PDA

View Full Version : Free Runner class (PEACH) 3.5

Party Foul
2010-04-21, 04:16 PM
Ok well this is day one on this site for me and also my first forum post here! nice, well anyways, I made this class and my friend told me to post it here...
And just to clarify, in the spell descriptions and all i say things like 2minutes/level starting at 5th level, that means every level greater than 4... same goes for when its times per day instead of a time limit.
If you are wondering why Charisma is the stat that i chose for things like his AC bonus look at the bottom of this post.
Free runner

Hit Die: d8
Skills: balance, bluff, climb, concentration, craft, disguise, escape artist, hide, jump, knowledge (planes), move silently, perform, profession, slight of hand, tumble.
Skills at 1st level: (4+int modifier) x4
Skills per level: 4+int modifier

Free Runner
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Jump bonus|Base land speed bonus

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Rebound, lighten gravity, skirmish, run |
+5|
+0

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Basic Parkour, Uncanny Dode|
+5|
+0

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Flick attack|
+10|
+10

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4| spider climb, Evasion|
+10|
+10

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Follow, Advanced Parkour |
+15|
+10

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5| |
+15|
+20

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Dimension door, haste|
+20|
+20

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|flick attack (2 attacks)|
+20|
+20

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Freedom of movement|
+25|
+30

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7| |
+25|
+30

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Phase door|
+30|
+30

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Parkour Masterl|
+30|
+40

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Greater Teleport, plane shift|
+35|
+40

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9| |
+35|
+40

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Flick attack (3 attacks)|
+40|
+50

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10| |
+40|
+50

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10| Improved Uncanny Dodge|
+40|
+50

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11||
+45|
+60

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11||
+45|
+60

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Time Stop|
+50|
+60[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Free runners are proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice.

Free runners are not proficient with any shields or armor. If a free runner uses any a shield or armor, they lose their AC bonuses, Speed Bonuses, and Jump bonuses.

AC Bonus
The free runner adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a free runner gains a +1 bonus to AC at 1st level. This bonus increases by 1 at 5th and for every five free runner levels thereafter (+2 at 5th, +3 at 10th, +4 at 15th level, and +5 at 20th level).
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch-attacks or when the free runner is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor heavier than light, when his charisma drops below 10, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Lighten Gravity
A free runner takes 1d6/level less damage from falling, has a carrying capacity of having +5 strength, and the feat weapon finesse effects his martial weapon too. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Skirmish
Free runners get skirmish at the same progression as scouts. (basically a rogue sneak attack and +1 AC after moving 10 feet at levels 3, 7, 11, 15, and 19 after moving 10ft)

Run
Free runner gains the feat run.

Basic Parkour
The free runners naturally pick up elements in parkour and get the following bonuses.
- Their movement is not reduced when there is an obstacle in front of them because of all of their practice getting over and around things as quickly as possible.
- They can repel from one wall to another and keep jumping up from the wall with a +5 addition to the DC each jump. You cannot repel off the same wall twice in a row in the same jump.
- when jumping, a hop up doesn’t take the 10ft of movement that it normally would.
- Pulling yourself up after grabbing onto an edge takes no climb check
- When climbing a free runner is only slowed to half of their ground speed.

Evasion
At 2nd level and higher, a free runner can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful reflex saving throw an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the free runner is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless free runner does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Uncanny Dodge
Starting at 2nd level, a free runner retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (He still loses any Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.)
If a character gains uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge.

Flick Attack
The free runner uses an immediate action to teleport right next to an enemy, attack them, and teleport back. He must return to where he started from after attacking the enemy. This attack does not provoke an attack of opportunity, although the free runner may still be hit if the enemy had an attack readied for it.
A free runner gets 3 flick attacks per day starting at third level plus one for every three levels after third level.
Also, when free runners get extra attacks (level 8 and level 15) that effects flick attack, and you can attack the same person multiple times, or hit multiple people in one flick attack.
Flick attack has a range of 200ft + 10ft/level
In order to bring someone back with the caster, the free runner must succeed with a touch attack, then the other person can go if they are willing or must make a Will Save to resist going. (the DC is 10+charisma modifier)
If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he can’t use flick attack.

Spider Climb
A free runner gets the effect of spider climb at will. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Follow
When anyone uses a teleport, plane shift, or other magical transportation spell of that sort, a free runner can sense the residue left from the spell from 1min/level (starting with 5th) ago. Not only do they know exactly where it is, but they can also follow the caster to the exact same spot as a free action if they are within arms reach of where the teleport spell was used. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Advanced Parkour
The free runner advances in his parkour abilities and gains the following abilities in addition to the previous ones in basic parkour.
- +4 bonus on constitution checks to continue running
- They can use their dexterity modifier on climb checks.
- They are not considered flat footed when you are balancing even if you don’t have the 5 ranks in balance you need for this effect.
- When climbing, a free runner is only slowed to ¾ of his land speed.
- Precision jump. When jumping onto a thin space that would require a balance check to stay up, if the free runner succeeds they jump check by 5 or more they don’t need to make the balance check, if they don’t succeed by 5 or more, they may still make the balance check.

