PDA

View Full Version : Gelatinous Cube question

Olfgar
2010-04-22, 12:29 PM
Whats the most effective way to kill these suckers? My part make up is Fighter, Bard, Rogue, Wizard and a Monk (i didnt include any of the prestiege classes). Are there any of these classes more effective at this task than another? is there any certain weapon, feat or spell that should be used?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-22, 12:53 PM
They're very slow, and their AC is horrible. Basically, the broad side of a barn. Just pick them apart with missiles, retreating slowly if needed.

The only way these can be dangerous is if you don't see it and walk into it. As long as you're aware of their presense, you'll do fine.

Olfgar
2010-04-22, 12:56 PM
lol yeah i got that last part of being fine if i see it, but unfortunatly, my dwarf fighter DID walk into it XD. Its to bad my dwarf cant eat his way out. i just hope my Bard will spam Shout and my wizard will spam Maximize Fireball/ Maximize Disintegrate.

Escheton
2010-04-22, 12:57 PM
right...and how will those spells not kill you?

Olfgar
2010-04-22, 01:02 PM
Because im a tank *flex* . Also, i have a feeling that he wouldnt be TOO upset if i died, and there seems to be a trend of his spells not doing everything he wants, so id probably live (also the 5% chance of him not beating my spell resitance, along with 20points of elemental spell absorption and a little damage reduction, and having more health than damage he can deal)

Starbuck_II
2010-04-22, 01:05 PM
They aren't really made of jello. They just look it. :smalltongue:

Olfgar
2010-04-22, 01:07 PM
lol yeah, unfortunatly thats true...i think a high Fort save and high xp will let e take a chunk out of the sucker.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-04-22, 01:31 PM
Because im a tank *flex* . ... my spell resitance, ...20points of elemental spell absorption ... damage reduction ... having more health than damage he can deal)You're the man. Oh, wait, you're not. You're stuck inside a blob of jelly. ROTFL, this is just too hilarious.

Optimystik
2010-04-22, 01:37 PM
You're the man. Oh, wait, you're not. You're stuck inside a blob of jelly. ROTFL, this is just too hilarious.

In his defense, it is a rather silly monster. :smalltongue:
Still, he'll look great flexing while encased in lime jello.

Olfgar
2010-04-22, 01:37 PM
Im going with plan A) to have the wizard blast it while i eat it..um...alive? can this thing even count as "living"?

Morithias
2010-04-22, 01:52 PM
Leadership

They rarely have DR against piercing, and their AC is so low a commoner with a bow could hit it.

It would only do 1d8 damage, but once you get up to the CR 13, you'll have around a 100 followers or so.

Get my drift?

And remember they can't split forever, eventually they stop.

rayne_dragon
2010-04-22, 01:58 PM
I seem to remember my party always chucking flasks of oil and burning the cubes to death, but that was back in 1st edition.

Roderick_BR
2010-04-22, 02:11 PM
They aren't really made of jello. They just look it. :smalltongue:
You know, some characters will cook and eat any monster they find if they're hungry enough. And this one doesn't need to be cooked. But he'll need a lot of anti-acid spells....

But yah, the better is just stay out of it's range. My group used to attract these things to doors or stone arcs, or any similar rock formation to keep them from coming in close.

Funny, why is it always the dwarves? My dwarven friend once fell into one. The DM allowed me (the party's cleric) to roll reflex to grab him and pull him back out out (taking normal damage from it, that I healed after tending to the dwarf).

IonDragon
2010-04-22, 02:16 PM
The best way to kill a 10x10 one is to find a 5' wide doorway and throw rocks at it until it dies. Therefore, you Fighter is probably the best to deal with it, because he has both the highest str, and highest to hit (probably)

Morithias
2010-04-22, 02:27 PM
The best way to kill a 10x10 one is to find a 5' wide doorway and throw rocks at it until it dies. Therefore, you Fighter is probably the best to deal with it, because he has both the highest str, and highest to hit (probably)

Squeezing rules. A large monster CAN move in a 5' square, but it has to at half speed.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-22, 02:30 PM
Squeezing rules. A large monster CAN move in a 5' square, but it has to at half speed.

So a rather long 5x5 hallway.

Keld Denar
2010-04-22, 03:01 PM
Stairs are the easiest way to defeat a G Cube. They can't jump and have no mechanic for climbing. So...just find some stairs going up.

