PDA

View Full Version : Horror Inspiration: The Enigma of Amigara Fault

Leliel
2010-04-22, 07:56 PM
Well, I was exploring TV Tropes, and on my travails, I came across this (http://brasscockroach.com/h4ll0w33n2007/manga/Amigara-Full/Amigara.html) lovely horror manga.

Besides giving me temporary claustrophobia, it also hit me as a great thing to yoink for inspiration in whatever game system you run horror campaigns in

krossbow
2010-04-22, 08:21 PM
Meh. I never found that idea intriguing; it relies on people apparently failing will saves and willfully entering into a deathtrap--knowing full and well its a deathtrap.

Doc Roc
2010-04-22, 08:23 PM
And then dying.

Leliel
2010-04-22, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I know. The characters really picked up the idiot ball in the story, and ate it.

I always assumed it was a mind-affecting effect.

But leaving aside the idiocy of horror manga protagonists, it's still scary, right?

Mikeavelli
2010-04-22, 08:49 PM
I think it'd be best if the characters take the role of the rescue squad, persons who have to deal with it even though they aren't personally affected.

Then make them nervous or scared by the idea that they too might be personally affected.

Leliel
2010-04-22, 08:56 PM
I think it'd be best if the characters take the role of the rescue squad, persons who have to deal with it even though they aren't personally affected.

Then make them nervous or scared by the idea that they too might be personally affected.

That's what I thought.

No one wants to play Drr Drr Von Bendaroo, just the guy who figures out how to fix him...

...If all goes well.

Fallbot
2010-04-23, 06:10 AM
I found it creepy as hell, and I've been trying to think of ways to make it work in a game, but have had trouble. I've thought of maybe including it as a story told to the PCs just to build atmosphere, but I like Mikeavelli's idea.

KurtKatze
2010-04-23, 06:26 AM
This screams call of cthulhu...

characters are the researchers, people go missing in the holes including a family member, frinend or person otherwise emotionally attached to one of the PC's. In due time they discover the other holes, mb one gets in but usually CoC chars tend to be paranoid.

Let what ever emerges from the holes be a thread to mankind and invent your own history for that things don't forget to include some old race or even great old one. Tada, Cthulhu plot, could make a fun and interesting adventure.

In DnD... i doubt it. It kinda doesn't fit the fantasy style of a DnD game imo I wouldn't want to play something like this as a pc.

UglyPanda
2010-04-23, 07:32 AM
I personally thought the story was really boring. I've read some of Junji Ito's other stuff and a GM would be better off taking inspiration from Spiral or Tomie, maybe even Gyo if they buy a fish before the session.

It doesn't seem like a good concept for any sort of interactive anything.

DM: Over there are some human-shaped outlines. Your character wants to walk into one.
Player: No.
DM: Make a roll to resist then.
Player: 37.
DM: Ok, you pass, let's move on.

Maybe somebody else could find something to do with it, but there is no conflict with Amigara Fault. It's just the GM trying to convince you to take some schmuck bait for a session. It's impossible to rescue or retrieve anything stuck in the holes (without a jackhammer or something, which the story is too short for them to consider doing) and if a PC goes into a hole, they can't do anything for a week in-game.

Now that I think about it, you could just have a standard "NPCs mysteriously disappear in location X in town Y" and have the same effect.