Dimension Door
A free runner can use the spell dimension door ability 1 time/ 2 levels every day as an immediate action. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Haste
A free runner gets the effect of the spell haste at will for 1min./level This doesn’t have to be used all at once; it can be split up at the free runners discretion. This is an extraordinary ability. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Freedom of Movement
A free runner gets the effect of the spell freedom of movement at will for 1 min/level every day. This doesn’t have to be used all at once; it can be split up at the free runners discretion. This is an extraordinary ability. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Phase Door
A free runner can use the spell phase door as a spell-like ability 1 time/ 3 levels every day as an immediate action. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Parkour Master
A free runner becomes so accomplished in the art of movement that he or she gains these bonuses in addition to the bonuses in basic and advanced parkour.
- Free stand, a free runner can go from the prone position to a standing position as a free action.
- A free runner can climb at his ground speed as a move action or double at full round action.
- A free runner doesn’t lose his dexterity bonus while climbing.
- Defensive Roll. The free runner can roll with any blow to take less damage from it than he otherwise would. Once per round, when he would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the free runner can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the free runner must attempt a reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, he takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, he takes full damage. He must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute his defensive roll—if he is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, he can’t use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the free runner’s evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll. The free runner ends up in the square right behind them after using this giving anyone in range attacks of opportunity. If there is an obstacle or wall right behind the free runner he cannot use this ability.

Teleport
A free runner can use the spell teleport 1 time/ 4 levels every day. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Plane Shift
A free runner can use the spell plane shift 1 time/ 4 levels every day. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this effect.

Time Stop
A free runner can use the spell time stop once per day but unlike other classes, they can do damage to others in that time frame. This is an extraordinary ability. If a free runners charisma drops below 10 he looses this eff

Free runners are naturally good at finding loopholes in the time-space continuum, but only for themselves, most of their spells do not affect other things. They use sheer will to bend the laws of physics and agility to be the faster than anyone else. Most free runners lean towards the chaotic side because of their immense freedom, but a free runner can be any alignment. Most free runners are amazing jumpers but most of them have a silver tongue and between those, they normally get what they want. The typical free runner would be in a city because of all of the opportunities in a city, but free runners can be anywhere.

this was made to replace the monk. the reason we have this class replacing the monk is because my friend and i are basically working on a crazy urban adventure where you are a resistance group vs. a tyrant that took over the country... basically we are changing a ton of stuff including gods so we felt we had to change a few classes and how spells were cast etc. the point is, this guy isn't going to leave the city, which would make him one of the most useful people because he can get anywhere in the city without being caught by the government...
we are going to post more about everything else later to see what people think, but this was just one of the first major pieces we finished.

Nodwick22
2010-04-21, 04:27 PM
This is an interesting class

Make the Skills 4*Int instead of 2*int make him a bit better at deciving stuff

Temotei
2010-04-21, 05:39 PM
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|AC Bonus|Speed Bonus
1|+0|+0|+2|+0|Rebound, lighten gravity, Weapon Finesse|+0|+0 ft.[/table]

There's the first level with the code for a table. Just continue down the levels with that.

Actually...I think I have something (http://pifro.com/). Check that out for table generators.

Bold the headings for abilities, capitalize skills and feats, don't capitalize the class name or class features except where you would normally capitalize a word. Put spells in italics.

The skills section should have the key ability after the skill name, like this: Bluff (Cha).

Light-Hero
2010-04-21, 05:44 PM
How about "fast movement"?

An I think the AC stat should be wis. seems to be intuition thing.

And why is there a reverse gravity field around the free runner. Where does that power come from?

Else I think it is neat, but you should throw in some saving checks.

Party Foul
2010-04-21, 06:59 PM
First of all, thanks for replying so fast.
2nd thanks for the table thing, ill keep that in mind
3rd I was thinking about giving him more skill points, but i was thinking he was on the overpowered side already and there was no point in pushing it, but i agree about that and i think i will change that for now at least.
4th the reason its based on charisma is because how i envisioned this was a wild sort of chaotic guy who used sheer will to bend the rules of physics... also because wisdom is more of a slow finding every detail process. this guy is jumping and moving around fast. so i feel like he would be more rash and acting on first impulse.

Jack of Spades
2010-04-21, 07:18 PM
This post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1183222&postcount=1) has code for the table.

When I read the post later, I'll comment on it riiiight.....

Here.

