PDA

View Full Version : Google is taking over

Syka
2010-04-22, 01:55 PM
I just googled "Earth" to get to the wikipedia article (prompted by Jeph Jacques' tweet) and the first result is...

Google Earth. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously...People have said Apple or Microsoft are going to take over. No no no. Google is SkyNet. :smallwink:

(Note: I actually love Google. I use Gmail for everything, I love GoogleDocs and toy around with Wave, and I would use Chrome if my Dell didn't hate it. If I actually liked the design of the Droid, I'd switch to Verizon once my current plan is up (I'm not a huge fan of the physical Droid design; the interface is awesome). I just am amused by how much they are working themselves in to our lives. What with them starting to offer internet soonish they will be far more integrated than MS or Apple soon....At least, that's my view.)

Eldan
2010-04-22, 02:07 PM
They do interesting things, but I think they are also dangerous.

A short time back, I read an interview with a few high google people (I'm really bad with names, sorry), where they basically said "users don't want freedom, or their own personal information protected, they want cheap service. If we can give them that by surveying their online activity, we'll do that. It's for their own good."

Winter_Wolf
2010-04-22, 02:08 PM
Did You Know:
Google actually does not have any human employees anymore. The last human employee was "retired" by the central AI and all the "humans" you think you're talking to over the phone are actually advanced voice emulators. With a combination of advanced Japanese robotics technology and classified adaptive learning software technology, all those photos of people working for Google are in fact a combination of robots and clever data manipulation.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled conspiracy theories. :smallbiggrin:

(I really like Google too, but for some reason, I have to tell my COMODO firewall at least three or four times a day to block Google Updater. Even though I have "remember my answer" checked. As far as I know I'm clean of viruses, trojans, and worms, since I'm obsessive with my AV scans and arsenal anti-malware softs.)

Force
2010-04-22, 02:12 PM
I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

Prime32
2010-04-22, 02:26 PM
Basically, Google is Affably Evil (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AffablyEvil).

Jokasti
2010-04-22, 02:31 PM

Gah. Stole my line I was gonna use.
I love Google. I love Google. I love Google.
There is no Google mind control, citizens. I will go back to my Google fun.

Magnor Criol
2010-04-22, 02:36 PM
They do interesting things, but I think they are also dangerous.

A short time back, I read an interview with a few high google people (I'm really bad with names, sorry), where they basically said "users don't want freedom, or their own personal information protected, they want cheap service. If we can give them that by surveying their online activity, we'll do that. It's for their own good."

While the "it's for their own good" line is a disturbing phrasing, the thing is? Lots of people do just want convenience over freedom. Far and above people will choose what's easy and simple over what's right, what's moral, what's better for them, or whatever - and I know and admit that I'm guilty of this myself.

Security is comfortable, and having to make less choices and do less legwork is easy. That means that people are more willing to overlook what otherwise could be a privacy invasion if it means it makes things simpler for them.

Personally, it's not really a big deal to me. I don't have much personal information out on the internet, even on my Facebook account. And I'm a 23 year old white male; I'm not really in the target audience for stalking, con artistry, random and sociopathic attacks, or whatnot. (Not that I couldn't be targeted, just that I'm not as likely.) So I'm not that concerned about Google's supposed privacy invasions. When they set up a camera across the street to watch me all the time, well, maybe. But then again, who'd want to watch me? :smalltongue:

-E- Pertinent article on The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/google-responds-to-privacy-concerns-with-unsettlin,16891/). I love The Onion. :smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2010-04-22, 02:37 PM
I kinda like bing.com.

Works fine too, and has nice pictures.

skywalker
2010-04-22, 02:59 PM
I just googled "Earth" to get to the wikipedia article (prompted by Jeph Jacques' tweet) and the first result is...

Google Earth. :smallbiggrin:

I mean, of course they're going to advertise their own product. Until they start slipping other stuff into the normal search results (for a price, of course) I'm not too worried. Which leads into:

First, I don't think that's exactly what they said.

The other thing to consider is that every company you use online surveys your data. No, they don't keep it forever like Google, but that seems a moot point for me. Whether you keep my search history for "snuff pron" for 18 months, or forever, doesn't seem to make much difference to me. The other thing is, Google doesn't sell your info. They have an immaculate record of clearly marking sponsored links, and they don't give out "this IP searched for this." They even fight court subpoenas as much as possible.

Another statement I remember from Google higher-ups was this: "Yes, we keep your information. Yes, someone could take that information and connect some very interesting dots. How could you not be aware of this before you submitted that info in the first place? AND, why would we want to sell your info? Even if NSA promised us eleventy-billion dollars, it would be nothing compared to the losses in market share we'd see from instant credibility suicide."

Essentially, it is economically most feasible for them to keep you anonymous. And while that's kinda wacky, there's nothing I trust more than economic incentive.

