PDA

View Full Version : question about poisons in monsters.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-21, 11:49 PM
This is actually two questions.

1. if a wizard polymorphs into a form with poison (such as a monstrous spider) do they get the poisonous bite ability? I'd assume it's an extraordinary attack but I'd like to be sure. Also, if a wizard is eleventh level and can morph into a form with 11 HD, could he, for example, morph into a Gargantuan sized Wyvern?

2. If the wizard was capable of morphing into this Gargantuan wyvern, would the poison's potency increase like in the monstrous Spider's entry or is it a static value?

pinwiz
2010-04-21, 11:53 PM
Only thing i can answer is that it usually says in the attack description whether or not it's an (EX) ability.

Is that what you are asking? Because I can't help beyond that.

The Rabbler
2010-04-21, 11:58 PM
unless the wyvern has guidelines for poison improvement by size, and I don't remember it having that, then I'd say that the poison doesn't get any more potent with the size change.

also, I believe that the wizard would indeed get the poisonous attack through the polymorph. what's the point of polymorphing into something if you can't use all of it's abilities?

Mystic Muse
2010-04-22, 12:02 AM
unless the wyvern has guidelines for poison improvement by size, and I don't remember it having that, then I'd say that the poison doesn't get any more potent with the size change.

also, I believe that the wizard would indeed get the poisonous attack through the polymorph. what's the point of polymorphing into something if you can't use all of it's abilities?

well, there are actually quite a few abilities you don't get from polymorph. "does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities."

The Rabbler
2010-04-22, 12:04 AM
well, there are actually quite a few abilities you don't get from polymorph. "does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities."

no wonder I never polymorph. well, you'd better check what it is then; if it isnt listed as either extraordinary or supernatural, assume the wizard gets it.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-22, 12:08 AM
Yeah, it actually says it's an EX attack in the ability. my bad:smallsigh: (so, yeah, you do get it, and I should have known that.)

I'm going to ask my DM if I can get a Wyvern as a mount soon I think. Better than any other option I can get any time soon.

The Rabbler
2010-04-22, 12:26 AM
Yeah, it actually says it's an EX attack in the ability. my bad:smallsigh: (so, yeah, you do get it, and I should have known that.)

I'm going to ask my DM if I can get a Wyvern as a mount soon I think. Better than any other option I can get any time soon.

personally, I prefer befriending a dragon (they can polymorph too!) and ride them into battle. then they help you kill stuff with the greatest of ease.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-22, 12:34 AM
personally, I prefer befriending a dragon (they can polymorph too!) and ride them into battle. then they help you kill stuff with the greatest of ease.

holy crap. I didn't realize wyrmling got that ability. Yeah, I'll definitely get a dragon mount ASAP (unfortunately ASAP is probably 7 levels form now since I'm medium size.:smallsigh: hmm. Although, I don't think my DM would want me to have a mount with class levels so maybe I can convince him to let me get one sooner.

The Rabbler
2010-04-22, 12:41 AM
i'm not sure if wyrmlings get polymorph right off the bat... I was referring to the spells as a sorcerer. have one of the spells known be polymorph and you've got yourself one versatile dragon.

anyway, try and diplomance yourself a dragon. if you can get it up to fanatic (somehow) it'll effectively be your slave. dragons make nice slaves.

EDIT: and technically the dragons don't actually have class levels; they just cast as would a sorcerer with a bunch of spells known and a giant pile of spell slots.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-22, 01:12 AM
Well, my DM said that if I take the feat Dragonfriend and Dragon cohort I can get a dragon who's pretty much willing to be my slave (Okay, not quite that fanatic) without any form of payment whatsoever.:smallbiggrin:

also, they get alternate form as Wyrmlings which, while it might not be as effective as polymorph is still pretty nice. helps him/her blend in when we're in towns

I should also ask him whether I can choose my dragon's feats. RAW no, but he my change that.

last question. Is there any way to enlarge creatures other than humanoids? Assuming spell compendium is available that is.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-22, 01:58 AM
last question. Is there any way to enlarge creatures other than humanoids? Assuming spell compendium is available that is.

Take levels in psychic warrior for expansion, or cast giant size (wu jen).

AslanCross
2010-04-22, 03:28 AM

(Ex) Poison is Con-based. If the size increase boosts Con, it should raise the poison DC a notch.