~Corvus~
2010-04-21, 07:43 PM
First of all, thanks for replying so fast.
2nd thanks for the table thing, ill keep that in mind
3rd I was thinking about giving him more skill points, but i was thinking he was on the overpowered side already and there was no point in pushing it, but i agree about that and i think i will change that for now at least.
4th the reason its based on charisma is because how i envisioned this was a wild sort of chaotic guy who used sheer will to bend the rules of physics... also because wisdom is more of a slow finding every detail process. this guy is jumping and moving around fast. so i feel like he would be more rash and acting on first impulse.

From what I've seen and heard from David Belle and many of his trainees, I have the impression that parkour relies not only on impulse and reflex but also upon incredibly quick and accurate assessment. One needs to be good at judging distance and possibility of making a jump, and so on and so forth. This, to me, necessitates either INT or (more probably) WIS. But this is your project, so go with it...

Forever Curious
2010-04-21, 07:57 PM
From what I've seen and heard from David Belle and many of his trainees, I have the impression that parkour relies not only on impulse and reflex but also upon incredibly quick and accurate assessment. One needs to be good at judging distance and possibility of making a jump, and so on and so forth. This, to me, necessitates either INT or (more probably) WIS. But this is your project, so go with it...

If I recall correctly, parkour and free running rely on different schools of thought.

Parkour = minimizing distance and maximizing efficiency of movement.

Free Running = individual style to arrive at a destination.

Based on this, I understand why it's CHA based over WIS base. Still, it's my opinion that CHA is the "go-to" stat when no other one works. You COULD make it DEX based...which I think makes a lot more sense, but to each his own.

I'll review in more detail what it's in table layout.

~Corvus~
2010-04-21, 08:19 PM
Hmm... General reactions and questions...

What happens to the Free Runner's applied at-will abilites when they are dispelled? Is a certain amount of time removed from the duration? Is the ability suppressed for a certain amount of time? ...or do the abilities avoid dispelling since they are enabled for a timed amount, and not cast explicitly as spells?

Does the class really need both Blink and Blur at the same level? Blink, to me, seems just like a more powerful form of Blur. Is it possible to stack both Blink and Blur and get 70% concealment?

Freedom of Movement and Control Gravity as you make them available seem just utterly broken... Is someone trying to grapple me? Nope they can't... but because it's an at-will power, there's no AoO, it takes no action whatsoever!! I keep Freedom of Movement instated as I Blur and then Control Gravity at a 45-degree angle away from my opponent and... as soon as I'm out of reach, stop Freedom of movement...This character can NEVER EVER be grappled by anything except in an anti-magic field!! That seems far too overpowered to me... Right here, I'm thinking this is an epic-level power... severely epic. This is beyond spell-like abilities... by the time you can use it, it's at 18 minutes /day AT WILL, so even it it's dispelled, you just take 1 second off its duration, if that!

Control Gravity, to me, immediately negates any need for Jump checks except in (gasp) an anti-magic field...because gravity is now your slave. Having trouble falling off a 345-foot-tall building? Well, you're already only going to take half falling damage... for the rest, continually Control Gravity as you fall so you fall in increments up/down that match your ability to negate your falling distance using Slow Fall. Any distance fallen is no problem with this ability as long as there's a wall there.

The Anarresti
2010-04-21, 08:54 PM
Well, as I understand it (I'm the friend that told him to put the class on here in the first place), the duration of the ability is calculated from the level at which it starts. Therefore, at ninth level, you can control your gravity for 2min/day, not 18min/day

Party Foul
2010-04-21, 08:55 PM
If you think about it, control gravity doesnt make you suddenly stop and fly the way you choose, if you consider momentum you couldnt stop a fall unless you start pretty early... i understand its at will and all, but if you consider all the jumping and stuff that this guy is supposed to do, one mess up jump could mean death...
Good point on the blur and blink, i was just looking through the spell lists for what this guy might be able to do... i think im going to drop one of them.
And for avoiding grappling, yea that isnt exactly fair, but in a way thats what this guy is supposed to be good at... he is supposed to be that slippery guy that no one can seem to catch.

and about making it dexterity based... dexterity is already added to the AC so that would be a little bit redundant... i guess i could make it so it doubles the AC bonus of dexterity but that means you could just focus one skill and get everything this guy needs

The Anarresti
2010-04-21, 09:29 PM
So far, as I see it, we have two abilities that charisma matters for: adding to AC and determining the DC of Dismissive Punch.

~Corvus~
2010-04-21, 10:08 PM
If you think about it, control gravity doesnt make you suddenly stop and fly the way you choose, if you consider momentum you couldnt stop a fall unless you start pretty early... i understand its at will and all, but if you consider all the jumping and stuff that this guy is supposed to do, one mess up jump could mean death...
Good point on the blur and blink, i was just looking through the spell lists for what this guy might be able to do... i think im going to drop one of them.
And for avoiding grappling, yea that isnt exactly fair, but in a way thats what this guy is supposed to be good at... he is supposed to be that slippery guy that no one can seem to catch.

and about making it dexterity based... dexterity is already added to the AC so that would be a little bit redundant... i guess i could make it so it doubles the AC bonus of dexterity but that means you could just focus one skill and get everything this guy needs

The way I see it, Gravity control also implies inertia control as a seamless portion of it. I guess we interpret the limits on the ability different ways.

