PDA

View Full Version : Explorers In The Playground

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 09:13 AM
Ok, so most of us are forum posting D&D fans, but at least a few of us get off our butts sometime, right?

If you hike or just explore places lets hear from you.

So far my favorite place I've ever been is Raven Cliff Falls in Helen, Georgia (which despite the fact I've been to plenty of places, still remains my favorite AND in my hometown, yet didn't know of it til last month).

The Okefenokee comes in a close 2nd, though its surroundings kind of kill the effect.

I was also raised with parents who were always looking for a huge old house to fix up and so my earliest memories are going through the creepiest places with flashlights. Many of them were also abandoned warehouses, churches, etc. Loved it.

Also, because they were cheapskates we tended to visit free parks with caves and so gained my love of spelunking. So far the underground Lost Sea, in Tennessee, is my favorite. You have to pay to get a boat, but still cool, especially the glass bottom letting you see the giant albino catfish without eyes.

Where've you been?

Eldan
2010-04-21, 12:13 PM
I'd love to go hiking more, really, but I can't: congenital heart defect and lung problems with unknown cause. Means I have problems walking up a flight of stairs.

Coplantor
2010-04-21, 12:17 PM
I'd love to have the time and the money to go hiking (it would be cool to play DnD at the top a particualry high rocky hill:smalltongue:).

The most "exploring" I did was getting lost on purpose here in the city and find my way back home, no buses, no taxis, those were the rules.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-04-21, 12:30 PM
Yeh, me be hardcore 4 shoor. Gn 4 LARP'ing in a coupla weeko's.
In the Netherlands, where almost every ''forest'' is planted and such, and it's 20/30 min orso away from a city...

:smalltongue:

Though yes, I do like the outdoors. Just not the dutch outdoors.

I've rafted in 2 mountainranges now and hiked a bit(not that much, lazy'ness be me.*goes into a tent to play Pokemon Red for three weeks) in three.

RS14
2010-04-21, 12:30 PM
The coolest place I've ever been would have to be Druid Arch in Canyonlands. It's huge, and the view down the canyon is beautiful. Later that afternoon, I hiked through Chesler park and the Joint.

Angels' Landing and the Subway in Zion are also both very cool. I'll see if I can post some photos later this evening.

Next year, I'm planning to help lead my college's pre-orientation backpacking trip to the Mammoth Lakes area. We've marked some hot springs to visit, as well as Iceberg Lake. One (hardcore) group will possibly summit Koip peak (12,962ft).

I've did a little bit of exploring in Dawn Mine last year. It's a small gold mine that was abandoned in the 1950s and was never closed up.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 01:19 PM
The coolest place I've ever been would have to be Druid Arch in Canyonlands. It's huge, and the view down the canyon is beautiful. Later that afternoon, I hiked through Chesler park and the Joint.
Hey, cool, I've never actually seen a desert.

Teddy
2010-04-21, 01:48 PM
Ahh, hiking. Sweden is a really cool country when it comes to that part. We've got mountains, forests and an unique coastline, and the best part is that the nature (several hiking- and orienteering-friendly forests in this case) is just outside the door, even though I'm living in our fourth largest city. I am a bit lazy sometimes, but I do run orienteering (only for recreational purpose, however), and every now and then, I go hiking with my school class.

Also, because they were cheapskates we tended to visit free parks with caves and so gained my love of spelunking. So far the Underwater Sea in Tennessee is my favorite. You have to pay to get a boat, but still cool, especially the glass bottom letting you see the giant albino catfish without eyes.

Just curious, is this a sea under water? How does that work? Underwater cave (sounds pretty cool)?

skywalker
2010-04-21, 01:55 PM
I used to hike a lot. Did some mountain biking too. Then my dad got old and lazy (well, in some ways) and traded man-powered transportation for horseback. You just do a lot more work before your trip, instead of doing a lot on the trip. But somehow it's easier for old people.

Anyway, like I said, I haven't been very many cool places hiking. I went backpacking for a senior trip once, and I came home saying I really liked it. Then my parents tried to take me camping. When I refused, they said "I thought you said you liked sleeping in tents, etc." To which I responded "I like hiking, then sleeping in the tent. Not just sleeping in the tent next to the car because... we can?"

EDIT:
Just curious, is this a sea under water? How does that work? Underwater cave (sounds pretty cool)?

