PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Eternal youth

weenie
2010-04-22, 11:42 AM
If a character casts Clone when they're young and dies old from reasons other than old age, is the new body old or young? And what other ways are there for avoiding death from old age in D&D(3.5)?

Myou
2010-04-22, 11:43 AM
Elans don't age.
Reincarnate resets your age.

Ravens_cry
2010-04-22, 12:00 PM
Join the Magical Robot Horde: Be a Warforged!
In answer to your question, the spell says duplicate, and so I think would include ,as illogical as it may be, all the signs of ageing. Unlike Reincarnate, which explicitly resets you to young adult.
Edit: Rereading, I'm not sure. It just might, by RAW.

Optimystik
2010-04-22, 12:05 PM
And what other ways are there for avoiding death from old age in D&D(3.5)?

Here's a few (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0)

kamikasei
2010-04-22, 12:27 PM
Be an Eldritch Disciple; they get Timeless Body but without the "you still die at your maximum age" clause.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-22, 12:38 PM
I also suggest Otherworldly feat, which makes you a Native Outsider, Darkvision, and a nifty +2 to diplomacy to boot with your immortality

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-22, 12:57 PM
I had that same question awhile back, so I did something about it...

Immortal Template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46257)

Or you can summon this vestige and so long as you do it every day you do not age. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149591)

Morithias
2010-04-22, 01:55 PM
Native outsiders age unfortunately. The Tiefling and Aasimar age tables in the planer handbook is proof of that.

If you get epic at a young age, you can take that epic feat over and over.

There's also the "Green Star Adept" class.

I believe the half-celestial or half-fiend (which make you a pure outsider) works too.

Push come to shove, there is the necropolitan template in Libra Morris.

Sydonai
2010-04-22, 06:06 PM
Elans don't age.
Reincarnate resets your age.

Elves do age.....in some settings, in others they become NPCs when they hit 700.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-22, 06:07 PM
Elves do age.....in some settings, in others they become NPCs when they hit 700.

He said Elans not elves.

EvilJoe15
2010-04-22, 06:16 PM
Where do you see elf?
Elans are aberrations, and as such do not age.

olentu
2010-04-22, 06:22 PM
Where do you see elf?
Elans are aberrations, and as such do not age.

They do age but have no maximum age and so do not die from old age.

Morithias
2010-04-22, 07:19 PM
They do age but have no maximum age and so do not die from old age.

Edit: Apparently it was errata to have no max age. What kind of LA +0 race is ageless?

senrath
2010-04-22, 07:27 PM
Elans, apparently. :smalltongue:

Morithias
2010-04-22, 07:33 PM
Elans, apparently. :smalltongue:

Horribly designed. And possibly from looking at them, the only race that I hate more than the elves now. (Arrogant pricks).

Foryn Gilnith
2010-04-22, 07:50 PM
What kind of LA +0 race is ageless?

Elans. Warforged. Killoren. Neraph. Anything Necropolitan.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-22, 08:12 PM
What kind of LA +0 race is ageless?

Not dying of old age isn't really that big of a bonus. It doesn't come up in most campaigns, and in the campaigns where it really would matter, the DM would be perfectly justified if he added +1 LA to it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-22, 08:24 PM
Horribly designed. And possibly from looking at them, the only race that I hate more than the elves now. (Arrogant pricks).
When elves will outlive any of the other characters, and thus longer than any game, what does it matter if its centuries more than the characters or eternity?

That's not a reason to hate them for the love of Pete.

DueceEsMachine
2010-04-22, 08:29 PM
You know, having a really long life is great and all, but I think playing older characters can be a lot of fun too.

I especially enjoy the idea of a venerable Gully Dwarf. :smallbiggrin:

It makes me giggle just to think about playing one.

As far as ideas for immortality - psion uncarnate would do it too, plus when you get the capstone ability, you could just wear a psycoactive skin and choose for it to function normally, and you may as well still have a body!

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-22, 09:12 PM
There's also an [Evil] spell (from BoVD I think) that lets you steal people's youth. You can stay young forever with repeated castings of it.

Optimystik
2010-04-22, 11:41 PM

You realize Elans are just modified humans, right? :smallconfused:

2xMachina
2010-04-23, 01:28 AM
You realize Elans are just modified humans, right? :smallconfused:

Humans are pricks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumansAreBastards) :smalltongue:

Optimystik
2010-04-23, 06:02 AM
Humans are pricks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumansAreBastards) :smalltongue:

Unlike elves, we're honest about it :smallwink:

Asheram
2010-04-23, 01:57 PM
Join the Magical Robot Horde: Be a Warforged!
In answer to your question, the spell says duplicate, and so I think would include ,as illogical as it may be, all the signs of ageing. Unlike Reincarnate, which explicitly resets you to young adult.
Edit: Rereading, I'm not sure. It just might, by RAW.

I'd say by RAI as well, since you have to hire someone to "Gentle Repose" the body, which would mean that it's "dead" until a soul inhabits it.

deuxhero
2010-04-23, 02:02 PM
I also suggest Otherworldly feat, which makes you a Native Outsider, Darkvision, and a nifty +2 to diplomacy to boot with your immortality

And along with outsider type comes proficiency with all martial weapons.

Ormur
2010-04-23, 02:24 PM
I just posted a suggestion of last breath every time you hit venerable. Just like reincarnate but you need to have a druid on hand when you kill yourself and there's no level loss so you can repeat as necessary if you're unhappy with the new body.