Milskidasith
2010-04-21, 10:44 PM
This class is very weak, just due to it's complete lack of offensive options. Sure, it has every possible way to teleport, an absurd jump bonus, and some AC, but it's BAB is crap, it's proficiencies are crap, and it's HP is crap, at least for a class designed to hit things.

EDIT: Also, how would the Time Stop spell benefit this class, at all? It can only move around during that time, which, while (possibly) useful (considering you can just teleport anyway, it's not a huge benefit), isn't what time stop is actually useful for; it's used for buffing.

~Corvus~
2010-04-22, 06:04 AM
This class is very weak, just due to it's complete lack of offensive options. Sure, it has every possible way to teleport, an absurd jump bonus, and some AC, but it's BAB is crap, it's proficiencies are crap, and it's HP is crap, at least for a class designed to hit things.

EDIT: Also, how would the Time Stop spell benefit this class, at all? It can only move around during that time, which, while (possibly) useful (considering you can just teleport anyway, it's not a huge benefit), isn't what time stop is actually useful for; it's used for buffing.

:sigh: Okay, you DO have a point that the offensive options are weak and that the class may need more "offensive" options. Other than that, I disagree. I think freerunners are agile and quick and can move anywhere... they are the ultimate Urban travelers and messengers and scouts...they aren't totally meant to hit things as much as they are meant to be almost impossible to catch.

I disagree that 3/4 BAB is "crap BAB". By the same token, then, CLERICS have crap BAB? SWORDSAGES have crap BAB? I disagree. Okay, true, clerics and swordsages are more melee-oriented, but perhaps 3/4 BAB make sense with this class.

...if he had Time Stop activated he could RUN AWAY and NO ONE would stop him. It is, after all, the ultimate speed buff. How could Time Stop not benefit ANY class? if ANY class could use Time Stop, I'm sure they would use it! As you state, it can be used for buffing, and to great effect.

At the same time, I can hardly consider a less useful application of Time Stop than for buffing. The one instance I can think of for using Time Stop to buff is if I've just been dispelled of my needed buffs and I need to re-cast them. In this circumstance, I would consider myself with a serious tactical error. But by the time I can cast Time Stop, I always have a Contingent Greater Spell Mantle and Contingent Spell Resistance (by the Craft Contingency feat from Complete Mage) set to cast on me the next time I cast Nerveskitter (a swift-action buff that gives me +20 initiative). So the next time combat starts, I take that swift action to activate my greatest defenses. All the rest of my buffs would already be cast. They would be Empowered and then Persisted through a rod so that they last for a day and a half. The really important buffs would be Heightened, Empowered, and then persisted through a Rod.

How about running away or teleporting during a Time Stop? Why the heck not? As a mage, how about using Time Stop to Gate in a Solar or a Balor and quickly strike a deal? How about using Time Stop to get behind someone and use Shapechange?. How about using Time Stop to summon a Sphere of Annihilation and directing it to kill your enemies?

Party Foul
2010-04-22, 08:08 AM

I didn't say this earlier, the reason we have this class replacing the monk is because my friend and i are basically working on a crazy urban adventure where you are a resistance group vs. a tyrant that took over the country... basically we are changing a ton of stuff including gods so we felt we had to change a few classes and how spells were cast etc. the point is, this guy isn't going to leave the city, which would make him one of the most useful people because he can get anywhere in the city without being caught by the government...
we are going to post more about everything else later to see what people think, but this was just one of the first major pieces we finished

Jack of Spades
2010-04-22, 08:30 AM

This class has more proficiencies than a Monk it was made to replace.

This class has the same HD as the Monk, Ranger, and Cleric-- all made to "hit things."

Also, if this class can't be offensive then you probably just fail as a skirmisher.

Au contraire, by the time you've noticed that you're falling you've already accelerated to at least 20-30 m/s, and your top falling speed (for a Medium humanoid) is around 70 m/s. That takes about 7 seconds for reversed gravity to reduce to zero. An experienced free runner would almost definitely be able to manage that (maybe with a skill check of some sort, but definitely doable). Even if he was a second or two off, the top speed he'll hit the ground with is somewhere around 20 m/s, which a bouncy-tumbly free runner should be able to take in stride.

Which reminds me, this guy should maybe get a bonus to tumble (but hey, people are already saying he's too bouncy-tumbly).

DaTedinator
2010-04-22, 09:16 AM
More weapon proficiencies =/= more offensive capabilities. The monk at least has unarmed strike, flurry of blows, a suite of bonus feats that could include such feats as stunning fist, improved grapple, power attack, or improved trip, and quivering palm. And note that even then, monks are regarded as pretty weak because of their lack of offensive capabilities.

