PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Who's Weeping Angels <3.5>

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-21, 01:30 PM
Yes, from quite possibly the most suspenseful episode of Dr. Who, Blink, comes the Weeping Angels.

But, how could this be pulled off in D&D?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-21, 02:03 PM
I don't really see how the whole kills you and sends you through time doesn't work to well. D&D doesn't use facing which would be very important.
As cool as they are I don't think it work to well in D&D while maintaining the essence of the monster.
P.S Next Episode of Doctor Who... Their back!

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-21, 02:06 PM
I don't really see how the whole kills you and sends you through time doesn't work to well. D&D doesn't use facing which would be very important.
As cool as they are I don't think it work to well in D&D while maintaining the essence of the monster.
P.S Next Episode of Doctor Who... Their back!

So a "lesser" version is out as well. One that deal -levels or ability score damage

to your PS: Holy *&%$!

Kylarra
2010-04-21, 02:16 PM
Old, but this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6009139) might be a start.

Randel
2010-04-21, 06:52 PM
As for the sending people back in time bit... maybe instead when they hit you your character is aged by a number of years and teleported to a nearby location prone and unconcious. Thus, you lose years off of your lifespan but stay in the present instead of going back in time. Fluff wise, say that the Weeping Angels are linked to an alternate demiplane where time flows differently and they gain power by sucking time out of people. The player might spend a few seconds in that demiplane before getting spat back out into the material plane.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-21, 07:06 PM
...quite possibly the most suspenseful episode of Dr. Who, Blink...

Midnight? Silence in the Library? The Empty Child?

On a more serious note, this might really be hard to do without using the facing variant. And the sending you back in time sound more like a plot hook than an encounter. Also, homebrew may be a better place for this, but it's a bit late for that (unless you bug a mod, but I'm sure they have more important things to do).

Traveler
2010-04-21, 08:16 PM
Sadly, it would be vary hard to do in D&D. In the show "Blink" was based around characters who could not fight back. In D&D, players tend fight anything that looks like xp. That and time travel causes all kind of headaches.

At low levels though, and changing back in time stuff to stat drains, then they would be scary.
Say 1st-3rd level characters, Angels stated as though they were made of metal, Angels have way surpior speed, far away from help, now were cooking.

Bigbrother87
2010-04-21, 08:41 PM
Given adventurers, as soon as they suspected there was something up with the statues, well, goodbye statues.

We haven't yet been told if they can reform once smashed, and as soon as the party lost just one, and saw what was standing over the spot, there would be a fine powder on the ground before too long.

But maybe as something they never face directly. The Weeping Angels know that, as adventurers, their lives are going to be shorter than most on principle. The Townspeople however? Fair Game.

Wait, adventurers would be forced to investigate the disappearances...Thus they would STILL come against the angels.

Cool concept, CREEPY episode, and I wish I was more helpful with the execution...

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-21, 11:22 PM
Bigbrother87 adventurers would be much more prime meat. Their potential energy would be much greater then any farmer. An adventurer does more in a few years then a peasant does in a lifetime.

We haven't even been told if they CAN be harmed as statues, the doctor says "you can't kill a stone' in reference to the weeping angels so its likely you can only kill one when your not looking at it.

Randal the aging thing doesn't work either they don't suck the life out of you, might as well do

holywhippet
2010-04-21, 11:59 PM
I can imagine how players would abuse this. Player A gets sent back in time. Player A uses a combination of spells (like wish or reincarnate) to live long enough to get back to the point when they were sent back in time. Player A then backstabs the weeping angel while it is sending the younger version of themselves back in time.

Myou
2010-04-22, 03:59 AM
The angels sent people back in time, that's not exactly scary or threatening. In D&D it's mildly annoying. Mostly for the DM.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-22, 06:08 AM
It is impossible to do the sheer horror of the weeping angels because anything to the party will either be TPK or XP... in D&D, there really isn't much middle ground.

It would run *MUCH* better in a CoC game...

Barlen
2010-04-22, 11:00 AM
Might want to try a slightly different approach and have them use a magic jar like attack. Party finds a bunch of statues that are some nastys who have been turned to stone but who can attack the party through magic jar and possess one of them. This traps the PC in the statue. Saw this originally in World of Greyhawk, so its been around for a while.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-22, 11:23 AM
I actually like the "Rapid Aging" effect, with the exception it'd only be the negatives, sorta like taking ability damage