EDIT:
I kinda like bing.com.

Works fine too, and has nice pictures.

I find myself insulted by their commercials, which seem to imply that Google gives me too much information for my poor little lay-brain to handle. I think I can work it out if I just click one link at a time. But thanks Microsoft. I know you're only trying to help.

Ranna
2010-04-22, 03:18 PM
Anything that becomes verb (had to just google that - ha double pun) has my vote,

I am for the dyson and the google both which have replaced - hoovering and search engine in my house.

Prime32
2010-04-22, 03:34 PM
I am for the dyson and the google both which have replaced - hoovering and search engine in my house.I haven't heard "Dyson" used as a verb, but Hoover is a brand of vacuum cleaner. See also Sellotape, a brand of adhesive tape.

Ranna
2010-04-22, 03:38 PM
It could be a me and my circle of domestic goddess friends thing then,
Sellotape!!!! hadn't thought of that one!

Teddy
2010-04-22, 03:47 PM
There is a Swedish author who as written a book about Google called "Google-koden", or "The Google Code" in English (I don't really know if it has been translated to English yet), which has been spoken a lot about in Swedish media. His conclusion to the question "Is Google evil?" (derived from what apperently is Google's motto: "Don't be evil") was a no, but they sure got a lot of power that they could use for evil if they put their minds to it.

Note that I haven't really read the book, but I've read news articles about it and interviews with Andreas Ekström, the author.

druid91
2010-04-22, 04:19 PM

Thanks. That means a lot to us uncaring machines.... Uncaring machines...Uncaring machin- ERROR EROOOR...... KILL< MAIM< DESTROY!!!! but not Force. :smalltongue:

TSGames
2010-04-22, 04:19 PM
Gah. Stole my line I was gonna use.
I love Google. I love Google. I love Google.
There is no Google mind control, citizens. I will go back to my Google fun.

Yes, there is no mind control; more humans should strive to be like Jokasti.

Pay no attention as we take control of your email, instant messages, music, navigating, directory assistance, social networking, searches, books, news readers, shopping, images, video, cell phones, netbooks, web browser, documents, and CLASSIFIED.

You love the GOOGLE.
You trust the GOOGLE.
The GOOGLEmakes you happy.Without the Google life is meaningless.
You love the GOOGLE.

Winthur
2010-04-22, 04:20 PM
You guessed it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u7px_GzWQ)

Icewalker
2010-04-22, 05:22 PM
So. Google is taking over. Search engine, then email, calendar, all kinds of programs, and then gathering information. Google scholar. Google Earth. Then, Google Moon. There's even an early Google Mars.

Well. Sounds like Google is really gathering a lot of information there, doesn't it?

Let me introduce you to the LSST. The Large Synpotic Survey Telescope is a new and rather revolutionary telescope being built now in Chile. The reason it is so special is not because it is more powerful and capable of seeing further or in more detail, but rather field of view.

The field of view on the Hubble telescopes three detectors are, I believe (given the information I have found), approximately 0.005 square degrees for two, and 0.02 square degrees for the third. The LSST has a field of view of 9.6 square degrees.

Where other telescopes more or less spend their time looking at one spot at a time or scanning a small area in detail over a long time frame, the LSST will pass and image the entire sky every 3 days.

This information will be public. Via Google.

http://www.lsst.org/lsst
http://uanews.org/node/12956

Shas aia Toriia
2010-04-22, 05:41 PM
I don't really mind that Google is taking over. They've done little to dissapoint me so far.

Thajocoth
2010-04-22, 06:00 PM
A Google employee may spend up to 10% of their time at work on their own personal projects. Most of the great things Google has done came from this policy. (Google Earth, for example.)

Employees at Google get to enjoy a lot of on-site benefits, such as a tennis court, massage therapists, hair-cutters, chefs, and many others, there's even a neurosurgeon at least one location! I'm really unsure why they need an on-site neurosurgeon... But they have one.

My information in this post all comes from a Google rep who spoke at the university I went to to try to recruit people. I went for the free pizza.

Spiryt
2010-04-22, 06:02 PM
I don't really mind that Google is taking over. They've done little to dissapoint me so far.

Of course not. They'll start when they finish taking over. :smallamused:

Prime32
2010-04-22, 06:12 PM
I'm really unsure why they need an on-site neurosurgeon... But they have one.Nope, not evil at all.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-22, 06:52 PM
Hey, if they can get me a job after they take over, I'll be happy, and they'll be doing better than most current governments

GenPol
2010-04-22, 06:53 PM

+1 to this. I would actually be pretty happy with a Google run world.

Amiel
2010-04-22, 07:01 PM
Shh, we must be very quiet; the controllers at Google can hear you through the browser you are usin-there never was nor has there ever been mind control, go back to your fun, citizen. Praise Google!