The trouble with this class is that it adds even less to combat than the monk. Sure he'll be difficult to catch, but then the bad guys just won't bother, and they'll kill all his friends. So even within the Mirror's Edge setting, he'll be useful for... running around town, and that's about it.

The Anarresti
2010-04-22, 10:56 AM
What about certain special abilities that fit with the whole "exploit holes in the space-time continuum" thing? Such as abilities to cast slow on opponents, maybe to bring a few friends (or enemies) with him when he teleports, I think that'd be a fair trade off for the control gravity ability.
I'd also like to point out that with the monk, you have to choose between movement or attacking (flurry of blows) in combat. With this class, expecially with the Flick Attack ability, he can attack someone without provoking AoO and be out of reach when their turn starts.
Besides, things like Teleport and Plane Shift are useless if you can't bring your party with you.

Party Foul
2010-04-22, 04:07 PM
I think if he can take people with him that would be cool, especially for something like flick attack... but that could also be very over powered because you could single any one person out from around 400ft away and bring him back and gang up on him.

And another thing to think about, he has an effect that makes it so his martial weapon (which could be something like a battle axe) effected by weapon finesse, so he wouldn't need to use a light dagger or something.

Forever Curious
2010-04-22, 04:12 PM
"This class is crap offensive" (paraphrased for convenience).

Give the class skirmish as a Scout. Fits flavor and allows you to be a competent combatant.

Party Foul
2010-04-22, 04:20 PM
Give the class skirmish as a Scout. Fits flavor and allows you to be a competent combatant.

Sorry i only joined the d&d world a few months ago and i have only worked in one sort of setting, but what does that do? lol :P
oh and what level do you think i should add it at? first?

ForzaFiori
2010-04-22, 05:12 PM
Sorry i only joined the d&d world a few months ago and i have only worked in one sort of setting, but what does that do? lol :P
oh and what level do you think i should add it at? first?

Skirmish is like sneak attack, except instead of needing an opponent to be flat footed, the attacker has to have moved a certain distance that turn. It usually starts from level 1.

Party Foul
2010-04-22, 05:36 PM
Ahh ok, so its basically like moving combat stuff... thanks :) i think ill add that

Realms of Chaos
2010-04-23, 05:59 PM
Time for an in-depth review.

Ok well this is day one on this site for me and also my first forum post here! nice, well anyways, I made this class and my friend told me to post it here...
And just to clarify, in the spell descriptions and all i say things like 2minutes/level starting at 5th level, that means every level greater than 4... same goes for when its times per day instead of a time limit.
If you are wondering why Charisma is the stat that i chose for things like his AC bonus look at the bottom of this post.

Okay. I'll try to keep all of this in mind!

Free runner
Hit Die: d8
Skills: balance, bluff, climb, concentration, craft, disguise, escape artist, hide, jump, knowledge (planes), move silently, perform, profession, slight of hand, tumble.
Skills at 1st level: (4+int modifier) x4
Skills per level: 4+int modifier

Okay. First of all, the hit die is the minimum that most melee classes end up with (with the exception of the rogue, which most people nowadays ignore in favor of the factotum).
Next, the skills seem a little bit odd. I can understand most of them but a couple, such as bluff, disguise, and slight of hand don't make much sense here. Even assuming that you picture Free runner's as possessing an attitude, this seems a bit odd. By the inclusion of these skills, you seem to be implying that the character is likely on the wrong side of the law.
Ok, when a class heavily hints that it should be in a certain campaign, be played with a certain attitude, and seems to encourage certain actions not central to its theme, the class becomes not only campaign specific but a bit character design-specific as well. This isn't bad, mind you, but it does make things a bit harder to critique.
What I'd suggest, to keep a bit of verismilitude in the class, is to either a)rename the class as the "*insert evil nation here* smuggler", b) make a couple skills that the character will use cross-class skills (no harm in doing so), or c) describe all of them as being smugglers and rogues not tolerated by the tyrant in any capacity in the fluff.
Alternately, if you're looking for a roguish name that reflects the ability to travel wherever you want, I'd go with "The Unfettered".

Free Runner
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Jump bonus|AC bonus|Base land speed bonus

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Rebound, lighten gravity, skirmish, weapon finesse|
+5|
+0|
+0

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Extended throw|
+5|
+0|
+0

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Flick attack|
+10|
+0|
+10

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Slow fall (20ft), spider climb|
+10|
+0|
+10

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Follow, blink|
+15|
+1|
+10

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Slow fall (30ft), meld into stone|
+15|
+1|
+20

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Dimension door, haste|
+20|
+1|
+20

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Slow fall (40ft), flick attack (2 attacks)|
+20|
+1|
+20

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Freedom of movement|
+25|
+1|
+30

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Slow fall (50ft), Ethereal throw|
+25|
+2|
+30

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Phase door|
+30|
+2|
+30

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Slow fall (60ft)|
+30|
+2|
+40

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Teleport, plane shift|
+35|
+2|
+40

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Slow fall (70ft), ethereal jaunt|
+35|
+2|
+40

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Flick attack (3 attacks)|
+40|
+3|
+50

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Slow fall (80ft), moment of prescience|
+40|
+3|
+50

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Dismissive punch|
+40|
+3|
+50

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Slow fall (90ft)|
+45|
+3|
+60

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Time Stop|
+45|
+3|
+60

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Slow fall (any distance)|
+50|
+4|
+60[/table]

Very busy table. We'll see what becomes of it.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Free runners are proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice.

