PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Shadowy Creature

Draxar
2010-04-21, 06:13 PM
I need to come up with a reasonable CR +0 to +1 template to apply to natural animals in place of Celestial/Fiendish.

I'm in a Pathfinder Eberron game. I'm playing a summoner. I've agreed with my ST that there's some kind of connection between summoners and the planes. My character is going to have that connection with Mabar, the Endless Night – his Eidolon will be a dark and shadowy serpent.

As such, I'd like to come up with a template to use instead of Celestial/Fiendish, which is appropriate to Mabar.

Pathfinder celestial (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement#Celestial) and fiendish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement#Fiendish) get you the following:

Darkvision 60
Spell Resistance = CR +5
Smite Good/Evil – Swift action, pick a target. + charisma to hit, +HD to damage till it's dead or you rest.
DR 5 to Acid'n'Lightning'n'Cold/Fire'n'Cold (becomes 10 @ 5HD, 15 @ 11 HD)
DR 5/opposed alignment @ 5HD, 10 @ 11HD

Shadowy creatures would probably get resist cold, but not other resistances. They'd get bonus to hiding, and possibly hide in plain sight at a high-ish level.

There's the Dark creature template from Tome of Magic, but I worry that would be overpowered. It's +0 to +1, but given that it's animals I'm applying it to, it'd be +1 far more than it's +0. Applied to low level stuff it may make them stupidly hard to find for the level they are.

Any suggestions? I'm emphatically not wanting this to be overpowered, I want something that my GM will accept, and which gives me useful flunkies for summoning.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-21, 06:40 PM
Sees perfectly in darkness.
Spell Resistance = CR + 5
Evasion
Cold Resistance 5 (10 @5HD, 15 @11HD)
DR 5/- @ 5HD, 10/- @11HD
Incorporeal while moving (with regards to objects 5ft wide or smaller)

Probably around the same, although perhaps slightly stronger. DR/- is better than DR/Alignment, but not by much in many circumstances.

sigurd
2010-04-21, 07:57 PM
Perhaps weaken them under extreme light?

I like the project.

Sigurd

MoleMage
2010-04-21, 09:02 PM
What Djinn had to say, but maybe rewrite the Incorporeal to the ability to just letting them walk through any non-magical object that size.

Draxar
2010-04-22, 06:00 AM
Perhaps weaken them under extreme light?

I like the project.

Sigurd

Thanks. I've always found Celestial/Fiendish rather bland, and I like the idea of having something a bit closer to my character's tastes.

Set
2010-04-22, 06:48 AM
Templates for Fiery, etc. critters from the Elemental planes would also be neat, along this line.

MoleMage
2010-04-22, 12:29 PM
Templates for Fiery, etc. critters from the Elemental planes would also be neat, along this line.

I'll try Air, if nobody minds...

* Gains the [Air] Subtype, Animals become Magical Beasts
* Spell Resistance = CR + 5
* Evasion
* Lightning Resistance 5 (10 @5HD, 15 @11HD)
* DR 5/- @ 5HD, 10/- @11HD
* Partially fluid outline gives +8 racial bonus to hide checks, unaffected by extreme wind, counts as one size category smaller for purposes of combat maneuvers.

Maybe leave off the last part.

And maybe just give Shadowy Creatures Light Sensitivity. It gets across the disliking light point without hurting them too much in the long run.

Draxar
2010-04-22, 06:13 PM
Have forked that more general discussion over to here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150003)