PDA

View Full Version : 4e Crossbow Sniper Ranger

Eorran
2010-04-21, 10:52 PM
I'm looking for some quick build advice for a level 9 ranger. I have the character builder, but don't have access to it right now. Any sources in the DDI builder are legit.

Character concept: This guy from the Canadian Army in WWII / Korea (Warning: link uses strong language) Leo Major (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/leomajor.html) Essential traits are good scouting, stealth, patience, and axe-craziness.

Race: Elf
Ability Scores: S16 C14 D22 I11 W19 Ch10

I'd like to use a crossbow instead of a longbow if it won't hurt my combat ability too badly. Is there a feat that lets someone reload a crossbow (not hand crossbow) as a free rather than minor action?

Please recommend feats, powers, and equipment for this character.

Thanks.

Inyssius Tor
2010-04-21, 11:03 PM
Is there a feat that lets someone reload a crossbow (not hand crossbow) as a free rather than minor action?

Yep: Speed Loader. The swiftshot weapon enchantment (+1, level 3) also accomplishes this, if you're low on feats (and you're always low on feats).

Kylarra
2010-04-21, 11:09 PM
In addition to the feat, there's the cloaked sniper paragon path (rogue) which also grants the load minor -> free action property.

cupkeyk
2010-04-21, 11:12 PM
FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Superior crossbow)
Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Crossbow)
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Crossbow)
Level 6: Sneak of Shadows
Level 8: Speed Loader

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Fox's Cunning
Ranger daily 1: Hunter's Bear Trap
Ranger utility 2: Yield Ground
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
Ranger utility 6: Weave Through the Fray
Ranger encounter 7: Biting Volley
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run

This selection has a lot of immediate interrupts, which allows you to:
a)move away from opponents as they engage you in melee
b)spam twin strike

consider hunter over archer. trade away prime shot if possible.

(sneak of shadow may let you qualify for cloaked sniper and from there retrain speed loader for something better)

Excession
2010-04-22, 01:39 AM
You can also build a Rogue into a crossbow sniper. Not sure how it compares to Ranger in play. You stat priorities would be Dex obviously, Str for brutal scoundrel bonus on sneak attack, then Wis for will defence and skills.

Here's a build I threw together, though it's probably suboptimal. Also doesn't include MP2 and PHB3, which will provide some extra options.

Yeah, I know you wanted a Ranger, I'm just being contrary. It makes some sense for the character I think. After all, first thing he did on arriving in France was steal a truck :smallbiggrin:

Leo Major, level 9
Half-Orc, Rogue
Build: Brawny Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Brutal Scoundrel
Background: Occupation - Farmer (Nature class skill) [this is just for the skill]

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 20, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 23 Fort: 20 Reflex: 23 Will: 18
HP: 65 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +14, Thievery +14, Nature +11, Athletics +13, Perception +11, Acrobatics +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +7, Heal +6, History +4, Insight +6, Intimidate +5, Religion +4, Streetwise +3

FEATS
Level 2: Distant Advantage
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Crossbow)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Crossbow)
Level 8: Backstabber

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Deft Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Probing Strike
Rogue encounter 1: Unbalancing Shot
Rogue daily 1: Blinding Barrage
Rogue utility 2: Far Sight
Rogue encounter 3: Impact Shot
Rogue daily 5: Staggering Assault
Rogue utility 6: Chameleon
Rogue encounter 7: Cloud of Steel
Rogue daily 9: Not It

ITEMS
Swiftshot Superior crossbow +2, Periapt of Cascading Health +2, Mirrorsheen Coat Leather Armor +2, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Catstep Boots (heroic tier), Magic Dagger +1, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Adventurer's Kit, Camouflaged Clothing, Climber's Kit, Crowbar, Footpads, Glass Cutter

Thajocoth
2010-04-22, 02:15 AM
There's a feat that adds a damage bonus with crossbows when you haven't moved since the start of your previous turn. (A party member of mine is an Elven Crossbow Ranger Turret)

Exil3dbyrd
2010-04-22, 01:10 PM
Leo Major seems pretty BA. If i were to try to make him i would probably go Ranger/Rogue hybrid. If you focus on minor/immediate attacks you can get both SA and HQ on the same round moderately easy. This allows you to nova down multiple enemies quickly like he does.