Free runners are not proficient with any armor or shields. If a free runner uses any armor they lose their AC bonuses, Speed Bonuses, and Jump bonuses.

Not the worst proficiencies I've seen. Doesn't scream martial but as others have said, proficiencies do not make a martial class. :smallwink:

AC Bonus
When unarmored and unencumbered, the free runner adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a free runner gains a +1 bonus to AC at 1st level. This bonus increases by 1 at 5th and for every five free runner levels thereafter (+2 at 5th, +3 at 10th, +4 at 15th level, and +5 at 20th level).
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch-attacks or when the free runner is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Okay, I've read why you think that this class should work on charisma. It makes a bit of sense and I'm not fighting against it.
What I don't get is why it specifically applies to this ability. Are you somehow bending reality to dodge attacks? Is force of personality enough to turn blades? I'm honestly not getting it.
What I'd do with this ability is simply use your Dexterity bonus. Not only does this cut down on MAD but it allows for a competent AC throughout your entire career without spending a huge fortune on it. It also goes with the theme of your class being rather dextrous and fast.

Rebound
A free runner can jump from one wall to another and keep jumping up from the wall with a +5 addition to the DC each jump. Rebound cannot be used on the same wall right after it was just used, a free runner must accelerate away from the wall.

You might want to change wall to "verticle surface" for some more versatility.

Lighten Gravity
A free runner will only take half damage from falling, have a carrying capacity of having +5 strength, he can use his dexterity modifier on climb checks, and feat weapon finesse effects his martial weapon also.

Wow. Alot of benefits for a single ability. Increased carrying capacity could (possibly) help in a variety of ways but keeps making me think "SMUGGLER SMUGGLER SMUGGLER".

Skirmish
Free runners get skirmish at the same progression as scouts. (basically a rogue sneak attack where you have to move 10ft instead of have them flat footed)

You say that you get skirmish as a scout but your description doesn't quite describe skirmish. A scout gets +1d6 damage to attacks after moving 10 feet at levels 1, 5, 9, 13, and 17. On the other hand, the scout gets +1 AC after moving 10 feet at levels 3, 7, 11, 15, and 19.
That said, why don't you replace the increasing AC benefit of this class with normal skrimishing. It kind of makes sense.

Extended Throw
A free runner can throw an object up to three times farther than the normal range because they lessen the effect of gravity on the thrown object.

This one seems to come out of nowhere as thrown attacks are never mentioned again. Oh well, seems like a decent enough attack.

Flick Attack
The free runner uses a standard action to teleport right next to an enemy, attack them, and teleport back. He must return to where he started from after attacking the enemy. This attack does not provoke an attack of opportunity, although the free runner may still be hit if the enemy had an attack readied for it.
A free runner gets 2 flick attacks per day starting at third level plus one for every three levels after third level.
Also, when free runners get extra attacks (level 8 and level 15) that effects flick attack, and you can attack the same person multiple times, or hit multiple people in one flick attack.
Flick attack has a range of 400ft + 10ft/level

Okay, this is the meat. You teleport next to someone (likely trigerring your skirmish), attack them (possibly multiple times), and then return to your spot. Let me explain this one point at a time.
1. It's like spring attack except with no attacks of opportunity.
2. It also (basically) lets you make a full attack as a standard action.
3. It allows you to cross distances much further than normal.
4. You still have a move action to use when it's all over.
It's a pretty decent offensive maneuver that eventually becomes on par with a high-level maneuver in terms of power.

Slow Fall
At 4th level or higher, a free runner within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow her descent. When first using this ability, he takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The free runner’s ability to slow his fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves with his free runner level until at 20th level he can use a nearby wall to slow her descent and fall any distance without harm.

Okay. People generally didn't find this ability too useful when it was tacked onto the monk. It still doesn't seem that useful. I'd just change your original bend gravity ability to reduce the damage from falls by 1d6/level rather than halving the damage with that ability and slowly neutralizing it with this one.

Spider Climb
A free runner gets the effect of spider climb at will for 10min./level every day starting with 4th level. This doesn’t have to be used all at once; it can be split up at the free runners discretion.

