PDA

View Full Version : More Electronic Circuitry help: Electronic Timer

Fri
2010-04-20, 11:27 PM
Guys, I need your electronical expertise help once more. Could you guys help me in finding a way/circuitry diagram for a kind of timer?

I need a simple way to turn my current project off automatically after about thirty minutes. I'm currently trying to find it as well, but everything that I found are kinda too complex. I thought, what I want the timer to do is quite simple! Are there really no way to do that in an easy way?

Keld Denar
2010-04-21, 01:52 AM
This might help...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/circuit_diagram.png

Archonic Energy
2010-04-21, 03:42 AM
buy a timer switch which sits between the mains and your project.

Done.
:smalltongue:

BisectedBrioche
2010-04-21, 06:50 AM
How complex a circuit do you want? If you want an accurate timer your best bet would probably involve an IC.

What you need to do is basically use a capaciter (since it'll charge/discharge at a predictable rate with a constant current) as a pacer and your best bet is a standard 555 Timer IC.

Just google something like "555 timer circuit". They might look a little intimidating at first, but when you understand how they work it'll be easy.

EDIT: It might help if you give more details of what your project is and what you're trying to do, BTW. Particularly what voltage you want to run it at.

Fri
2010-04-21, 10:51 AM
thanks. I'm a product design student that's currently working on some kind of power-nap machine using white noise. Power nap only work if we wake up before the deep sleep kicked in, that is about thirty minutes after we start to doze.

I already got the way to generate the white noise, it's quite simple and works with a nine volt battery, which make it quite portable. What I need now is a way so the generator will automatically shut down and kick a buzzer on to wake the user after thirty minutes.

so... I guess that means I need a timer that work with 9 volt DC power supply, and small (simple) enough to be worn on the head...

BisectedBrioche
2010-04-21, 12:02 PM
thanks. I'm a product design student that's currently working on some kind of power-nap machine using white noise. Power nap only work if we wake up before the deep sleep kicked in, that is about thirty minutes after we start to doze.

I already got the way to generate the white noise, it's quite simple and works with a nine volt battery, which make it quite portable. What I need now is a way so the generator will automatically shut down and kick a buzzer on to wake the user after thirty minutes.

so... I guess that means I need a timer that work with 9 volt DC power supply, and small (simple) enough to be worn on the head...

Yep, you definatly want to use a 555 timer based circuit. Do you have much experience with soldering/electronics?

The alternative would be using actual clocks, but presumably you don't need exactly 30 minutes?

This page has the info you need, more or less: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_build_a_simple_timer_circuit

Fri
2010-04-22, 10:46 AM
Hm... no more suggestion or nudge? I guess I'll restart my search with the afromentioned circuit as the base then.

Archonic Energy
2010-04-22, 12:09 PM
Hm... no more suggestion or nudge? I guess I'll restart my search with the afromentioned circuit as the base then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

Vin = 3-15v
voltage used 9v
in tolerance
T=1800 (sec)

T= R C

using commonly available values for R & C
C= 1000 uF = 0.001F +/-20%
R= 1M8 Ohm = 1,800,000 ohm +/-1%
C x R = 1800.

Done.
see if you can find more accurate capacitors.

BisectedBrioche
2010-04-22, 12:40 PM

All you really need to do is adjust that circuit to 30 minutes (I'd suggest finding the highest value capacitor you can run off 9v and then selecting a resistor to adjust the value accordingly).

Then you can just connect the output (3) pin to the base of a transistor (PNP, so the current is stopped when there's a current at the base) and wire the collector and emitter of the transistor into the rest of the circuit (you might need a resistor to lower the output voltage of the pin).

This program might be useful for building your circuit: http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/bobsclass/2C/Simulation/circuit_maker.htm

BTW, if you want to avoid all of this you could always cannibalise a cheap electronic alarm clock...

Fri
2010-04-22, 12:45 PM
All you really need to do is adjust that circuit to 30 minutes (I'd suggest finding the highest value capacitor you can run off 9v and then selecting a resistor to adjust the value accordingly).

Then you can just connect the output (3) pin to the base of a transistor (PNP, so the current is stopped when there's a current at the base) and wire the collector and emitter of the transistor into the rest of the circuit (you might need a resistor to lower the output voltage of the pin).

This program might be useful for building your circuit: http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/bobsclass/2C/Simulation/circuit_maker.htm

BTW, if you want to avoid all of this you could always cannibalise a cheap electronic alarm clock...

Thanks. that kinda make sense and understandable. And believe me, I'd cannibalize an alarm clock if I know what to do with it.

DSCrankshaw
2010-04-22, 01:00 PM
Hmm, a 30 minute cycle is kind of long for a 555. I'd probably use a shorter cycle time and combine it with a counter. Or just find a timer IC that you can program for the proper time.