It's not underwater, it's a lake in a cave. Does that make sense?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 02:05 PM
Had dyslexia there.

It's call 'The Lost Sea', and is the U.S.'s largest underground body of water I meant to say.

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060326/images/trav_lostsea280.jpg

TheThan
2010-04-21, 02:07 PM
Hey, cool, I've never actually seen a desert.

I live in one, they're brown.

Seriously though I used to go gold mining (panning, some crevicing) with my folks, would still do it if they were in better health. Also I’ve done the whole Yosemite trip, you know, hike up half dome, visits the various falls etc. Would have enjoyed it more if it wasn’t for the chain smoking Japanese tourists (mainly the chain smoking part).

I’ve been camping a few times (tents people, no RVs), it’s fun if you don’t mind sleeping on the ground. We’ve been talking about doing it again but its not quite time yet (weather’s a bit unpredictable). The thing about camping is that you need something to do when you go, something like say fishing, hunting, hiking, bird watching, mining, etc, you know something to keep you entertained. Otherwise you just spend the whole time lounging around the tents all day, which can get really boring.

Eldan
2010-04-21, 02:21 PM
Oh, yeah. I remembered when the cookie monster mentioned it...

Most of Switzerland seems like the Netherlands in that regard: walk ten minutes in any direction and you see a village. Walk into any forest and you find either a road or a high voltage line. And most places are within earshot of a major road, so you pretty much always hear that distant wooshing of cars.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-21, 02:29 PM
I used to do stuff alot, back when I was in boyscouts. Most of the places I've been are pretty local though. I have hiked part of the Appalachian trail, and up Table Rock twice (went halfway up a third time, but 7 yellow jacket stings made me go back down early.) There is also a really cool waterfall just off Lake Hartwell that me and my family used to hike to every so often when I was younger. Oh, and I've rafted several rivers in SC

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-21, 02:30 PM
I did a lot of hiking when I was younger and lived in the vicinity of the Alps. I don't do much hiking here, though I could if I wanted. I like to go rock climbing by the river.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-04-21, 02:31 PM
I go walking around britain alot. Every year our family goes somewhere in these sceptred isles for a week just to walk. I especially enjoy walking in the highlands of scotland (down here in the south the closest thing we have to mountains are the south downs)...

druid91
2010-04-21, 02:37 PM
Also, because they were cheapskates we tended to visit free parks with caves and so gained my love of spelunking. So far the underground Lost Sea, in Tennessee, is my favorite. You have to pay to get a boat, but still cool, especially the glass bottom letting you see the giant albino catfish without eyes.

Where is this? that sounds awesome.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 02:39 PM
Where is this? that sounds awesome.
Sweetwater, TN

http://www.thelostsea.com/

I’ve been camping a few times (tents people, no RVs), it’s fun if you don’t mind sleeping on the ground. We’ve been talking about doing it again but its not quite time yet (weather’s a bit unpredictable). The thing about camping is that you need something to do when you go, something like say fishing, hunting, hiking, bird watching, mining, etc, you know something to keep you entertained. Otherwise you just spend the whole time lounging around the tents all day, which can get really boring.
Oh, no kidding. I refuse to hike with folks who think it means sitting around with a beer and napping outside. I'm a photographer and naturalist so I could spend all day without boredom, just looking at the cool stuff, catching insects, exploring hard to reach areas.

Thing is, also don't mind camping per se, but I don't like tents and all that crap. Blanket down under the stars for me. Tent is only useful if it's raining. Bugs and beasts will find their way into a tent...

Pyrian
2010-04-21, 02:41 PM
I like to go hiking a lot:

http://pyrian.livejournal.com/tag/hiking

Jokasti
2010-04-21, 02:44 PM
What is this... this... outside, you speak of?
Hissssssssssss

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 02:44 PM
I like to go hiking a lot:

http://pyrian.livejournal.com/tag/hiking
Ha, cool holey sneakers :smallamused:

Too bad you're on the opposite side of the country, trying to get a group together...

Ever been to Sequioa National Park? Always wanted to go there.