I'll go ahead and say that I don't get why you use the "starting at Xth level" thing. I know what you mean but it seems entirely uneccessary. Nothing would become overpowered if you took that away from each ability you added it to. On the contrary, you'd get more ability to travel around unhindered, which is what this class is all about.
I can understand that there's something aesthetically pleasing about starting with an ability being usable 1/day and going up but it doesn't seem necessary here.

Follow
When anyone uses a teleport, plane shift, or other magical transportation spell of that sort, a free runner can sense the residue left from the spell from 1min/level (starting with 5th) ago. Not only do they know exactly where it is, but they can also follow the caster to the exact same spot if they are within arms reach of where the teleport spell was.

To clarify this ability a bit, please add the word "cast" to the very end of this ability so it read "...within arms reach of where the teleport spell was cast". Also, what type of action does this ability require? Swift? Move? Standard? Full-round? More?

Blink
A free runner gets the effect of the spell blink at will for 2min./level every day starting with 3rd level. This doesn’t have to be used all at once; it can be split up at the free runners discretion.

Blinking is a fun, if often impractical, matter. It makes for a nice ability here.

Meld Into Stone
A free runner gets the effect of meld into stone at will for 10min/level every day starting at 6th level. This doesn’t have to be used all at once; it can be split up at the free runners discretion.

See Blink. :smallwink:

Dimension Door
A free runner can use the spell dimension door without the vocal component once per day (+1/2 levels) starting at 7th level.

Instead of saying without the vocal (verbal, you mean?) component, why not just say that you can use dimension door as a spell-like ability (which has no components by definition) so-and-so times per day. In fact, you may want to do this with your other spell abilities such as phase door and plane shift. It's the traditional norm to grant non-spellcasting classes spell-like abilities rather than spells when usable a certain number of times per day.

Haste
A free runner gets the effect of the spell haste at will for 1min./level every day starting with 7th level. This doesn’t have to be used all at once; it can be split up at the free runners discretion.

This one is pretty useful. It's a shame that you don't get to use it on a bunch of friends like with the real haste spell but it's a decent ability to have.

Freedom of Movement
A free runner gets the effect of the spell freedom of movement at will for 2min/level every day starting at 9th level. This doesn’t have to be used all at once; it can be split up at the free runners discretion.

Again, a useful utility ability.

Ethereal Throw
A free runner can throw an object (shuriken, potion, rock, etc.) through any surface they want, but it has to be specified. The object cannot go through more than 10ft of stone or 5ft of metal. This can only be used once per day/2 levels starting at level 10.

Seems I spoke too soon. There is another throwing ability after all. It doubles up as an interesting combat maneuver and for smuggling things through solid walls.

Phase Door
A free runner can use the spell phase door once per day (+1/3 levels) starting at 11th level.

I feel that it should be a spell-like ability, as stated earlier. Also, I'm kind of surprised that you never grant passwall.

Teleport
A free runner can use the spell teleport once per day (+1/4 levels) starting at 12th level

Should also be a spell-like ability. Strange how you never get the improved version but you can't have everything.

Plane Shift
A free runner can use the spell plane shift once per day (+1/4 levels) starting at 12th level

You should know what I have to say by now. :smallwink:
I would say that It's strange how you don't get the better version of plane shift but it isn't in the players handbook where everything else you listed seems to come from. This is also why I haven't questioned the lack of the better blink spell, celerity and its broken kin, dimensional hop, or the couple of space-switching spells from the spell compendium (like benign transposition).

Ethereal Jaunt
A free runner gets the effect of the spell ethereal jaunt for 1 round/level starting at level 14. This doesn’t have to be used all at once; it can be split up at the free runners discretion.

You never get etherealness, of course, but I didn't really expect it by this point. Still a nice ability to have for when you need a more reliable version of blink.

Moment of Prescience
A plane dance can use the spell moment of prescience once per day/ 2 levels starting at level 16

This... seems a bit out of place. I know that you intend to have it as warping the world to make your will come true but none of your other abilities seem to do this which makes it come across as just... wierd, I guess. :smallconfused:

Dismissive Punch
A free runner can make an unarmed attack that can hit ethereal creatures, upon contact, it sends any creature back to its native plane. If the creature is already on its native plane, it knocks them back 10ft.
This can be used 2 times /level starting at 17th level.

As you don't have improved unarmed strike, I'd suggest changing this from an unarmed attack to a touch attack (which is easier to hit with rather than taking a -4 panalty and which doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity). Also, hitting ethereal creatures with unarmed attacks seems rather random at this point in the game.
Alternately, let Free Runner's declare any normal attack (with weapons) as a dismissive strike and give the creature a saving throw to resist if it is hit.

Time Stop
A free runner can use the spell time stop once per day.

As said, Time Stop really isn't doing anything for you at the moment. What I'd suggest doing is permitting your melee attacks to harm foes while using time stop. This would be really powerful but a suitable capstone and something that nobody else can do.
Speaking of capstones, this guy doesn't really have one. Falling an unlimited distance isn't that awesome. I'd suggest moving this ability to level 20 and putting something new at level 19 (perhaps letting your allies make a flick attack).

