PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ioun Stones please

Cogidubnus
2010-04-22, 03:26 PM
The orange Ioun Stone provides "+1 caster level". Two questions:

1) Is this bonus to caster level purely for spell damage, or do you gain spell slots?

2) Do they stack? I get the impression you can have more than one Ioun Stone, and this is an untyped bonus.

This really confused me. The description's really undetailed.

Jeff240sx
2010-04-22, 03:42 PM
The orange Ioun Stone provides "+1 caster level". Two questions:

1) Is this bonus to caster level purely for spell DCs, or do you gain spell slots?

2) Do they stack? I get the impression you can have more than one Ioun Stone, and this is an untyped bonus.

This really confused me. The description's really undetailed.

1) Caster Levels are for damage and duration. DC and extra slots, no.
2) Bonuses from the same source don't stack...

nedz
2010-04-22, 03:42 PM
Its an increase in caster level so it effects all spell variables which depend upon this. (eg Duration, number of dice of damage, etc.)
It does not effect the spell DC nor does it increase your class level so you do not get more spells etc.

Bonuses of the same kind do not stack though the DMG has this as an untyped bonus.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-22, 03:46 PM
Caster level has no effect on DC. It only affects things like duration, damage, and overcoming spell resistance.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-22, 03:48 PM
Edited DC to damage (it's late and I'm sleepy, my mistake). I thought untyped bonuses stacked, but apparently not.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-22, 04:07 PM
Edited DC to damage (it's late and I'm sleepy, my mistake). I thought untyped bonuses stacked, but apparently not.

Untyped bonuses do stack, but a reasonable reading of the following would suggest that multiple orange ioun stones do not stack:

Stacking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/thebasics.htm#stacking)

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses however, do stack with one another unless otherwise specified.

Multiple of the same magic item seems similar enough to the example of 'the same spell cast twice in succession'.

To answer your first question, the +1 CL only works for effects that specifically mention caster level. It is not the same as "+1 level to spellcasting class" that many PrC's use. A fireball will do an extra die of damage, your caster level checks for things like defeating SR is higher, your spells will generally last longer, etc.

Note that per RAW, this works for any effect or restriction that mentions caster level, such as item creation.

obnoxious
sig

Panigg
2010-04-22, 04:33 PM
The ability or item usually state if the bonus stacks. If it does not, assume the rule that was just posted is valid.

For example the ToB Stance "Blood in the water" has an untyped bonus of +1 hit +1 damage for every crit you do, which stacks. The ability states that it stacks, otherwise it wouldn't.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 06:32 PM
There's one way I know of in which a boost to CL can give you more spells: a Cleric with an appropriate Candle of Invocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#candleofInvocation):

A cleric whose alignment matches the candle’s operates as if two levels higher for purposes of determining spells per day if he burns the candle during or just prior to his spell preparation time. He can even cast spells normally unavailable to him, as if he were of that higher level, but only so long as the candle continues to burn. Pretty much everybody focuses on the underpriced Gate option of this magic item, but I really like the boost to spellcasting. It's expensive, but if you know that you've got a big battle upcoming, this will let you prepare and cast prep spells at levels normally unavailable to you. It's nice to be able to cast Energy Immunity when you're 9th level. :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2010-04-22, 06:51 PM
Note that per RAW, this works for any effect or restriction that mentions caster level, such as item creation.

Its also great for anyone with Minor Shapeshift, and a few other funky feats. One of Minor Shapeshift's abilities is to give you temp HP equal to your CL. Since an Orange IWIN Stone increases your CL, you get more HP out of your Minor Shapeshift.

And thats icing on the cake with regards to anything else the +1 CL gives, like resistance to Dispel Magic and the ability to overcome Spell Resistance.

When you stack +CLs from different sources (Archmage, Create Magic Tattoo, Orange IWIN Stones, various domains, etc), life as a mage gets MUCH easier. Thats one of the major draws of the Earth Spell/Shadowcraft Mage combo. Hyperinflated CLs are glorious!

Cogidubnus
2010-04-23, 09:48 AM
Thanks. This is what I thought was the case, but for some reason I felt this was sufficiently different from other similar examples to warrant confusion. Though I can't remember the examples I was thinking of.