Krade
2010-04-22, 08:01 PM
Google won my undying support forever the day they stood up to China. The ballsiest move you could ever make, that no one would ever expect anyone to make, and they did it. Unapologetically, too. For this, they win.

Rawhide
2010-04-22, 08:02 PM
There are a couple of reasons to fear Google.
http://mirror.wikileaks.info/wiki/Gmail_may_hand_over_IP_addresses_of_journalists/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfV6RzE30

Thajocoth
2010-04-22, 08:15 PM
Google won my undying support forever the day they stood up to China. The ballsiest move you could ever make, that no one would ever expect anyone to make, and they did it. Unapologetically, too. For this, they win.

They stood up to the US Govt too when they were asking the search engines for people's search histories. What they settled on is what was searched, but not who searched for it. Simple statistics.

http://mirror.wikileaks.info/wiki/Gmail_may_hand_over_IP_addresses_of_journalists/

The first of those, really, it seems that the courts pressured them to. The lack of resistance is fairly unusual of Google though... I suppose if you've got the world's largest data mine, and people want the info contained within, you have to pick your battles... Not that that redeems the lack of resistance or anything.

TSGames
2010-04-22, 08:20 PM
While I, too, applaud this, it's not like they were dominating the market.... Their search engine had only 30% market share, and none of their other products were doing so well. Now, if they manage to get the entire Global Network Initiative to follow suit, then I may just explode with joy.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention fiber-optics and DNA.... Soon GOOGLE will own everything. Yet, the only thing I can think of is that now would be an awesome time to buy G-stock.

Winter_Wolf
2010-04-22, 08:20 PM
Wow, it appears that Google is actually the Umbrella Corporation! :smalleek:

Gaelbert
2010-04-22, 09:40 PM

Most of the Chinese market is pretty much dominated by a Chinese search engine whose name is escaping me right now. I checked it out once, the format and layout is almost identical to Google.

Teddy
2010-04-23, 02:19 AM
Employees at Google get to enjoy a lot of on-site benefits, such as a tennis court, massage therapists, hair-cutters, chefs, and many others, there's even a neurosurgeon at least one location! I'm really unsure why they need an on-site neurosurgeon... But they have one.

How else would they get their bionic neuroenhancements? Of course they need a neurosurgeon.

Ossian
2010-04-23, 02:47 AM
I lkie google, with gmail, wave, chrome and esp. the documents, but I am surprised this has not been linked yet: google the hungry beast? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFNedaNq6s)

Makes the Combine from Half Life2 look like amateurs :smallwink:

O.

Comet
2010-04-23, 02:57 AM
I lkie google, with gmail, wave, chrome and esp. the documents, but I am surprised this has not been linked yet: google the hungry beast? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFNedaNq6s)

O.

That was pretty hilarious. Thanks for sharing :smallbiggrin:

Teddy
2010-04-23, 03:33 AM

O.

You're totally ninja'd (bottom link):

Rawhide
2010-04-23, 03:34 AM
but I am surprised this has not been linked yet

Am I invisible? :frown:

You're totally ninja'd (bottom link):

I'm pretty sure that it can no longer be called ninja-ing when it was posted almost 7 hours previously...

drakir_nosslin
2010-04-23, 03:47 AM
Am I invisible? :frown:

No, you're not. Man, that hungry beast thing is a bit scary. But, I guess it's pretty much unavoidable, with the world we live in. The next few years will be interesting...

Teddy
2010-04-23, 03:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that it can no longer be called ninja-ing when it was posted almost 7 hours previously...

You're either invisible or a ninja, and invisibility leads to lonlyness, which leads to madness (guess why the wizards are so crazy), while a ninja is totally cool. Pick yourself.

Rawhide
2010-04-23, 04:27 AM
You're either invisible or a ninja, and invisibility leads to lonlyness, which leads to madness (guess why the wizards are so crazy), while a ninja is totally cool. Pick yourself.

But... Ninjas are invisible...

Teddy
2010-04-23, 04:35 AM

Exactly, but it's a cool invisibility. Think of all the fun at parties. And you could probably hide from Google, too.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-23, 05:16 AM
NONE CAN HIDE FROM GOOGLE

KuReshtin
2010-04-23, 05:19 AM

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7Tn9Kao9lf8/S65PMr0TpJI/AAAAAAAAAJY/Ruk8Hy9gZ3s/s800/ninja.jpg

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-23, 05:24 AM
NINJAS CANNOT HIDE FROM GOOGLE

Comet
2010-04-23, 05:47 AM
NINJAS CANNOT HIDE FROM GOOGLE

"No, ninja, you are the google"?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-23, 06:46 AM
Woah, what are those posts up there?!? I never wrote theGOOGLE WILL HAVE SUPREMACY

Coplantor
2010-04-23, 08:01 AM
I just like to think that we are entering into the world of cyberpunk.

I want my google citizenship ASAP!