Just my 2cp

Milskidasith
2010-04-23, 06:21 PM
This class has more proficiencies than a Monk it was made to replace.

This class has the same HD as the Monk, Ranger, and Cleric-- all made to "hit things."

Also, if this class can't be offensive then you probably just fail as a skirmisher.

Ranger had weapon styles, full BAB, a second melee companion, and spellcasting. Clerics are full casters. Monks are craptastic. What was your point here: It got less offensive capabilities than the monk.

With skirmish, though, this class is actually a lot better, and it fits the mobility theme.

As for this:

:sigh: Okay, you DO have a point that the offensive options are weak and that the class may need more "offensive" options. Other than that, I disagree. I think freerunners are agile and quick and can move anywhere... they are the ultimate Urban travelers and messengers and scouts...they aren't totally meant to hit things as much as they are meant to be almost impossible to catch.

Except a class needs to be able to do something to be useful. Being impossible to catch doesn't matter when your friends aren't.

I disagree that 3/4 BAB is "crap BAB". By the same token, then, CLERICS have crap BAB? SWORDSAGES have crap BAB? I disagree. Okay, true, clerics and swordsages are more melee-oriented, but perhaps 3/4 BAB make sense with this class.

I don't think clerics and swordsages have crap BAB. The problem is, clerics and swordsages are either only partially melee (Clerics can easily be buffbots or crowd controllers, though they can get full BAB and enough buffs to beat the crap out of a fighter), or rely more on strikes than iteratives, and because of that hit a lot harder (swordsages, who are also the most "magical" of the ToB classes).

...if he had Time Stop activated he could RUN AWAY and NO ONE would stop him. It is, after all, the ultimate speed buff. How could Time Stop not benefit ANY class? if ANY class could use Time Stop, I'm sure they would use it! As you state, it can be used for buffing, and to great effect.

Sure, it's beneficial... except it's not *that* beneficial just as a movement ability. Sure, you can run away, but you already have multiple ways to teleport out of the range of combat. Time Stop lets you run away a lot faster, sure, but in combat, it doesn't help much with tactical movement considering your other features. Time stop is great, sure, but when it's only use is "tactical movement" and all your other features are "tactical movement" it's redundant.

At the same time, I can hardly consider a less useful application of Time Stop than for buffing. The one instance I can think of for using Time Stop to buff is if I've just been dispelled of my needed buffs and I need to re-cast them. In this circumstance, I would consider myself with a serious tactical error. But by the time I can cast Time Stop, I always have a Contingent Greater Spell Mantle and Contingent Spell Resistance (by the Craft Contingency feat from Complete Mage) set to cast on me the next time I cast Nerveskitter (a swift-action buff that gives me +20 initiative). So the next time combat starts, I take that swift action to activate my greatest defenses. All the rest of my buffs would already be cast. They would be Empowered and then Persisted through a rod so that they last for a day and a half. The really important buffs would be Heightened, Empowered, and then persisted through a Rod.

OK, sure, if you're running a high optimization game, have the resources and EXP to burn on constantly crafting contingent buffs *every* encounter, enough high level spell slots to empower and heighten your other buffs, and enough rods of persist to persist all your buffs, sure, that works. But the problem is that A: Your strategy is absurdly resource intensive (EXP for two contingent spells every time you enter combat, a greater rod of persist and a regular rod of persist, and two feats, though I'm not sure how heighten spell (increase DC) affects buffs...) when just casting time stop can put up all the buffs you want and B: It's not exactly the kind of stuff that gets allowed in every game.

How about running away or teleporting during a Time Stop? Why the heck not?

Time stop is a standard action. Teleporting is a standard action. If you can get off a teleport via time stop, you can just teleport.

As a mage, how about using Time Stop to Gate in a Solar or a Balor and quickly strike a deal? How about using Time Stop to get behind someone and use Shapechange?. How about using Time Stop to summon a Sphere of Annihilation and directing it to kill your enemies?

How are those not buffs?

Party Foul
2010-04-23, 08:46 PM
All i have to say is wow... thanks for spending all that time on the in depth review of this :) ill change some of that stuff and keep the rest in mind.

but just one question, when you say just make the AC bonus by dexterity... isn't dexterity already added? are you just saying making it 2x the dexterity modifier?

Dragon Elite
2010-04-23, 10:37 PM
Maybe you could let him use a move action to make a dust screen(non-paved roads?). Seems like it would be cool.

Party Foul
2010-04-24, 08:22 AM
Maybe you could let him use a move action to make a dust screen(non-paved roads?). Seems like it would be cool.

What would that do for him though? because he already has blink and ethereal jaunt for concealment. I agree that it would be cool but I'm not sure it fits the flavor of the character.