PDA

View Full Version : Internet Band

Froogleyboy
2010-04-21, 09:33 PM
Okay, since my RL band failed, I've been interested in starting an internet band (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_band). I was wondering if any playgrounders would like to join. I'd like to do vocals (even though my voice isn't that good, it's all I can do, and I like to write lyrics) I'm not wanting anything big, just something fun . We can decide the genre later

Capt Spanner
2010-04-22, 11:38 AM
I'm a pretty nifty guitarist, and a fair bassist. I'd be more than willing to contribute.

smellie_hippie
2010-04-22, 11:46 AM
You could always just sing and play with us at the Meet-up. Penguinsushi and I have been playing guitar together off and on for a couple years now...

The Extinguisher
2010-04-22, 11:53 AM
What we need is a playground supergroup. We get every one here who has any sort of musical talent whatsoever and just run with it.

Should be fun.

Sneak
2010-04-22, 12:51 PM
What we need is a playground supergroup. We get every one here who has any sort of musical talent whatsoever and just run with it.

Should be fun.

We'd be the best indiejazzmetalskaethnoelectrofolkrappunkrock band ever!

Dogmantra
2010-04-22, 01:04 PM
We'd be the best indiejazzmetalskaethnoelectrofolkrappunkrock band ever!

We'd be the best progressive indiejazzmetalskaethnoelectrofolkrappunkrock band ever. As if anyone listens to indiejazzmetalskaethnoelectrofolkrappunkrock nowadays!

Vagnarok
2010-04-22, 01:32 PM
I'll help! I was a music major for awhile but I dropped and switched majors. Yep, the first step to fame has been accomplished!

Froogleyboy
2010-04-22, 03:42 PM
All right, what genre's do you guys like. Warning: I can't sing metal

Forever Curious
2010-04-22, 03:47 PM
This is relevant to my interest. I can play keyboard, and my friend's a decent mixer.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-22, 04:04 PM
How about rock? Since it's the best of the major genres and all that.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-22, 05:43 PM
Ooh! I can play drums!
Sort of. . .

Also, I agree with Rock being the best.

Sneak
2010-04-22, 06:24 PM
Why constrain ourselves to one genre? The whole beauty of having a pan-playground musical union would be the sheer expansiveness of the phonic territory opened up.

We can do it all!

Although, being the eternal pessimist (or realist, some might say) that I am, I doubt an undertaking such as this has even a minimal chance of follow-through.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-22, 06:28 PM
I can sing... sometimes. I can sing as long as it's not too high, high in this case including 90% of male singers. I can also do a death growl, and other type of scream-singing.

Oh, and I can play mediocre guitar. :/

Dispozition
2010-04-22, 06:31 PM
Drummer here, but I'd like to see videos/hear recordings of what everyone else can do first...Since I'm already in an actual band, so this would be a side project.

This does remind me that I need to nab the recording equipment of our bassists Dad...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-22, 06:32 PM
Drummer here, but I'd like to see videos/hear recordings of what everyone else can do first...Since I'm already in an actual band, so this would be a side project.

This does remind me that I need to nab the recording equipment of our bassists Dad...

Time to steal Ms. Mann's hi-def cameras, with the awesome mics, then.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-22, 06:39 PM
I can play bass fairly well, although my bass is currently KIA (the head is separating from the neck. For the second time. -.-) So I won't be able to contribute until I find someone else who has one, fix mine, or get a new one (hoping for the last. I'm trying to talk my mom into getting me a 5 string for graduation).

However, I'll definitely keep following this, and help out however I can.

Sneak
2010-04-22, 06:49 PM
I can play classical baroque recorder, jazz and some classical clarinet, and a bit of mediocre acoustic guitar.

So I imagine my musical capabilities won't be much help for this project. :smalltongue:

I'd be willing to sing, however—I have a pretty low vocal range, and I'm not the best singer (not trained or anything), but I like to think I'm decent. I can carry a tune, at least, and I enjoy doing it.

But I'm a music lover above all, so I'd just be willing to do whatever I can if this does actually get off the ground.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-22, 06:58 PM
But I'm a music lover above all, so I'd just be willing to do whatever I can if this does actually get off the ground.

Threaten bloody murder against anyone who refuses to help?

TFT
2010-04-22, 07:00 PM
I'm a drummer, and I can sing too.