Pyrian
2010-04-21, 03:30 PM
Ha, cool holey sneakers :smallamused:Sneakers nothing, those were rough tough hiking boots that served me well for several years. :smallfrown:

Too bad you're on the opposite side of the country, trying to get a group together...Keep me posted, I do travel a bit. :smallcool:

Ever been to Sequioa National Park? Always wanted to go there.Went there once as a kid. Cool place. :smallsmile:

Cobalt
2010-04-21, 03:39 PM
Throughout the year, the orienteering team at my school (of which I am a part of) went all over the eastern United States. We saw plenty of nature, along with some of the steepest hills on earth (The North East), out there. It's pretty fun, and really gives you a chance to enjoy nature.

You know, when you're not high-tailing it from one point to the next.

Vaynor
2010-04-21, 03:41 PM

I go camping there every summer, and have also been backpacking/hiking through there many a time. I also took a hike in Kings Canyon, that place is awesome.

I like hiking and backpacking, but unfortunately for most of the year the area I live in is pretty boring to hike in (I like photography as well, and the two generally go well together).

TheThan
2010-04-21, 04:33 PM

Now that you mention it, I’ve been to Kings Canyon, Sequioa National Park and Mono Lake, but its been ages since I’ve been to anywhere so my memory is a bit hazy. In fact, I grew up sort of sandwiched in between all three, and they’re not terribly far (as the crow flies that is) from where I’m living now.

Castaras
2010-04-21, 04:36 PM
Does loving exploring through dark dank caves count as hiking? Probably not, but I love those caves you go to with the gorgeous underground lakes and beautiful stalactites and stalagmites. Normally only go to them when on holiday though. But it's fun. :smallsmile:

Walking-wise, I love the darker side of landscapes - I prefer Dartmoor (http://www.adrian-moore.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/dartmoor/dartmoor-13.jpg) over Exmoor (http://www.getusonline.co.uk/exmoornationalpark/images/stories/title/Exmoor_National_Park_Online_magazine_intro.jpg) any day. The pictures don't highlight particularly well the subtle change there is - Dartmoor is scrubbier and more wild, in a way, while Exmoor is more picturesque.

But most of all I like dark dank caves. I'm certainly no claustrophobe. :smallbiggrin:

RS14
2010-04-21, 05:01 PM
Ok, photos.

My previous trip to Mammoth Lakes: http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/RS14_photo/Backpacking/P8250039.jpg

Interior of Dawn Mine. Water is dripping down from the shaft. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/RS14_photo/p4270046.jpg

Druid Arch: http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/RS14_photo/p3190227.jpg

The view down-canyon from Druid Arch: http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/RS14_photo/p3190228.jpg

Chesler Park: http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/RS14_photo/p3190241.jpg

Angel's Landing, seen from Cable Mountain. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/RS14_photo/PA200208.jpg

Bottom section of the Subway. The tighter sections I climbed down through were harder to photograph. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/RS14_photo/PA180123.jpg

TheThan
2010-04-21, 05:03 PM
Cool. Is that the volcano in the background? or is that a different mammoth than the one I know.

RS14
2010-04-21, 05:12 PM
Cool. Is that the volcano in the background? or is that a different mammoth than the one I know.

No, just three peaks clustered close together. My map doesn't list a name, but they're the three ~11,300ft peaks just to the south of Duck lake.

Mammoth mountain itself is actually fairly ugly--it's just a grey hump, from what I've been able to see. That does make it suited for skiing, though, and thus popular.

TheThan
2010-04-21, 06:20 PM
No, just three peaks clustered close together. My map doesn't list a name, but they're the three ~11,300ft peaks just to the south of Duck lake.

Mammoth mountain itself is actually fairly ugly--it's just a grey hump, from what I've been able to see. That does make it suited for skiing, though, and thus popular.

ahh, that's cool. I've never had the opportunity to check out the place.

golentan
2010-04-21, 06:22 PM
I go for walks in the "mountains" right above my town. They're pretty awesome, I've found one clearing I particularly like with a great view of the ocean and some nice seasonal plants.

Danne
2010-04-21, 06:56 PM
Oh, no kidding. I refuse to hike with folks who think it means sitting around with a beer and napping outside. I'm a photographer and naturalist so I could spend all day without boredom, just looking at the cool stuff, catching insects, exploring hard to reach areas.

This. Doesn't count if you've got your refrigerator and DVD player with you. Isn't camping.