The easiest thing to do is just roll a Flaming Sphere into one, go make a sandwich, and if its not dead, repeat steps 1 and 2. Its not like it can really get away. Thats about the best use of a normally rather crappy spell.

Gan The Grey
2010-04-22, 04:09 PM
Stairs are the easiest way to defeat a G Cube. They can't jump and have no mechanic for climbing. So...just find some stairs going up.

The easiest thing to do is just roll a Flaming Sphere into one, go make a sandwich, and if its not dead, repeat steps 1 and 2. Its not like it can really get away. Thats about the best use of a normally rather crappy spell.

Since you don't have to roll a climb check to ascend or descend stairs, I don't think many DM's would find that this argument holds water.

Morithias
2010-04-22, 07:14 PM

They have a movement speed of 10 feet. If you're so close you have to run away from it, you need to rethink your last move.

holywhippet
2010-04-22, 07:35 PM
lol yeah i got that last part of being fine if i see it, but unfortunatly, my dwarf fighter DID walk into it XD. Its to bad my dwarf cant eat his way out. i just hope my Bard will spam Shout and my wizard will spam Maximize Fireball/ Maximize Disintegrate.

I'm not certain, but I think the freedom of movement spell would allow you to escape from the cube. It has to be delivered via touch though so some part of you would need to be sticking out.

jiriku
2010-04-22, 08:00 PM
Im going with plan A) to have the wizard blast it while i eat it..um...alive? can this thing even count as "living"?

Yes, it's alive. And plan A should work. Just have everybody beat on it at once. G-cubes don't have that many hit points.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-22, 09:02 PM
They have a movement speed of 10 feet. If you're so close you have to run away from it, you need to rethink your last move.

But the hallway would allow fighters to 5 foot step every round and full attack it with reach weapons. :smallbiggrin:

demidracolich
2010-04-22, 09:03 PM
It would be hilarous with an amulet of ooze riding because that makes you immune to acid and lets you ride on it. (or in it, if you prefer)

waterpenguin43
2010-04-22, 09:11 PM
I have a trap in my campaign; The most powerful sword the PC's are going to ever find is lying on a golden pedestal before them, guarded fiercely by a kleptomanica green dragon. He pick's it up and..... Splat. Jelly cube lands on him.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-22, 09:54 PM

At the other end of which the DM has put a second gelatinous cube.

IonDragon
2010-04-23, 12:18 AM
I have a trap in my campaign; The most powerful sword the PC's are going to ever find is lying on a golden pedestal before them, guarded fiercely by a kleptomanica green dragon. He pick's it up and..... Splat. Jelly cube lands on him.

An EXCELLENT trap from the Book Of Challenges was a simple 50' pit trap, with a G Cube at the bottom.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-23, 01:24 AM
Actually, you should just wait for it to kill itself with its own acid.

It's not immune to it, after all.

You do the math.

Dragero
2010-04-23, 06:56 AM
Stairs are the easiest way to defeat a Dalek . They can't jump and have no mechanic for climbing. So...just find some stairs going up.

Fixed it for ya!

Also, they aren`t immune to.....themselves? :O

Defiant
2010-04-23, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I had my players face off against a gelatinous cube, thinking it might make for an interesting encounter. It didn't.

deuxhero
2010-04-23, 09:08 AM
Since you don't have to roll a climb check to ascend or descend stairs, I don't think many DM's would find that this argument holds water.

But your have legs, cubes don't.

Yora
2010-04-23, 09:14 AM
It's a giant blob, it can just glide over the steps like a giant snail.

Thrawn183
2010-04-23, 09:34 AM
Not interesting, but what about when it's a fully advanced fiendish gelatinous cube ninja?

Yora
2010-04-23, 09:47 AM
You walk down a corridor and when you want to scratch your nose, you notice that you don't have a nose anymore. And no fingers either.

The_Admiral
2010-05-05, 05:27 AM
Fixed it for ya!

Also, they aren`t immune to.....themselves? :O

Dude watch http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Dalek_%28TV_story%29
buahahaha
E-LE-VATE

megabyter5
2010-05-05, 07:00 AM
For a gelatinous cube to take its own acid damage, it would have to...

I'm gonna have to replace the next word in this sentence with "come into contact with". I really don't want to invoke rule 34 on a gelatinous cube.

...Come into contact with itself.