I haven't been a drummer for that long though.

Sneak
2010-04-22, 07:01 PM
Threaten bloody murder against anyone who refuses to help?

Ew, no! Gross! If your murder is bloody, you're doing it wrong. Clearly, I'd threaten them with strangulation.

Much less of a hassle.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-22, 07:01 PM
Ew, no! Gross! If your murder is bloody, you're doing it wrong. Clearly, I'd threaten them with strangulation.

Much less of a hassle.

And I quote: "The great thing about cannabilism is you don't have to hide the bodies." Yes, I'm quoting myself. Why do you ask?

icastflare!
2010-04-22, 07:05 PM
I can see if I can pull up a mediocore band symbol/name. already had a weird name on my mind.Playground Power

Sneak
2010-04-22, 07:12 PM
And I quote: "The great thing about cannabilism is you don't have to hide the bodies." Yes, I'm quoting myself. Why do you ask?

And it's a cheap meal, too!

I can see if I can pull up a mediocore band symbol/name. already had a weird name on my mind.Playground Power

How about "They Might Be Ghosts, Pixies, Halflings, Dwarves, Orcs, Barbarians, Bugbears, Ogres, Trolls, Ettins, Firbolg, or Titans?"

icastflare!
2010-04-22, 07:13 PM
And it's a cheap meal, too!

How about "They Might Be Ghosts, Pixies, Halflings, Dwarves, Orcs, Barbarians, Bugbears, Ogres, Trolls, Ettins, Firbolg, or Titans?"

I think TMBGPHDOBBOTEFT is too catchy

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-22, 07:22 PM
I think TMBGPHDOBBOTEFT is too catchy

Dobboteft is such a good band name.

Oh, so typical. We don't even know who can actually play in the band before we try and come up with a name. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2010-04-22, 07:26 PM
Also, I agree with Rock being the best.

It's gotta be Rock n' Roll music...
any ol' way you choose it...

It's gotta be Rock 'n' Roll music,
if you wanna dance with me.
If you wanna dance with me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS3h5oGEuqk)

thubby
2010-04-22, 07:43 PM
i can do mixing, though I'm not terribly experienced.

onthetown
2010-04-22, 07:58 PM
I do fiddle, mandolin, guitar, or piano, but I'm best at fiddle/violin. So let me know if you need my talents someday. :smallsmile:

Froogleyboy
2010-04-22, 08:45 PM
Why constrain ourselves to one genre?

Because what if the singer raps, the piano plays classical, and the guitar rock?

And on the name subject. I vote for ". . . In The Playground"

ForzaFiori
2010-04-22, 09:29 PM
"...In The Playground" is awesome.

also, "Bits and Pieces" since the members come from all over, and from (most likely) several different bands, so its like were taking bits and pieces of the band from all over.

on the subject of genre, we should probably pick a base idea of what we'll play (IE: Rock based stuff. It can be anything from Jazz to Metal to Ska to Power Pop, since they all are related to Rock) Pretty much any one who can play one of those can play the others. That way, you don't have a problem with what you mentioned froogley. However, A classical pianist can easily play whatever we could want them to, and a rapper could lay down some sick lines over a hard rock guitar. Add in a Regae/Jazz bass, whatever drums you want, and a classically trained Pianist, and you have what could become an interesting sound (especially since just because you trained one way, doesn't mean you can't do something else. The singer could rap and sing (a la Linkin Park), the Piano could start with some light classical, and break into playing a counter melody for the guitar. Different styles is what gives bands their separate sounds.

Dispozition
2010-04-22, 10:05 PM
I can play almost any genre on drums, but I'm better at jazz fusion, funk and rock than anything else. Jazz is probably my next strongest.

And I'm all for a rock band since the band I'm already in is more of a jazz fusion/funk one. But the mixed genre thing works, considering the backgrounds my band comes from. We manage to meld a jazz standard with classical piano and a disco break. It's pretty awesome.

Sneak
2010-04-22, 10:17 PM
Because what if the singer raps, the piano plays classical, and the guitar rock?

A. Genre mixing can actually be fantastic, when done right. So that actually doesn't sound too bad.

B. I didn't necessarily mean at the same time. With the large number of musically talented playgrounders, we don't need to have a consistent lineup for every song. We're more like a musical collective than a band. Therefore, some playgrounders could make a jazz song, some could make a rock song, some could make a reggae song, etc.