I've been some pretty nifty places, though I don't get out as much as I'd like. We went to Hawaii when I was eight (Oahu and the Big Island) and hiked through the desert to the Green Sand Beach (picture for you (http://pixdaus.com/pics/1247358769GHaYPvi.jpg)) -- though we couldn't swim there because the waves were too rough. We did a day hike across the lava fields, and walking back in the dark we could see the glow of the lava behind us. We also did some exploring in a lava tube.

More recently, I visted some friends in Norway a few years back and did some hiking in various mountains (http://tawnykit.livejournal.com/294215.html). We also road a ship up through Geirangerfjord (http://tawnykit.livejournal.com/296170.html).

I also rock climb, but mostly local places. I'm aiming to get down to Seneca Rocks someday, but with my dad's shoulder the way it is that's not going to happen until I can find a new climbing buddy. :smallfrown:

Gaelbert
2010-04-21, 07:05 PM
Living in California I get to see a lot of different neat places. We have a great variety. I've been hiking through the mountains on the Pacific Rim, camping in redwood forests, hiking through Joshua Tree Park. I went to a ranch in Arizona and had a blast riding horses through the desert. The most beautiful place I've been was the top of Mt. Diamondhead in Hawaii. As mountains go, it's not that high. I would tend towards calling it a hill actually. But when I made it to the top, I got to see a double rainbow over Waikiki Beach and the perfectly blue Pacific Ocean.

Orzel
2010-04-21, 07:18 PM
I've forgotten all the names of places I've hiked. Most places were wooded areas outside/around Rochester, NY.

Although certain parts of Brooklyn at late night can be adventurous if alone. But that''s more of stupid than exploration.

I walked around each time I go to Carraicou, Grenada (where my father's side is from) but I doubt that counts since most trips were when I was very young.

Pyrian
2010-04-21, 08:04 PM
Doesn't count if you've got your refrigerator and DVD player with you. Isn't camping.If you carried your fridge 20 miles on your back, it's still camping. :smallbiggrin:

Danne
2010-04-21, 08:08 PM
If you carried your fridge 20 miles on your back, it's still camping. :smallbiggrin:

True. :smallbiggrin:

Thursday
2010-04-21, 08:39 PM
(down here in the south the closest thing we have to mountains are the south downs)...

You do have the brilliantly named Fulking Hill, which is painfully steep. Well, it is when you are surveying it and have to walk up and down ten times or so in a morning...
In the summer I get to spend days at a time trekking over parts of Britain looking for insects, and get paid for it, which is pretty good.

I like to get to Scotland at least once a year and Bag a few more Munros (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munro) especially in February for winter conditions, I'm trying to get enough mountain days logged for my mountain leader qualification.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 08:40 PM
In the summer I get to spend days at a time trekking over parts of Britain looking for insects, and get paid for it, which is pretty good..
How does that work out?

Thursday
2010-04-21, 08:49 PM
I'm an Ecologist. For a few years I got fieldwork collecting insects for my PhD work, and latterly there has always been wildlife surveying work of some kind or another going on in the summer, for Universities or Ecological consultancy firms. It can be a pretty gruelling walk, sometimes.

Annoyingly this year it isn't looking so likely, because of the recession.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 08:52 PM
I'm an Ecologist. For a few years I got fieldwork collecting insects for my PhD work, and latterly there has always been wildlife surveying work of some kind or another going on in the summer, for Universities or Ecological consultancy firms. It can be a pretty gruelling walk, sometimes
I'd love to get paid to do what I do anyway. Wonder if I could get a job doing that...

Thursday
2010-04-21, 08:58 PM
Worth a go.. you need a few qualifications, (I'm not sure why in many cases but still..) If you're in the UK, I could help, but I don't think you are?

Also, there really doesn't seem to be much out there compared to other years. Stupid economy, everyone's cutting back.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 09:01 PM
Yeah, southeastern USA here. My state is currently at 10% unemployment and my county 12%. 3 times worse than the lowest since I was born...

Thursday
2010-04-21, 09:06 PM
well, I was told the other day Australia's the place for that sort of work at the moment.. A colleague over there sent me some job ads, maybe thats the way.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 09:08 PM
well, I was told the other day Australia's the place for that sort of work at the moment.. A colleague over there sent me some job ads, maybe thats the way.
I've always wanted to go to Australia... oh man, gotta look into that. Wouldn't be permanent, but even six months or so...

