PDA

View Full Version : Help with warmage optimization.

druid91
2010-04-21, 01:21 PM
So how Could I turn a war-mage into the magic artillery unit it was meant to be without making it too ridiculously overpowered?
It is going to be an RP heavy game and I don't want to overpower everyone, But it is a war-mage after all.
For any Prcs there has to be a justification as part of the fluff is that the world is still so young that older magic using characters could have actually been taught by their respective deities.
Effectively the character would be the first member of that Prc, ever.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-21, 01:26 PM
Warmages can spontaneously cast from their entire list.

Go rainbow servant to get the entire cleric's spell list added to your own.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-21, 01:27 PM
If you go with text trumps table, Rainbow Servant fits the flavor and gives him the full Cleric spell list, which you could use for things like Divine Power and such.

Edit: Ninja'd

druid91
2010-04-21, 01:30 PM
Which book is that in?

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-21, 01:33 PM
Which book is that in?Complete Divine.

senrath
2010-04-21, 01:33 PM
Complete Divine.

Edit: Ninja'd.

The Shadowmind
2010-04-21, 01:39 PM
Sandshaper isn't to bad of a PrC, Rainbow servant is better. I think you lose 2 caster levels from Sandshaper thought.

druid91
2010-04-21, 01:40 PM
Well sand-shaper has bonus points because I own the book. So is there anything else? good feats, and such? though it does require you to take a touchstone feat. Touchstone feats are evil.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-21, 01:42 PM
There's the Versatile Spellcaster feat that lets you tie two lower-level spell slots together to cast a higher level spell.

Also, the Fell feats (especially Fell Drain) and Heighten Spell are very nice.

Also, metamagic reducers.

senrath
2010-04-21, 01:43 PM
Touchstone: City of the Dead isn't that bad, though. It's not the best, but I rather like it (provided your DM allows you relatively easy access back to the City when you need to recharge, that is).

Gnaeus
2010-04-21, 01:47 PM
Arcane disciple is almost a must if you aren't going into a PRC like rainbow serpent and if you can swing a decent wis.

druid91
2010-04-21, 01:50 PM
Touchstone: City of the Dead isn't that bad, though. It's not the best, but I rather like it (provided your DM allows you relatively easy access back to the City when you need to recharge, that is).

Well thats the problem, Either it will have to wait until the first leg of the campaign is over, Or I will never get to recharge again.

The details I know are that all of the standard races, Elves, halflings, gnomes, and dwarves were all created on this small island, It is getting a bit crowded there and so a new land was created along with a massive ship to get us there. Our characters are going to be leaders in the community who have to get the people there safely and establish a new home. If things get that far it is going to become a sandbox.

senrath
2010-04-21, 01:53 PM
Still, 4 uses of Mass Charm Monster 1/week is pretty cool. And the +1 bonus to all charisma based checks is pretty nice, since that never goes away.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-21, 01:53 PM
I suggest taking Warmage until you can take Sandshaper, take a 1-2 level dip into it, then take War Weaver and Abjurant Champion to finish off this build

Doc Roc
2010-04-21, 01:55 PM
What books do you own?

druid91
2010-04-21, 01:59 PM
Sand storm, complete arcane, Draconomicon , and the players guide to ebberon. I have a friend who lets me use spell compendium though.

Draz74
2010-04-21, 02:06 PM
Also, metamagic reducers.

This. The other suggestions you're getting are ways to become more powerful by learning to do stuff besides blasting. But it sounded like you want someone whose role in combat really is to chuck energy damage at opponents until they fall over dead. And metamagic feats, and reducers, are the way to make blasting powerful. Too powerful, if you pull out all the stops. But if you use maybe one cheesy metamagic trick (Arcane Thesis?) instead of all of them, you can strike a balance as a nice blaster.

Fell Drain and other Fell metamagics were also a good suggestion.

senrath
2010-04-21, 02:09 PM
Sand storm, complete arcane, Draconomicon , and the players guide to ebberon. I have a friend who lets me use spell compendium though.

Well, with just those books, dipping into Sand Shaper to pick up the extra spells is probably worth your while, even with the potentially dead feat.

druid91
2010-04-21, 02:29 PM
But it sounded like you want someone whose role in combat really is to chuck energy damage at opponents until they fall over dead.

Pretty much, chucking energy damage at opponents is my goal. Basically I want him to be the one called upon to explode people/buildings/monsters sky high.