PDA

View Full Version : Recurve Bow: What would its stats or whatever be?

enigmatime
2010-04-21, 02:53 PM
Okay, so, recently (literally an hour ago) I fell in love with the recurve. I thought it would be pretty cool to have a Ranger or something that has one but the first thing I thought was, "What would its stats be?" So I come to you, the people of Giant In The Playground (or atleast some of you), what would the stats be for a Recurve?

vasharanpaladin
2010-04-21, 02:56 PM
4e: Pick your favorite bow (short, long, or great) and describe accordingly.

3.x: As above, but use the compound version.

Spiryt
2010-04-21, 02:59 PM
Technically recurved shape of limbs generally improves the bow mechanics, because it lessen the angle between the fully drawn string and the limbs.

In terms of game such D&D I would say that simply "well made recurve" should indicate that bow is masterwork.

sigurd
2010-04-21, 03:00 PM
The Recurve is a permutation of the composite bow. It is not intrinsically an order of magnitude different from the rest of the bows. If you want your composite bow to be a recurve change the label and keep playing.

enigmatime
2010-04-21, 03:13 PM
Well, I was talking about how it makes alot more noise when shot, the amount of power you get with it, etcetera.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-21, 03:16 PM
I'd just make it a Mighty Composite Longbow, honestly. There's not that much of a difference.

Spiryt
2010-04-21, 03:19 PM
The Recurve is a permutation of the composite bow. It is not intrinsically an order of magnitude different from the rest of the bows. If you want your composite bow to be a recurve change the label and keep playing.

Not really, some perfectly uniform (wooden) bows were recurved quite often too.

Ashtagon
2010-04-21, 03:21 PM
There's nothing intrinsically "mighty" about a recurve bow. The one I used to use had a 32 lb draw weight, which is rather pathetic as bows go.

Just pick your favourite of the four standard bow statblocks, and fluff to taste.

enigmatime
2010-04-21, 03:24 PM
There's nothing intrinsically "mighty" about a recurve bow. The one I used to use had a 32 lb draw weight, which is rather pathetic as bows go.

Just pick your favourite of the four standard bow statblocks, and fluff to taste.

Thank you. I should probably just do that for both the Composite Longbow and Composite Shortbow.

GenPol
2010-04-21, 03:31 PM
I think that a composite shortbow would be the closest equivalent to a recurve bow, but I say that not knowing much about bows. Ashtagon's advice is probably the best.

Zeta Kai
2010-04-21, 03:48 PM
As someone who took archery lessons (not that I was any good, but I was there), I'd say with confidence that a recurve bow is a composite bow in all but name.

TheYoungKing
2010-04-21, 03:52 PM
How about a compound bow? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_bow)

What? Gnomes could make it.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-21, 03:55 PM
How about a compound bow? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_bow)

What? Gnomes could make it.

Ah, what can't gnomes do?

On topic, masterwork composite bow.