ForzaFiori
2010-04-21, 09:39 PM
Yeah, southeastern USA here. My state is currently at 10% unemployment and my county 12%. 3 times worse than the lowest since I was born...

Could be worse. I'm all of 2 hours north of you, and last I checked, were above the average unemployment. Makes finding a job as a high school aged kid (or even as a college freshman next year) insanely difficult.

sparkyinbozo
2010-04-21, 10:00 PM
Grew up in rural Montana here, so explored a bit of the Rockies. It's amazing how beautiful they can be.

Agamid
2010-04-21, 10:07 PM
i've been around most of australia (and mostly in the back of a Kombi van).
and been up the garden route in south africa.
and around parts of PNG.

my dad hates big cities so have spent a lot of time exploring the less-beaten tracks and my parents first met through a caving club, so have done a bit of caving (though not as much as i'd like).
unfortunately i tend to be a bit too frail for most expeditions i'd like to go on.

Jack Squat
2010-04-21, 10:30 PM
Most recently, I went to Morristown, TN to see the ruins of the house from Evil Dead.

I've done some hiking around East/Central TN, and have done urban exploration in just about every city I've been too. (Not necessarily the exploring abandoned buildings/storm drains stuff - mostly just walk around cities to see what's there)

skywalker
2010-04-21, 10:47 PM

Thing is, also don't mind camping per se, but I don't like tents and all that crap. Blanket down under the stars for me. Tent is only useful if it's raining. Bugs and beasts will find their way into a tent...

There is nothing wrong with hiking a good few miles, setting up a tent, and drinking a beer or five two. At least you're outside.

Also, bugs and beasts don't find their way into a well-done tent... They'll find their way into your... personal space much faster when you're on a blanket under the stars.

THAC0
2010-04-21, 11:39 PM
Looove hiking, camping, and backpacking!

And, since the husband will actually be home this summer, we'll be going out every weekend, all over the state. Everything from day hikes to our epic 9-day backpack hunt. :smallbiggrin: I love Alaska.

drakir_nosslin
2010-04-22, 03:22 AM
I hike a lot, especially when I'm back home at my parents place. Either I just take a tent and some stuff and go out on my own and sleep a night or two outdoors somewhere in the forest. Really nice, quiet and relaxing. Or, in the winter, me and a couple of friends go up to the Fells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fell) (sp?). It's great for skiing, mostly cross country, but sometimes I bring my snowboard as well, then you can cross country ski up to a peak somewhere and then you strap on the board and you can get some amazing slopes.

I'd love to go to a desert for a longer time as well, right now I'm thinking of maybe saving up money for a two week trip to the Gobi desert, that'd be great.

Amiel
2010-04-22, 04:35 AM
I've raced/ran up the Great Wall; also literally. The angles on some of those steps are insane, you really do need to be all fours to maintain verticality.

I really like the Australian bush, but haven't explored it as much as I would like (instead, I explore our CBD); it's great that we have so much unspoiled bush nearby (in the form of parklands and the like). I'd also really like to explore creepy, abandoned, old buildings.

I have friends who are dedicated stormwater sewer explorers.

With others, I've been to some pretty rugged places and hiked through some pretty treacherous terrain; also really would like to go skiing sometime.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-22, 02:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with hiking a good few miles, setting up a tent, and drinking a beer or five two. At least you're outside.
Sure, but that's assuming they hike :smalltongue:

Also, bugs and beasts don't find their way into a well-done tent... They'll find their way into your... personal space much faster when you're on a blanket under the stars.
All I can say is every time I've actually used a tent, any tent, its buggy by morning.

Ranna
2010-04-22, 03:24 PM
I love going out but I also am really really good at getting lost - D of E really did nothing to help me whatsoever I was the one who would pick blackberries for everyone and only get given the map when we had the rare bit of obvious footpath markings.

We have a lot of sand-dunes and pine woods around where I live and I wander about in those with the dog lots.

Felixaar
2010-04-22, 07:07 PM
Oh, si. I once walked up Frenchman's peak and then walked down... the wrong way! I had to walk back up and back down again so I could find the car. I crawled into a small cave and was attacked by a warm of bats. And I did Lion's Head in Cape Town.

I love this kind of stuff, but, as many people here would agree, don't do it nearly enough.