PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Pen Tablet. Help Please?

Coplantor
2010-04-22, 11:39 AM
OK, this are my two options:

Wacom (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/wacom-bamboo-5-8-x-3-6-pen-tablet-ctl460m-black/10129922.aspx?path=85f9e28913bdbafb983bfad0f241fc4 een02)

or

Genius (http://www.geniusnet.com/geniusOnline/online.portal?_nfpb=true&productPortlet_actionOverride=/portlets/productArea/category/queryPro&_windowLabel=productPortlet&productPortletproductId=341176&_pageLabel=productPage&test=portlet-action)

The second one has pretty bigger numbers, but as far as I know, wacom is known for producing very good pen tablets. Help?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-04-22, 11:43 AM
I've heard good things about Wacom, and seen some damn awesome things produced with them.

Genius though, never heard of dem.

Coplantor
2010-04-22, 11:45 AM
That's exactly my problem. Also, the genius one is apparently better but costs less (at least here), wich raised more questions in my mind

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-22, 11:46 AM
Wacom all the way. Unless you're looking for something really professional (and with just the Bamboo I find that doubtful), you won't really miss the extra levels of sensitivity...and Wacom delivers a much better product. It's sort of the industry standard, and it's gotten that position for a reason.

I purchased myself the Bamboo Pen recently, and haven't regretted it for a moment. Still thinking of upgrading to the Intuos though...(wishes he had enough for a Cintiq)...

Crimmy
2010-04-22, 03:00 PM
Recommendation from a Wacom user:

You want a Bamboo.
You want to pay some little extra bucks.
You want quality over quantity.
I can assure you, Wacom is very good at tablets.

So, once again, I would go all the way with a Bamboo.

Castaras
2010-04-22, 03:38 PM
I'll just chip in with my usual comment that both my mum and I are very happy with our Trust tablets, and they only cost about £20-£30 each.

Winter_Wolf
2010-04-22, 05:13 PM
I have a Wacom Graphire 3, it's been good to me even though it wasn't designed to be used with a widescreen display. What kicks ass is those tablets that have the screen where you can write directly on it instead of training yourself to keep your eyes on the screen while you trust your hand to do what it needs to without looking at it. Unfortunately they're hideously expensive, but if you have capital to burn, it's totally worth it.

Crimmy
2010-04-22, 05:17 PM
I'll just chip in with my usual comment that both my mum and I are very happy with our Trust tablets, and they only cost about £20-£30 each.

Trouble is, he will not use £... Or at least I think he won't, unless he plans to travel to Europe just to buy his pen tablet.

Jarian
2010-04-22, 05:23 PM
I have an Intuous Wacom tablet, and I've never been disappointed with it. I hear good things about the Bamboo though (especially considering the price) and it should serve perfectly well as an entry-level tablet/personal use tablet.

Wacom all the way.

LemonSkye
2010-04-23, 06:29 AM
I have two Wacom products. One's a Graphire2 that I bought used off of eBay roughly 7 years ago; the other's an older model Cintiq I picked up a few months ago (also from eBay--and at a pretty deep discount, despite being new in box). Both tablets, despite the discrepancy in use between them, perform exactly the same as the day I first got them.

Wacoms might cost more initially, but you'll get your money's worth and more back, especially if the tablet will see heavy use. Believe me, I've really put my Graphire through the paces, and you'd never know from looking at the results.

So, yeah. Wacom all the way. :smallsmile: