PDA

View Full Version : Using the Heroes of Battle Supplimentary 3.5e

Stryke
2010-04-21, 04:46 PM
Hi guys

I'm planning on making a war campagin using the Heroes of Battle Supplimentary(HoB), i.e i intend to throw my PC's into the middle of a war. While i'm still work on the basic plot i was just wondering if any of you had tried anything similar and had any nuggets of wisdom, stories or ideas that could be helpful.
I would like to make it clear that i have no intention on going out and buying 1500 more suppliments to please dont just refrence other books.

Hurlbut
2010-04-21, 05:20 PM
Hi guys

I'm planning on making a war campagin using the Heroes of Battle Supplimentary(HoB), i.e i intend to throw my PC's into the middle of a war. While i'm still work on the basic plot i was just wondering if any of you had tried anything similar and had any nuggets of wisdom, stories or ideas that could be helpful.
I would like to make it clear that i have no intention on going out and buying 1500 more suppliments to please dont just refrence other books.
Just want to know if you have Complete Warrior also?

Stryke
2010-04-21, 05:25 PM
I do not, i've heard it mentioned on the forums many times though, why?

JohnnyCancer
2010-04-21, 06:01 PM
Bone up on mounted combat and flying rules.

Stryke
2010-04-21, 06:16 PM
Bone up on mounted combat and flying rules.

Huh, never thought of that, good advice thanks

Jastermereel
2010-04-21, 07:34 PM
I've not yet run through it (plan to start my group on it in the next level or so) but The Red Hand of Doom looks like it puts the gist of the Heroes of Battle ideas into play rather nicely what with the overwhelming threat, strategic missions, and victory point mechanic.

I know you said you don't want us referencing too many other books, but I found a copy on ebay for around $3 (the new and used section) and it seems like just the thing you've got in mind, even if just as a starting framework.

The Rabbler
2010-04-21, 07:47 PM
If you want to deal with battles, you really should get the complete warrior. it expands greatly on core when it comes to melee. if you wanted to expand more, you might want to look into the tome of battle, as it adds it's own little flair to melee, but that's just throwing sourcebooks at you and not really helping:smalltongue:.

AslanCross
2010-04-21, 08:41 PM
Heroes of Battle is underrated, but actually pretty good. I'm running Red Hand of Doom and it operates primarily on HoB's victory points system (though it streamlines it; HoB's VP system unnecessarily bloats numbers, IMO). It's been quite successful so far.

Stryke
2010-04-22, 04:54 AM
If you want to deal with battles, you really should get the complete warrior. it expands greatly on core when it comes to melee. if you wanted to expand more, you might want to look into the tome of battle, as it adds it's own little flair to melee, but that's just throwing sourcebooks at you and not really helping:smalltongue:.

Could you give me an example of said expansion and added flair.
I try to do as much as i possibly can using only the core books, its usually a lot less complicated and stops the PC's from throwing obscure rules, feats or spells at me. Dont get me wrong the amount of additional content for this game is great, but when you have a party building characters from 18 diffrent source books balancing, book keeping CR & ECL can become a major issue. Plus a lot of it just seems to be a way of getting the more powerful spells/abilities etc at a lower level

Heroes of Battle is underrated, but actually pretty good. I'm running Red Hand of Doom and it operates primarily on HoB's victory points system (though it streamlines it; HoB's VP system unnecessarily bloats numbers, IMO). It's been quite successful so far.

It's seriously under rated for what it covers and i think if more people used it the final battle of a lot of campaigns would be a lot easier for the DM and more fun for the PC's.
Does RHoD have an army aligned with the party or is it the old cliche of the enemy army is better equiped, fed, trained and is a hell of a lot bigger but we'll still win through far fetched logic, actions and questionable circumstances just coz we R teh goodiezz.
Just PM if your PC's read the forum:smallwink:

Jastermereel
2010-04-22, 11:43 PM
Does RHoD have an army aligned with the party or is it the old cliche of the enemy army is better equiped, fed, trained and is a hell of a lot bigger but we'll still win through far fetched logic, actions and questionable circumstances just coz we R teh goodiezz.

There isn't exactly an army simply allied with the PCs. There's a retreating band of humanity that essentially takes to the field in major battles, but most of the PCs actions are ones to undermine the larger force by cutting off access routes, allies, and resources. Major conflicts deal with ranking officers (of a sort) and city defense rather than simply "PCs (and an army) v. an Army".

Eldariel
2010-04-22, 11:50 PM

I can honestly say that RHoD is a well-written (on a grand scale of things) adventure doing exemplary job in fitting PCs into a war. So...neither, really, but it does involve a clash of armies and PCs do indeed play a big part in what the outcome actually is, but more through spec ops and certain...fights against key figures. And then there's the whole final chapter but just read one of the journals around here if you want to know more.

AslanCross happens to have one, for example, and he's pretty much far enough for you to figure out all you've inquired by reading it :smallbiggrin: It's linked in his signature. For more related reading, see Kjones's Journal Part I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100257) & Part II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123078) and the starter of this whole mess, Saph's Red Hand of Doom Journal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94243). I'm pretty sure all questions you've got about the adventure are comprehensively answered within these threads and they make for a hell of a reading too.