PDA

View Full Version : Need some help picking equipment for a Barbarian/Warshaper

senrath
2010-04-22, 11:30 AM
I'm building a Changeling Barbarian 4/Warshaper 1 for an urban campaign set in Sharn, and I can't think of what equipment to get. No homebrew is allowed.

I have access to the proper WBL. My stats are:
Str 18
Dex 14
Con 18
Int 12
Wis 9
Cha 11

Any ideas as to what to buy? I'm using the Trapkiller variant, but otherwise running a plain Barbarian. My feats are Power Attack and Reckless Rage.

senrath
2010-04-22, 07:18 PM
Anyone? I'd kinda like to get this character finished off tonight, if possible.

Darrin
2010-04-22, 09:08 PM
5th level WBL would let you pick up Shax's Indispensible Haversack Type I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) (5809 GP), and you'd still have about 3K left over for maybe +1 armor and a +1 weapon.

senrath
2010-04-22, 09:11 PM
While that sounds nice, I couldn't really expect my character to know what most of those things are. That, and none of them could be used while raging. I'll probably get some of those items, but definitely not the entire set.

Darrin
2010-04-22, 10:23 PM
While that sounds nice, I couldn't really expect my character to know what most of those things are. That, and none of them could be used while raging. I'll probably get some of those items, but definitely not the entire set.

"My crazy old grandfather gave me this haversack, I have no idea what's in it... but whenever I don't know what to do and just reach in and grab something, weird stuff tends to happen..."

Most of the items in the Type I Haversack are alchemical, and there is no rule against a raging barbarian using alchemical items. Also, two of the most useful (Shapesand and Chaos Flasks) require Wisdom checks, which are still allowed during a rage. Although why you'd have a barbarian with a high Wisdom might be a little hard to explain.

Most of the items in the Haversack aren't really intended for combat, they're much more likely to come into play when dealing with a puzzle or engineering problem. You don't necessarily have to play a barbarian as dumb, either... Clan MacGuyver coulda had a few berzerkers who still knew how to blow up a 3' wall with just a few household items and a sheep's stomach.

senrath
2010-04-22, 10:24 PM
That...that's perfect. Now to see if the DM will allow me to use that excuse.

Eldariel
2010-04-22, 10:24 PM
Although why you'd have a barbarian with a high Wisdom might be a little hard to explain.

It's actually pretty natural; Barbarians are in-tune with nature, they've got Survival and Listen, the archetypal mentally gifted Barbarian is definitely wise over smart and yeah... I'd say Wisdom makes 100% sense for Barbies.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-23, 07:56 AM
If you haven't picked your weapon, I suggest focusing on a moderate two-handed weapon that looks inconspicuous on your person. I suggest a scythe

senrath
2010-04-23, 07:59 AM
Considering my character comes from an Irregular group in some army, I think a greatsword would be less conspicuous, especially in a big city such as Sharn. But thanks for the suggestion.

comicshorse
2010-04-23, 07:09 PM
Have you considering the Raging Luck feat. I find it works pretty great in an Eberron game