Also, I still think the band name should be some sort of play on "They Might Be Giants."

Like, I dunno, "They Might Be Giants In The Playground?" "They Might Be Bugbears?"

ForzaFiori
2010-04-22, 10:42 PM
Why not compromise? What if each group of contributers had their own name, but all of them ended in "...In the Playground" to show their connection?

so one might be "They Might Be Giants In the Playground"

and another could be "Dobboteft In the Playground"

and yet another "Bits and Pieces In the Playground"

Or even change out "In" for another preposition.

The Extinguisher
2010-04-22, 11:14 PM

And on the name subject. I vote for ". . . In The Playground"

That sounds absolutely amazing. Lets get on that people.

I can sing (decently I think) and play bass and guitar poorly. I can also drum I guess, in the sense that hitting the drum with a stick is drumming.

I'm a (terrible) one man band!

I love you. Can I have your babies?

Capt Spanner
2010-04-23, 07:37 AM
I hearby submit my audition tape. This was recorded by one of my friends.

The song is Riot Music by Suicidal Ducklings, written by me. I played guitar and that's my voice doing vocals too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_DsUsmMq3Q

Murska
2010-04-23, 07:52 AM
Hmm. I can both sing and play bass, a bit. Kinda. I can also play drums, but even less. I also have next to no free time, but if there's something that absolutely requires my (lack of?) talents, I might be able to do something.

...I just couldn't not write here when I saw this, despite everything. :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2010-04-23, 05:27 PM
I like to rap. Will anyone mind this?

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-23, 07:47 PM
Give me sheet music and a month of practice and I can play whatever piano.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-23, 07:50 PM

As long as your dropping fire rhymes, I'm cool with it.

Nothing is quite as bad as a bad rapper imho.

Froogleyboy
2010-04-23, 08:03 PM
Give me sheet music and a month of practice and I can play whatever piano.

That's the problem, I can't write sheet music.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-23, 08:24 PM
I've been playing the violin for 72.2% of my life, mostly classical, but I've experimented around with other genres from time to time. I might be interested in collaborating on a project such as this.

Sneak
2010-04-23, 08:25 PM
I hearby submit my audition tape. This was recorded by one of my friends.

The song is Riot Music by Suicidal Ducklings, written by me. I played guitar and that's my voice doing vocals too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_DsUsmMq3Q

OH MY GOD YOUR VOICE SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THE SINGER FROM ART BRUT

I love you. Can I have your babies?

Only if you name them Anthony and Chewbacca.

Only if it's bad. :smalltongue:

Dispozition
2010-04-23, 08:30 PM

Go download sibelius, profit.

Faceist
2010-04-23, 08:33 PM
I'm a pretty good guitarist. Let's sawt sumfink awt.

Btw, arkady, what are your thoughts on Emily Kane? :smallbiggrin:

PJ the Epic
2010-04-23, 08:42 PM

I can. Watcha need?

Also, I volunteer to play all the instrumental stuff. All music needs an orchestal accompniment,.

The Extinguisher
2010-04-24, 02:05 AM
Only if you name them Anthony and Chewbacca.

Deal. But I'll need you to pay for shipping.

I'd record myself singing, but my throat has been killing me. (This is me making excuses you probably want to find a better singer) (because I am terrible) (seriously though, sore throat) (i'll stop now)

But I call dibs on biggest fan.

Murska
2010-04-24, 11:55 AM
Anyone want to suggest something cheap'n'easy to record reasonably-listenable-quality stuff with? I can't say I know too much about the subject. :smallredface:

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-24, 08:54 PM
Anyone want to suggest something cheap'n'easy to record reasonably-listenable-quality stuff with? I can't say I know too much about the subject. :smallredface:

I've got one of these things (http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/index.php). It was quite cheap for a fairly high-quality recording device. Also it has, so far, proved quite easy to use.

vollmond
2010-04-25, 10:15 AM
Posting some interest here. My wife and mommy tell me I can sing (so I probably can't), but I also play violin and guitar. Biggest hiccup for me would be equipment -- I assume running the headphone out of my pocket amp to the microphone-in on my laptop is probably less than ideal.

vollmond
2010-04-30, 07:21 AM
Hmm. I didn't intend to completely shut this down :smallsmile: