PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Kobold Racials

Jergmo
2010-04-22, 01:22 PM
So, in my campaign setting, I've been tinkering with a lot of different races to make them more like what they were originally in mythology in the like (at least, partially), and today I'm working with kobolds. I'm certain it's not perfect, but I felt it was a good start - what could these racials use to make them balanced? Or if not, what would make them more worthy of a +1 adjustment and make sense at the same time? (Perhaps a bonus to intelligence or charisma? Both?) :smallconfused:

Kobolds
Str -4, +2 Dex
Fey type.
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
Racial Skills: A kobold has a +2 racial bonus on Search, as well as a Craft or Profession skill of their choice.
Slight Build: A kobold is considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space.
Spell-like abilities: 1/day—invisibility; caster level 1st.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-22, 01:29 PM
Any particular reason you changed the way Slight Build worked? It was fine the way it was, IMO (though I'm not familiar enough with the original mythology; maybe it was in some way not fitting, though I'd be surprised if that were so). In any event, if it's not going to work like Slight Build, it shouldn't be called Slight Build. Come up with a new name, or it will be confusing (kind of like Hide in Plain Sight is confusing as all heck).

Jergmo
2010-04-22, 01:40 PM
Any particular reason you changed the way Slight Build worked? It was fine the way it was, IMO (though I'm not familiar enough with the original mythology; maybe it was in some way not fitting, though I'd be surprised if that were so). In any event, if it's not going to work like Slight Build, it shouldn't be called Slight Build. Come up with a new name, or it will be confusing (kind of like Hide in Plain Sight is confusing as all heck).

I changed Slight Build because the way it was before, it would give a kobold the Hide bonus of a Tiny creature and that seemed a bit much.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-22, 01:52 PM
Honestly mechanicaly that doesn't seem worth it.

your -2 on stats.

Dark and low light is ok.

slight build is usless.

and the invis last all of a minute.

I would say restore the way slight build works. Maybe give them a bite attack? or some thing else... +1 CL unless your going for mechanical kobolds?

Jeff240sx
2010-04-22, 03:56 PM
Heh... I wouldn't play that for +1LA unless you're giving them more bonuses by calling them "Fey type".

Small with normal speed is good, probably +.5 LA. Unbalanced (negative) stats is -1LA.
Everything else is minor, and Slight Build is now useless.
And you took their Natural Armor, for the other half an LA.
So you're at at least -1 LA.
I definately wouldn't play that race as +0, unless you gave me a caster level. And I wouldn't touch it for +1.

Even +4 more hide (from a working Slight Build) isn't going to save it nor break your game.

Even in their former print, they're *nearly* -1 LA.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-22, 04:03 PM
Give them German as a racial language.

obnoxious
sig

Divide by Zero
2010-04-22, 04:04 PM

obnoxious
sig

I see what you did there.

Jergmo
2010-04-22, 04:06 PM

obnoxious
sig

Oh, it's a given that they'll speak in heavy German accents.

By the way, Irreverent Fool, you should totally see if the mods can revert you to Barbarian in the Playground permanently. It's fitting! :smalltongue:

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-22, 04:15 PM
Oh, it's a given that they'll speak in heavy German accents.

By the way, Irreverent Fool, you should totally see if the mods can revert you to Barbarian in the Playground permanently. It's fitting! :smalltongue:

"Vee have vays of makink you dalk." Yup. Totally ruined now. I may as well give them black uniforms and riding crops.

I don't recall hitting bugbear. And what do you mean it's fitting!

obnoxious
sig

Harperfan7
2010-04-22, 04:45 PM
-2 strength in addition to small size will prevent them from badassing their way through anything, it doesn't need to be -4. You may want to consider giving them -2 con if you still want them to be less physically powerful than other small races. +2 charisma doesn't cause any problems (I don't think).
A couple more skill bonuses wouldn't hurt, and I give my homebrew kobolds bonuses when using necromantic magic, like +1 to caster level or save dcs (just fits for me). I give them poison use as a racial ability.

Greenish
2010-04-22, 04:55 PM
So, in my campaign setting, I've been tinkering with a lot of different races to make them more like what they were originally in mythology in the like (at least, partially)What's original mythology for kobolds?

Or goblins, or bugbears, or, gods forbid, trolls (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllTrollsAreDifferent)?

Jergmo
2010-04-22, 04:58 PM
Alright. This is what the kobold is like thus far, updated:

Kobolds
Str -2, Dex +2, Con -2, Int +2, Cha +2
Fey type.
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
Racial Skills: A kobold has a +2 racial bonus on Search, Escape Artist and Listen checks as well as a Craft or Profession skill of their choice.
Slight Build: A kobold is considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space.
Spell-like abilities: 1/day—invisibility, dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + kobold's Cha modifier + spell level.
Favored Class: Rogue or sorcerer
Level Adjustment: +1

Greenish
2010-04-22, 05:12 PM
Alright. This is what the kobold is like thus far, updated:

Kobolds
Str -2, Dex +2, Con -2, Int +2, Cha +2
Fey type.
Racial Skills: A kobold has a +2 racial bonus on Search, Escape Artist and Listen checks as well as a Craft or Profession skill of their choice.
Spell-like abilities: 1/day—invisibility, dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + kobold's Cha modifier + spell level.
Favored Class: Rogue or sorcerer
Level Adjustment: +1Gnome cantrips (& invisibility for 1 min./day) and positive total attribute modifiers aren't bringing it to LA +1 what with the Con penalty. Fey type just might tip it, but still.

It would help if you explained what you are trying to achieve by changing them. Do you just want to make them +1 LA?

jiriku
2010-04-22, 05:14 PM
I would call that a solid +0 LA race. It's pretty similar to a gnome.

If you're aiming for a +1 LA on a race with favored class of rogue or sorcerer, ask yourself this question:

"What could I add to this that would make me willing to defer my first rogue special ability to 11th level? Or my first 9th level spell to 19th level?"

If you wouldn't hold off on capstone features in order to get the racial benefits, then it's not worth a +1 LA.

Jergmo
2010-04-22, 05:20 PM
Gnome cantrips (& invisibility for 1 min./day) and positive total attribute modifiers aren't bringing it to LA +1 what with the Con penalty. Fey type just might tip it, but still.

It would help if you explained what you are trying to achieve by changing them. Do you just want to make them +1 LA?

I just wanted to make them into Fey as they are in mythology, instead of little humanoids descended from dragons.

Ranger Mattos
2010-04-22, 05:32 PM
Psst. Shouldn't this be in Homebrew forum?

Anyways, it looks good. But I prefer the old way Slight Build works.

cupkeyk
2010-04-22, 05:34 PM
Okay, I like it.

I suggest this supernatural ability.

Iron to Cobalt: (su) Once per day, as a standard action the Kobold may make a melee touch attack against an object, including items worn or held by an opponent like weapons or armor, the primary composition of which must be steel or iron. On a hit, the item's hardness is reduced to 5 and its hitpoints halved. If it provides an armor bonus, this is reduced by 2. If it is a weapon, it gives a -2 penalty to atttack rolls and damage. The kobold can affect up to a five foot cube of material; if the kobold targets an object larger than a five foot cube, it affects only a portion of the object equal to a five foot cube. Worn and held items are allowed a fortitude save to resist this effect with a dc equal to 10 plus the kobolds charisma modifier plus half the kobolds's hitdice

Greenish
2010-04-22, 05:40 PM
I just wanted to make them into Fey as they are in mythology, instead of little humanoids descended from dragons.I've already asked, but what mythology would that be?

Kobolds, as far as I know, are D&D invention. (Or goblins in german, as has been pointed out, but I doubt you want to make them the same race with two different languages to separate them.)

[Edit]: Cupkeyk, shouldn't it be 5 foot cube?

cupkeyk
2010-04-22, 05:44 PM
I've already asked, but what mythology would that be?

Kobolds, as far as I know, are D&D invention. (Or goblins in german, as has been pointed out, but I doubt you want to make them the same race with two different languages to separate them.)

Yeah cube, I'll fix it.

Kobolds are mining creatures that replace ores of iron with useless soft and brittle blue metals. Cobalt, the metal and element, was named after kobolds.

Jergmo
2010-04-22, 05:44 PM
I've already asked, but what mythology would that be?

Kobolds are from German mythology - they come in three varieties. House sprites, which is where all the confusing mixing is, earth/forest spirits, and water spirits. The former naturally live in houses, the second live in mines and forests, and the latter accompany sailors.

Greenish
2010-04-22, 05:49 PM
Yeah cube, I'll fix it.

Kobolds are mining creatures that replace ores of iron with useless soft and brittle blue metals. Cobalt, the metal and element, was named after kobolds.Hmm, right you are. Still, kobolds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold) in mythology don't seem to have anything to do with D&D's ones.

Shouldn't they be tiny and perhaps incorporeal with shape-changing powers and so forth? Of course, they wouldn't look anything like D&D kobolds either...

[Edit]: Though of course, the descriptions of them vary so much it won't be possible to incorporate all of them in a single D&D race.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-04-22, 05:59 PM
Hmm, right you are. Still, kobolds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold) in mythology don't seem to have anything to do with D&D's ones.

Shouldn't they be tiny and perhaps incorporeal with shape-changing powers and so forth? Of course, they wouldn't look anything like D&D kobolds either...

[Edit]: Though of course, the descriptions of them vary so much it won't be possible to incorporate all of them in a single D&D race.

ya from what i've read about them thjere kinda a german gnome

Keld Denar
2010-04-22, 06:23 PM
Hmmmmm, Fey type...

Are there any good low HD Fey that you could totally abuse Alter Self with? That would make them worth the +1 LA, for sure.

I don't suppose you'd write up some kind of Greater Fey Rite of Passage? Kobalds without free Sorcerer levels just don't feel very Kobaldy...

nedz
2010-04-22, 06:53 PM
You're really creating a new Monster here - which is fine, well quite good actually.

The Draconic/Sorcerous Kobald is very much a 3.0/3.5 creation.

Previously they were just dog headed humanoids, quite similiar to goblins.

Looking at the Wiki article linked to above the German Mythological creatures seem to have had several powers. You could use a character level dependant sequence of powers like the Half Fey Template (but slightly different obviously). You also seem to have ignored some fey traits. Would adding these generate powers amounting to +1 LA ?

Jergmo
2010-04-22, 07:13 PM
You also seem to have ignored some fey traits. Would adding these generate powers amounting to +1 LA ?

Fey Type

A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connections to nature or to some other force or place. Fey are usually human-shaped.
Features

A fey has the following features.

* 6-sided Hit Dice.
* Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard).
* Good Reflex and Will saves.
* Skill points equal to (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits

A fey possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Low-light vision.
* Proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
* Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Fey not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Fey are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
* Fey eat, sleep, and breathe.

:smallconfused:

Darrin
2010-04-22, 10:03 PM
Are there any good low HD Fey that you could totally abuse Alter Self with? That would make them worth the +1 LA, for sure.

Shaedling (MM5) has Shadow Gossamer (Ex), as a swift action create any item you can think of as long as its 15 lbs or less. If they create a weapon, they are automatically proficient with it.

Feytouched (FF) has Immunity to Mind Effects (Ex).

Fossergrim (FF) has Fast Healing 5 (Ex).

Bog Imp (HoH) has Burrow 60'.

Domovoi (Frostburn) has immunity to fire.

Nereid (Stormwrack) has Deflection (Ex), adds Cha bonus to AC.

Oriental Adventures has a bunch of weird fey, but the only interesting (Ex) I can find is Nature Spirit's Local Knowledge (Ex), which gives you commune with nature at will, radius equal to 1 mile per hit die.