Excession
2010-04-22, 05:59 PM
Leo Major seems pretty BA. If i were to try to make him i would probably go Ranger/Rogue hybrid. If you focus on minor/immediate attacks you can get both SA and HQ on the same round moderately easy. This allows you to nova down multiple enemies quickly like he does.

That is an excellent idea. I like that it gives you a useful option for when you can't get CA, including if you're forced into melee.

Thajocoth
2010-04-22, 06:07 PM
I built a Hybrid Ranger/Rogue in the char builder, taking Twin Strike, Duelist's Flurry, and avoiding Standard Action powers beyond those when possible... And honestly, I think it might be a more powerful build than I could make with either class on it's own. (Longbow for all Ranger powers + Short Sword for all Rogue powers. Hybrid Talent to gain Quick Draw with additional bonuses.)

Beleriphon
2010-04-22, 10:26 PM
Leo Major seems pretty BA.

He's moved well beyond BMF, into something akin to ass-kicking-Nazi killing- sniper-Chinese-army-crushing-one-eye-pirate-of-doom category. There are very, very few people that can claim to have been that awesome.

Eorran
2010-04-22, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm actually making him a little less optimized than the recommendations, partly because I've been asked to DM (I'm still keeping the character, small gaming group) so I'm going to avoid opportunity / immediate powers.

Still working on the magic equipment. I'm thinking a custom magic eyepatch than gives a bonus to Intimidate, so he can make germans monsters surrender.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Leo Major, level 9
Half-Orc, Ranger
Build: Hunter Ranger
Fighting Style: Hunter Fighting Style
Ranger: Running Attack
Background: Broken Lands (Intimidate class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 14, Dex 22, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 17, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 19 Reflex: 21 Will: 18
HP: 66 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +13, Athletics +13, Intimidate +11, Stealth +15, Perception +13, Thievery +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Arcana +4, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +8, Heal +8, History +4, Insight +8, Religion +4, Streetwise +4

FEATS
Level 2: Speed Loader
Level 4: Lethal Hunter
Level 6: Sneak of Shadows
Level 8: Far Shot

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Singular Shot
Ranger daily 1: Skirmishing Stance
Ranger utility 2: Yield Ground
Ranger encounter 3: Covering Volley
Ranger daily 5: Tag the Prey
Ranger utility 6: Death Threat
Ranger encounter 7: Biting Volley
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run

====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

DragonBaneDM
2010-04-23, 01:09 AM
Aaaaah meh gods Harrowing Swarm Archer Style why am I the only one who likes these feats!?!

Hahaha, but they're viable if you like avoiding OAs. Also, get Snapshot when you can. SO good.

cupkeyk
2010-04-23, 01:23 AM
Level 10 Antipathy Gloves
Level 9 Cloak of Distortion +2
Level 8 Elven Battle +2
Level 8 Frost weapon +2 (if you are going to go the lasting frost-wintertouched route)
Level 8 Swiftshow Crossbow (if you aren't going lasting frost-wintertouched)

Blazen
2010-04-23, 07:04 AM
With the new features from MP2 you can build a very powerful Eladrin crossbow Rogue with cunning sneak if you want. My brother played one that kept him almost every turn. It should work incredibly well as a sniper.

Jack_Banzai
2010-04-24, 02:40 AM
With the new features from MP2 you can build a very powerful Eladrin crossbow Rogue with cunning sneak if you want. My brother played one that kept him almost every turn. It should work incredibly well as a sniper.

Yes. Eladrin Cunning Sneak Superior Crossbow Rogue wins in every major category over a crossbow Ranger. Stealth at full speed! Stealth with regular concealment and partial cover! Inflict your precious sneak attack damage! And, oh, replace that pesky (if useful) Rogue Weapon Talent with the delicious Sharpshooter Talent for that extra bonus to hit!

What do you mean you don't like inflicting d10s for your damage dice, plus Sneak Attack dice, at 40 squares? What do you mean you don't want Gloaming Cut, an at-will that is so good it makes Sly Flourish look like a pile of puke?

Cunning Sneak Eladrin Crossbow Rogue laughs at all of you for not having MP2.