PDA

View Full Version : By Your Powers Combined...

Beowulf DW
2010-04-22, 01:59 PM
Some of you may remember a thread I posted a few months ago asking for advice on an all-psionic party. I was eventually convinced to switch from Divine Mind to Ardent, and somehow the discussion turned toward a Captain Planet-themed party that would use Metaconcert to summon powerful astral constructs.

Those of you who remember that may be pleased to know that the idea caught on quickly, and we are now preparing a party in which each member is tied to an element.

Our party at the moment (I think we're starting at level 4):

FIRE: A psy-warrior who uses a flaming whip (I'm really not clear on how he does this)

WIND: a psion who I think is specializing in psychokinesis

Heart: a cleric with latent psionic capacity (We needed a good Band-Aid dispenser healer, and powers like that can be interpreted as powers of the "heart")

There's one more player who will most likely be the water portion of our merry little band.

Earth: my ardent, with the Natural World, Creation and Earth Mantles (the Earth mantle is part of the elemental mantles ACF)

Some of you may be thinking that the Creation Mantle isn't very "earthy" but alot of those astral constructs look vaguely crystaline, but if you think that a different mantle would fit the theme better feel free to make an argument for it. Also, with the Skin of the Construct feat, my ardent is starting to look like some kind of psionic druid.

Has anyone else ever done a party based around a specific theme? How did it work out?

Morithias
2010-04-22, 02:11 PM
I say make Planet a Solar Angel. Have it so the party can summon him when the enemy is at like quarter health or something as a finishing move. :D

This sounds like a crazy, but awesome idea. Good luck!

Divide by Zero
2010-04-22, 02:17 PM
For Heart, wouldn't a life mantle ardent work better thematically?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-04-22, 02:18 PM
How about they create some sort of superpowered being of the kind of the Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html)?

So, the summon wouldn't be an automatic win.

Morithias
2010-04-22, 02:28 PM
How about they create some sort of superpowered being of the kind of the Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html)?

So, the summon wouldn't be an automatic win.

Wasn't the guy being basically an overpowered superman knock off the point of the hero? I thought he was SUPPOSED to be an auto-win, that's why I say add a summoning clause where the team has to do most of the work before they can use it.

Fayd
2010-04-22, 02:29 PM
Could the fire guy be going pyrokineticist or something like that eventually?

I have done a party centered around a particular theme: For a one-shot I played at a local event, the DM set up a Legend of Zelda style game, and all of the party members were Shiekah... basically shadow warriors. All had to have 3 levels of rogue, and we had an interesting party from there... I ended up taking Shadowdancer and AoOing things to oblivion.

But as for an actual campaign, no I haven't. I've only been in one (and it is still going) and the only 'theme' we have is whatever appears to be fun to you. So a paladin, an assassin, a lightning mage, a spider-person-priestess, an ice fairy princess archer, and... Fluffy. An orc barbarian. No theme whatsoever, but it's fun.

Good luck with this though, it looks like it should be fun. Calling the spirit of the plane itself to destroy your foes.

dspeyer
2010-04-22, 03:27 PM
IIRC clerics have very few heart-related powers. You might swap him for a bard or beguiler.

Kiren
2010-04-22, 03:31 PM
This is the psionic prc class that grants a flaming whip.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm

Beowulf DW
2010-04-22, 03:40 PM
For Heart, wouldn't a life mantle ardent work better thematically?

Life mantle ardents aren't as good at healing as clerics are. I was planning to take the Life mantle myself, but cleric's player had already decided on the class.

Dr Bwaa
2010-04-22, 03:43 PM
Heart: a cleric with latent psionic capacity (We needed a good Band-Aid dispenser healer, and powers like that can be interpreted as powers of the "heart")

I always pictured Ma-Ti as a Druid, given that his powers generally manifest in dealing with animals, and his healing abilities are tied to knowledge of the plants of the rain forest (IIRC).

Jack_Simth
2010-04-22, 04:39 PM
I always pictured Ma-Ti as a Druid, given that his powers generally manifest in dealing with animals, and his healing abilities are tied to knowledge of the plants of the rain forest (IIRC).
He always seemed a bit more of a pacifistic telepath, to me. The communications guy - he felt out where people were, talked to them remotely, and so on.

Swordgleam
2010-04-23, 08:18 AM
That sounds awesome and like a ton of fun!

Has anyone else ever done a party based around a specific theme? How did it work out?

Not in D&D, but in Midgard. We all made our characters separately (well, picked out our archetypes/core stats separately) and inadvertently all ended up having our highest rune, by a wide margin, be Odin. Odin is the closest thing to a dump stat in Midgard, since it covers magic/luck and being intimidating and nothing else. As opposed to, say, Tyr, which covers all fighting skills. So we were the all Odin all the time party.

I used Odin for berserking, the Trickster/Fateweaver had a bunch of buffs, and I really don't know what Odin did for the Hunter. What ended up happening is that we would either slaughter everything near us within the first two rounds of combat, or we would all almost die. Sometimes both.

It was awesome.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-04-23, 08:53 AM
Not in D&D, but in Midgard. .

How about Warhammer world?

"Let our power combine!!"

transformation/summon sequence

"Don't worry kids! I will beat that..."

Nurgle covers him in infectuous goo

"IT BURNNNNSSS!!"

lyko555
2010-04-23, 10:41 AM