PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Prestige Class requirements

Morquard
2010-04-22, 02:42 PM
Hi

This is most likely a pretty stupid question, but I just want to make sure.

When a prestige class has a requirment like "Hide 10 ranks", does that mean I have to have bought 10 ranks with skillpoints (which happens at level 7 earliest), or does it mean as soon as I have a score of 10 in the Hide skill, including ability bonus, skill focus or other feats?

Panigg
2010-04-22, 02:43 PM
You need to actually invest the 10 points. Or 20 cross class.

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-22, 02:43 PM
Only bought skill ranks count.

Il_Vec
2010-04-22, 02:44 PM
I really means having 10 ranks, as per spent skillpoints, not having +10 bonus.

Person_Man
2010-04-22, 02:47 PM
It also means that you need to be at least 7th level, as the maximum rank in Skill is Level + 3.

You also need at least one level of any class that has that Skill as a class Skill. Otherwise the minimum character level would be 17, since the maximum level of cross class Skills is (level + 3)/2.

Telonius
2010-04-22, 02:58 PM
Also, bear in mind that ranks in a skill are given out after you select the class. For example, Assassin requires 8 ranks in move silently. If you're a Rogue and max out your Move Silently, you will have 7 ranks when you get to level 4. You can't take Assassin at fifth level, even if you were going to put your skill point into Move Silently, because you don't yet have the 8 ranks. You'd have to take one more level of Rogue before you qualify. You have to take Rogue5 before you take Assassin1.

Morithias
2010-04-22, 07:16 PM
There are ways around some of those things though if you allow campaign setting material. For example the "laborious training" feat allows you to have a max rank in any intelligence based skill as 5 + character level. It's a good one for getting into wizard classes that have knowledge as their highest requirement and such.

I think races of destiny had a human one where it was 4 + CL too. But i'm not sure.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-04-22, 07:42 PM
Doc Roc (IIRC) has some notable early entry shenanigans, including the Dusk Giant one.
"Laborious Training", as far as I can tell, is a feat from Ravenloft (specifically Legacy of the Blood, published by Sword and Sorcery). I assume it does what Morithias says it does; I don't own the book.
"Favored", from Cityscape, allows one to exceed to cap by one.
"Codex Anathema", a magic item from Lords of Madness, allows early entry, in theory. It's too expensive for it to matter on most characters.

Nohwl
2010-04-22, 07:44 PM
what book is laborious training in?

edit--nevermind.

Morithias
2010-04-22, 07:45 PM
Doc Roc (IIRC) has some notable early entry shenanigans, including the Dusk Giant one.
"Laborious Training", as far as I can tell, is a feat from Ravenloft (specifically Legacy of the Blood, published by Sword and Sorcery). I assume it does what Morithias says it does; I don't own the book.
"Favored", from Cityscape, allows one to exceed to cap by one.
"Codex Anathema", a magic item from Lords of Madness, allows early entry, in theory. It's too expensive for it to matter on most characters.

hmm...although in arms and equipment there are rules about buying magical items that give you feats....so you could by a "helm of favored" without having to take the feat, and get in one level early.