranks though, so you need to be trained or gain the 5 ranks in balance separately) then take Jack of All Trades (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#jackOfAllTrades) and make every skill check trained at ranks=half class level.

Trekkin
2010-04-21, 03:04 PM
I should have specified that the party is currently exploring a heretofore unknown world; while memorizing every library that ever existed is useful, I was hoping for a series of means by which a character could quickly gather new knowledge, in addition to having maxed knowledge checks. Comprehend Languages, Identify, Object Reading, and as many other spells/powers as can be crammed into a single character would be extremely useful.

deuxhero
2010-04-21, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a textbook loremaster. You can ID items as a standard action, get languages you shouldn't have (The "bonus language" ability does not say you can't learn Druid, while every other language rule does) can cast object reading (better yet, grab some gloves with them and scholar's touch always on) and you are a wizard.

Trekkin
2010-04-21, 04:32 PM
Assuming I were to use wizard as an entry point into Loremaster, is it possible to gain spells like Identify and so forth in a manner that does not require a costly material component?

I have found the solution: a spell-to-power erudite.

deuxhero
2010-04-21, 08:38 PM
Uh, gaining ID without cost is one of the Loremaster's class features (The action is pretty vague, as the rules don't say what action an extraordinary ability that replicates a spell takes, but it's free).

Shalist
2010-04-21, 09:09 PM
I agree for the most part, however there are a few 'things' to remember:

WEAPONLIKE SPELLS
..All such spells deal damage as spells, not weapons, so Strength modifiers to damage and magical effects that increase weapon damage (such as the bard's inspire courage ability and the prayer spell) don't increase damage from a weaponlike spell.Mind you, that just means things that specifically increase 'weapon damage.'

CRITICAL HITS
Extra damage from a critical hit is of the same type the spell deals normally...Chill touch deals 1d6 points of damage and 1 point of strength damage, and would deal 2d6 points of damage plus 2 points of strength damage on a critical hit...A critical hit with an enervation bestows 2d4 negative levels, for example.
So critical hits, at least, can increase ability damage and energy drain.

SNEAK ATTACKS
A successful sneak attack with a weaponlike spell deals extra damage of the same type...The exception is spells that deal energy drain or ability damage, which deal negative energy damage on a sneak attack, not negative levels or ability damage....enervation sneak attack...1d4 negative levels and deals 3d6 points of negative energy damage.
Extra damage, but as HP instead of ability/levels.

Point Blank Shot: You get a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls with ranged spells that deal hit point damage...spells that only deal ability damage, bestow penalties on ability scores, or deal energy drain get no bonus on damage. Meh, mixed messages, IMHO

You then receive an insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against that creature type for the remainder of the combat. The amount of the bonus depends on your Knowledge check result, as given on the following table.

So...you have a few precedents to work with, though nothing says definitively one way or another. Personally, I'd go with "does
a few HP of negative energy damage." *shrug*