PDA

View Full Version : DnD3.5 [War] Spells in Use

Benejeseret
2010-04-21, 12:39 PM
Has anyone tried out the [War] spell specialization feat and spells in a game?

After reading over the DR309 magazine I have been itching to try out the basics and wonder if anyone has experience.

Basics (keeping general to not break any copyrights) is that spells go up one spell level, have their range and area greatly increased, any target/summon spells now target/summon 25x (25/level), they cost a decent amount in reagents (thousands), and casting time is now 1-10 minutes. The article clearly states that any spell can be modified to become a [war] spell with DM's approval.

I have been toying with 2 character concepts to make a [war] caster.

1) A spirit shaman whose spirit guide is Sun Tzu. Allowing guide to take over concentration of [war] spells to avoid interruption during casting/enactment. Many of the druid spells would become great [war] spells for mass battlefield control and buffs.

2) A warmage - seems an obvious choice and the Sudden X metamagic abilities would allow to greatly enhance [war] spells. Metamagics in general can still be applied to [war] spells (never says it can't) and this opens an number of intriguing possibilities.

A 120 foot spread empowered fireball substituted to electricity and Born of Three Thunders blasting an army off its feet as it fries them is an awesome concept.

Thoughts?

Benejeseret
2010-04-22, 10:04 AM
No one's used them then?

Oh well, at least that cuts the chances they are overpowered for sure...might help convince a DM actually.

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-22, 10:12 AM
I have seen them, but never tried. In my opinion, it's very easy find a workaround and break them, unless there is some "gentlemen agreement".

Tytalus
2010-04-22, 11:55 AM
Without such optimization, the spells aren't worth it in most games. The costs are too high, such huge area of effects hardly ever comes into play, and the casting time is often prohibitive.

For actual (large-scale) war campaigns, they do sound like fun, though.