PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine poll; Top 100 Influential People

Dust
2010-04-21, 06:13 PM
Normally such surveys are beneath public notice and I wouldn't bother these boards with 'em, but I thought this one was fascinating. Time Magazine's 2010 Poll of the most Influential People of the year resulted with 'the Penny Arcade Guys' and Neil Patrick Harris sitting at spots number 16 and 17 respectively, which is higher than even Mr. Barack Obama.
Meanwhile, Kanye West, Gaiman, the creators of the tv show 'Lost', Ashton Kutcher and Beyoncé were also to be found in the top fifty, above names such as Oprah and Bill Clinton.

Link (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1972075_1976159,00.html)

Personally, I find this to be a little on the pathetic side, but undeniably true.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

thorgrim29
2010-04-21, 06:37 PM
Hum, how the hell did artist win over Barak Obama. I mean even ignoring the individual, the President of the united Stated has more influence then freaking Robert Pattinson and a few unknown koreans

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-21, 07:41 PM
Neil Patrick Harris didn't place first? God, what's wrong with the world? How can you not recognize his awesomeness? :smallsmile:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 07:44 PM
Time Magazine's 2010 Poll of the most Influential People of the year resulted with 'the Penny Arcade Guys' and Neil Patrick Harris sitting at spots number 16 and 17 respectively, which is higher than even Mr. Barack Obama.
*grins and tips his hat to Roland but doesn't say a word*

Edit: So the president's wife is more influential than the president himself? Ooookay...

Edit #2: Ok, I've heard of the name Lady Gaga. That's it. How does THAT get a #1 in top 100 most influential if I didn't even know what she was.

Haruki-kun
2010-04-21, 07:50 PM
Before anything let me remind you that last year it was moot.

Just sayin'.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-21, 07:50 PM
Edit #2: Ok, I've heard of the name Lady Gaga. That's it. How does THAT get a #1 in top 100 most influential if I didn't even know what she was.

She's an intriguing pop singer. She has a couple very catchy songs, with more interesting videos than your usual pop song, and she's visually very striking. Lady Gaga in a nutshell.

Edit: She's kinda... hard to forget in my school ever since we made our own music video, with almost all the teachers, to a song of hers. I'm in this video at least 3 times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URgJiDBouYs

Erloas
2010-04-21, 07:55 PM
I mean even ignoring the individual, the President of the united Stated has more influence then freaking Robert Pattinson and a few unknown koreans
Well that sounds a bit american-centric to me. While "some unknown korean" might not mean anything to you, I'm sure they mean quite a lot to people in and around Korea.

And not to get into the politics of it, a lot of people think of polls like this as influential in a good way, not just influential. Because sure the President of the USA has a lot of influence, you are likely to find half the people to believe that it is a bad influence and isn't worth any recognition. And when you consider that a position like the President has a lot of influence, its also a position that can't really do anything on its own and there is a whole system in place to limit the influence that one person can have.

There is also a big difference between national/international influence and personal influence. Most artists and performers have a larger personal influence on a large number of people, even if that influence is only to spend $40 on some movie tickets and then some merchandise later. Its something they can like and talk about with their friends. And in the end most individuals never really feel any impact from one political leader to the next, I can say while I have agreed and disagreed with many of the things the last 3 presidents have done, nothing they have done seems to have actually made any measurable impact on my life. I'm sure there has been, but its not something I can really see or label.

Thursday
2010-04-21, 08:00 PM
Who is this Neil Patrick Harris, exactly?

I don't mean to offend/upset/astound anyone or anything, but He seems to crop up a lot in this place.

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-21, 08:04 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I'm locking this because there's apparently a significant political aspect to the discussion. In fact, that seems to be the main complaint of the first couple posters.

And no, it has nothing to do with me coming in 101 for the third year in a row. :smallmad: