PDA

View Full Version : Crazy things your players have done

WarKitty
2010-04-22, 09:20 PM
Yeah, the thread pretty much says it all. I'm not looking for the obnoxious - I'm looking for the quirky, or even the smart but totally unexpected.

A few of my own:
I have a couple of characters that like to make completely random checks. Like, the party mage and rouge are trying to decide whether it's worth uncursing a bracelet to sell it. One of the barbarians comes over and attempts to JUMP OVER the bracelet. This is a recurring pattern - the player randomly decides to jump in situations where it makes no sense. The other one tries to intimidate random things, like a poison gas trap.

Can you tell we don't have the most serious group?

waterpenguin43
2010-04-22, 09:23 PM
Yeah, the thread pretty much says it all. I'm not looking for the obnoxious - I'm looking for the quirky, or even the smart but totally unexpected.

A few of my own:
I have a couple of characters that like to make completely random checks. Like, the party mage and rouge are trying to decide whether it's worth uncursing a bracelet to sell it. One of the barbarians comes over and attempts to JUMP OVER the bracelet. This is a recurring pattern - the player randomly decides to jump in situations where it makes no sense. The other one tries to intimidate random things, like a poison gas trap.

Can you tell we don't have the most serious group?

.....Yeah.....
I don't either. When in doubt, roll jump and tumble checks (DC 15) to try and backflip.

Kaun
2010-04-22, 09:23 PM
I used to taste for traps when aproacing an unknown door.

WarKitty
2010-04-22, 09:28 PM
That same game I gave them a goblet that turns any liquid into beer. Big mistake. They figured out that beer+torch is a pretty good combo.

holywhippet
2010-04-22, 09:29 PM
One my DM told me about in another D&D campaign he ran. One of the players, for some reason, became convinced that a chasm the group had come across was an illusion. He tried all sorts of tricks to disbelieve it before deciding to prove it once and for all by jumping into it. Level 2 rogue meet about 10d10 worth of damage.

In a Dark Heresy campaign the player controlling a scum pondered for about half a minute before deciding his character wouldn't really know that hitting the filled containers in a room smelling of promethium (there was a daemon in the room) with gunfire would be a bad idea instead of ducking back into the hallway like the techpriest (who'd won initiative) had instructed him to do.

krossbow
2010-04-22, 09:32 PM
My players came across a tower inside of an anti-magic field, with the implication via clues in the dimension/dungeon/area that important objects of some type might be in the top floor (no stairs).

The party mage used flight and telekinesis from outside the antimagic field to throw the party meatshield at the roof of the tower, from hundreds of feet above it.

Magic Myrmidon
2010-04-22, 09:35 PM
... My first character hopped onto tables and did a dance (Macarena... salsa... whatever) whenever he could.

Sad thing? Negative charisma, no ranks dance. >.>

My second character requested that every person he met "Showed him their moves." This resulted in many times in which he was beat up.

senrath
2010-04-22, 09:41 PM
That same game I gave them a goblet that turns any liquid into beer. Big mistake. They figured out that beer+torch is a pretty good combo.

Eh, beer really isn't that flammable.

Anyway, in a mixed nWoD game I was in (there was at least one character from each type), the group clown decided to use his ability to meld with dirt and stone to act like a land shark while the other vampire tried to stop him.

Lin Bayaseda
I had a Druid PC who would always roll his Handle Animal skill to make his Animal Companion perfrom all sorts of mundane tasks like "come with me" or "stay here". The thing is, it's only DC 10, he had lots of ranks in Handle Animal, and Druids get +4 to control their Animal Companion anyway. He needed to roll a natural -5 to fail :smalltongue:

And he knew it. And yet, he kept rolling those checks. I guess he got a kick out of being able to control his AC so well.

MCerberus
I expected wacky hijinks when I gave my players a pair of rocket skates. I did not expect them to desperately try and and weaponize them by putting them on their fists.

I let them get away with it though when it came to "Holy Water Rocket Punch!" on some skeletons.

cupkeyk
2010-04-22, 09:54 PM
Eh, beer really isn't that flammable.

Uhh, beer isn't flammable period. Strong beer would be at 7% alcohol. The most alcohol I have had in beer, was twelve. For something to even combust, it should have at least 32%, even then it would probably fizzle out pretty quickly. Molotov cocktails are made from kerosene. A vodka molotov would work to a minimal extent with its 38-45% alcohol content. Beer? never.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-22, 09:55 PM
Uhh, beer isn't flammable period. Strong beer would be at 7% alcohol. The most alcohol I have had in beer, was twelve. For something to even combust, it should have at least 32%, even then it would probably fizzle out pretty quickly. Molotov cocktails are made from kerosene. A vodka molotov would work to a minimal extent with its 38-45% alcohol content. Beer? never.

Clearly you've never tried any dwarven beer.

krossbow
2010-04-22, 10:08 PM
Clearly you've never tried any dwarven beer.

Dwarven beer is More of a Strong Poison than a beverage :smalltongue:

Divide by Zero
2010-04-22, 10:29 PM
Speaking of alcoholic hijinks, I played in one campaign where the god of booze gave us a barrel of 300 proof alcohol as a quest reward. Nobody was willing to risk the Fort save to drink it, so eventually I ended up strapping it to my back as a suicide bomb against a tough boss fight.

Math_Mage
2010-04-22, 10:46 PM
Speaking of alcoholic hijinks, I played in one campaign where the god of booze gave us a barrel of 300 proof alcohol as a quest reward. Nobody was willing to risk the Fort save to drink it, so eventually I ended up strapping it to my back as a suicide bomb against a tough boss fight.

Only a god could make your drink 150% ethanol.

senrath
2010-04-22, 10:53 PM
Only a god could make your drink 150% ethanol.

I shudder to think of what that would do to anyone who decided to drink it.

MCerberus
2010-04-22, 10:54 PM
I shudder to think of what that would do to anyone who decided to drink it.

A singularity would be created and destroyed in an instant as an eldritch booze monster awakens to devour your consciousness... unless you're a dwarf. In that case you just pour another one and remark how you'd prefer something a little stronger.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-22, 10:58 PM
A singularity would be created and destroyed in an instant as an eldritch booze monster awakens to devour your consciousness... unless you're a dwarf. In that case you just pour another one and remark how you'd prefer something a little stronger.

No dwarves in the party, unfortunately. Or possibly fortunately.

Zellic Solis
2010-04-22, 11:00 PM
We overthrew the baron that was our 'quest giver' for the first eight levels or so. After we saved his barony he had another quest for us and we basically went 'oh no. No I don't think so. We saved the villages and the towns and your castle and your life. We're running things now. And we basically became the party in charge of the kingdom.

The quirky thing was the GM running with it though. We went all the way up to level 12 before I had to quit the game. Sigh... and my bard intelligence officer was so much fun too...

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-22, 11:06 PM
My SWSE group is fond of zany actions both IC and IRL. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5749118&postcount=1)

pinwiz
2010-04-22, 11:09 PM
In my group, we have a guy who thinks that any problem can be solved with a riot. The best part? He's usually right. That guy is down right Crazy Awesome.

I think we've had at least three riots in this campaign.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-04-22, 11:20 PM
Speaking of alcoholic hijinks....

I had a character once who was immune to poison and had an awesome bluff mod. His basic first two nights in any town would be spent in a seedy tavern, using bluff to fake getting really drunk, really fast the first night. Come in the second night and loudly challenge any/every-one to a drinking contest for cash. :smallbiggrin: Lots of money won. (And since I was a Halfdragon Stonechild no one so much as said "boo" to me about it :biggrin:)

Parvum
2010-04-22, 11:27 PM
Break open a barrel. Wine. Pour a barrel into a flask. Rats. Lots of rats. After the ravaging, we listened to the barrels. Maybe we were meant to ignore the squeaking one, but instead we lifted a barrel of cheap wine and used it to fill the rat's barrel and drown them to death. The only weird part is that the DM didn't see it coming (probably expected more fire).

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-22, 11:48 PM
In my group, we have a guy who thinks that any problem can be solved with a riot. The best part? He's usually right. That guy is down right Crazy Awesome.

I think we've had at least three riots in this campaign.

The PCs in my game include a diplomancer warlock and a bard. They just learned that they can cause pretty much any populace to riot.

obnoxious
sig

Il_Vec
2010-04-23, 12:15 AM
One of my characters, a lizardfolk barbarian, had an habit of throwing javelins to solve all of his problems. Trapped door? Javelin. Hostage situation? Javelin. Out of food? Javelin. Flying enemy? Javelin. Climb a mountain? Javelins.
Once he saw the queen getting killed in one forest while adventuring with the prince (said queen's eldest son).
After some mourning and upon returning to the castle, the queen was there, all alive, standing beside the king in his throne.
During a discussion of past events, it became "clear" to my Barbarian that the queen was obviously a devil and was controlling the king's mind.
So I said: "I throw a javelin at the queen." given that not-noble barbarians cannot be near the throne. Rolled initiative, won, draw javelin, roll attack.
One fumble later, I hit the King with the javelin, and he dropped into the negatives.
Five levels and much adventuring later, my lizardman was Sired (Is this the right term? English is not my main language) by the same king.

That lizard's mote was also "Better to die killin'. "
There was this time, at level 8, he was alone in a cave for some reason. Trying to find a way out, he follows a light to an exit on the side of the mountain. In front of the said exit is a Giant. I don't recall really what kind of Giant, but it had more than 30 ft. I think the Dm wanted me to go back inside and look for the rest of the party and then come back. My character in the other hand, said his mote, Better to Die Killin', aloud, then yelled "DEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAATHHHHHHHH!", entered frenzy and rage, and Leaped at the giant. With his Greataxe. And Rolled 20. The giant didn't die on the first hit, but the next full atack finished the job.

Ops, sorry for that wall of text.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-23, 05:11 AM
Five levels and much adventuring later, my lizardman was Sired (Is this the right term? English is not my main language) by the same king.

The term is "knighted".

"To sire" means "to become the father".

Which makes for an interesting read. :smallbiggrin:

obnoxious
sig

Fallbot
2010-04-23, 05:26 AM
One of my characters, a lizardfolk barbarian, had an habit of throwing javelins to solve all of his problems. Trapped door? Javelin. Hostage situation? Javelin. Out of food? Javelin. Flying enemy? Javelin. Climb a mountain? Javelins.

Our cleric does pretty much the same thing, but with food. Culminated in her attempting to save the rogue, who had been knocked off a cliff to her death, by dropping a handful of jerky down after her.

Lord Loss
2010-04-23, 05:28 AM
My players were playing a modified version of the 3.5 Ravenloft Expedition. Now, in the past, my players had acquired a few barrels filled with a high-alchohol substance. Later on they were in the streets, surrounded by zombies - they were getting wrecked - to kill the zombies, they entered a building, climbed a roof, baited the zombies into the house, then burned it down with 3 barrels of aclchohol, killing most of the zombies. Finally, the half dragon flew above the remaining undead and dropped the last remaining barrel on the zombies. Cue breath weapon.

It was awesome. :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2010-04-23, 05:30 AM
They took apart a bluespawn godslayer's corpse and used it as trebuchet ammunition. :smalleek:

Also, they once used a blackscale lizardfolk's corpse as a boat. Seriously. They love using dead bodies.

Shademan
2010-04-23, 05:36 AM
animating a small army of dead seals...

Delta
2010-04-23, 05:38 AM
In a Dark Heresy campaign the player controlling a scum pondered for about half a minute before deciding his character wouldn't really know that hitting the filled containers in a room smelling of promethium (there was a daemon in the room) with gunfire would be a bad idea instead of ducking back into the hallway like the techpriest (who'd won initiative) had instructed him to do.

This didn't happen to be Shattered Hope, the introductory adventure that comes with the quick start rules? I have to admit I've found it hilarous, the first quick start adventure I ever saw with an instant-TPK-button (so would it be more appropriate to call it a "quick end" adventure?) in one of the encounters, but then, it is 40K, after all... :smallbiggrin:

hewhosaysfish
2010-04-23, 06:00 AM
animating a small army of dead seals...

Dead baby seals? Armed with clubs?

Triaxx
2010-04-23, 07:16 AM
While DMing, I saw one of my players single-handedly defeat an iron golem. The adamantine golem that arrived next in the group managed to sunder his weapon.

Naturally his response was to rip the arms off the iron golem and dual-wield them as improvised weapons.

Nodwick22
2010-04-23, 09:05 AM
In one campgain i played a human monk who loved to use his spiderwalk shoes in combat. Hanging upside down fighting driders and what not. This worked until the gnome barbarian decided to get on the other side of the drider...in a 5ft hallway...by jumping between us....he failed and impaled my on his viking helmet...

Vortling
2010-04-23, 10:20 AM
My players' and friends hijinks are entirely detailed on my blog (http://looneydm.blogspot.com/). One notable occurrence was the time a player of mine decided to grapple a gelatinous cube. He won.

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-23, 11:14 AM
My players have some odd tendencies.

One of them, for instance, keeps trying to bribe his way out of fights with beef jerky.

Probably one of my favorite recent ones involved the Hobgoblin Monk (trying to work his way into Drunken Master) and the Halfling Rogue (who was trying to join the town's Thieves Guild). The Monk was tossing back shots in the fancy tavern, which was actually a front for the Guild. When the Rogue went to join in secret, they told him he'd have to pick the pockets of one of the bar's patrons, and later replace the money without being seen. They picked the Monk. :smallamused:

The Rogue decides to challenge him to a drinking contest. The bartender gives them both a number of little red bottles, each not bigger than a shot glass. It's basically the twisted offspring of hot sauce and rotgut, and the two both start chugging away. After four bottles, the Monk is looking miserable, but the Rogue's only just broken a sweat. However, after another two bottles, the Rogue passes out.

The Monk ends up winning, not noticing the handful of coins missing from his pouch.

Before the contest, see, the Rogue had bribed the bartender to give the Rogue bottles of ordinary water. :smallamused:

subject42
2010-04-23, 11:35 AM
Also, they once used a blackscale lizardfolk's corpse as a boat. Seriously. They love using dead bodies.

My players are still carrying around an ex party member's empty skin in a garment bag.

I don't even know where they got the garment bag.

Last Laugh
2010-04-23, 12:04 PM
Our party barbarian was once polymorphed into a squirrel by an angry mage.

After the tricky encounter (we lost 3 people, not counting the barbarian) we were adrift at sea and start getting circled by a dire shark!

Naturally the squirrel with the brain of a half-orc barbarian proceeds to grapple the dire shark.
If it weren't for the rule of cool we would have lost a brave squirrel that day.

Angry Bob
2010-04-23, 12:18 PM
We had one guy who some some kind of munchkin. He acted like a munchkin, but optimized for weird, weird stuff. His Arcane Hierophant with an affinity for sonic spells carried around a bag of holding filled with energy substituted pebbles with "continual hum" on them. He had a couple hundred or so of them, so whenever he opened the bag, there was this unholy buzzing and moaning. The DM eventually decided that dropping them all into a combat zone had a chance to randomly empower sonic spells cast in the area.

He built his character around a single other combo: an attack where he would jump at a wall, phase through it, propel himself at the enemy on the other side, and deal a bunch of damage with a melee attack. I never was able to get him to explain how it worked, but he only got to do it once before the campaign ended.

Escheton
2010-04-23, 12:19 PM
first campaign I dm'ed.
group is about lvl 4, started at lvl 1
they dont even really have any magic items.
they fight a hydra in a cave
by keeping a low profile, both in game and out the sorcerer manages to burn off and singe shut almost all but 1 or 2 heads with 1 well placed agenazarr's(?) scorcher. The barb chops off the remaining and the rest apply torches to the stumps...
He just picked up the spell and I actually didn't expect that...

Fawsto
2010-04-23, 12:39 PM
Same Campaign Il Vec talked about:

My character a Human Cleric of Thor was walking around a mountain searching for the referred Lizardfolk Barbarian because he went missing (later found dead and then rezed).

Couple of minutes walking trough a snow covered field and *ZAM* Magic Missile voley right in the chest. I went "What the ...!?!?" *ZAM* Scorching Ray on face. Mo fo Hobgoblin Warmage started firing at me. I decide to answer in kind with a well placed Call Lighting. That almost started an Avalanche. Luckly it didnt. Later I used Vigor and after that went beaten to unconciousness.

I wake up and the Hobo is looting me: taking my 2 bottles of oil and a few flasks of Alchemist's fire. I roll away and zap him again with one more lighting. Oil does *CABROOOM*. Hobo Dead. Almost avalanche once again.

Also being in the same party as the referred Lizardfolk Barbarian was, sort of, a crazy move. He is a frenzied berserker with lots of strenght and leap attack. He could one shot almost everyone in the party. Not good. Very, very funny, but not good.

Nidogg
2010-04-23, 01:31 PM
defending a library from seige. Because they didnt like the entrance costs. And so they got mobbed. Or would have. If the Minotaur palidin had not KILLED EVERYTHING with Enlarged reach and combat reflexes.

Jyokage
2010-04-23, 02:13 PM
In my current campaign, the party wizard had a crowning moment of awesome. The scenario is this.
Party enters a room filled with orcs, and the mage does not have access to his big spells, so he casts that everburning torch spell on a rock, (I never play mages so ugh, yeah no clue what the spell was) Screams fireball in Orcish and chucks it at the cluster of enemy orcs. The result? All the orcs roll a nat one on sense motive and dive for cover, and the other three melee party members swoop in and proceed to kill the mostly prone orcs through sneak attacks and aoo's as the try to stand up, after the obligatory surprise round.

Dust
2010-04-23, 02:18 PM
A Scion game, at Demigod level, the Technology/ Epic Intelligence character used his supernatural abilities at MULTITASKING and CODEBREAKING to have the global missile defense system as his personal 'bodyguard'.
He revealed this to the Big Bad, who was a Roman general, by suggesting not to "bring a sword to a ICBM-fight."

Azernak0
2010-04-23, 02:34 PM
Naturally his response was to rip the arms off the iron golem and dual-wield them as improvised weapons.

Improved Disarm can come in handy sometimes.

druid91
2010-04-23, 05:22 PM
While DMing, I saw one of my players single-handedly defeat an iron golem. The adamantine golem that arrived next in the group managed to sunder his weapon.

That's just awesome.

One time the group I was in had to "Infiltrate" the kings intelligence office. me (a druid) and the warmage basically took on the whole garrison by ourselves while the other half of the party went in to get what we needed, the funny thing was that the warmage, after incinerating the front guards and the commander proceeded to stroll across their ashes humming "I'm walking on sunshine." and then burned "we were here" onto the wall.

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-23, 05:25 PM
Just remembered another one.

Back when I'd first started DMing, one of my players was overly-obsessed with lycanthropy and the thought of contracting it as a player character, to the extent that when the party fought an animated skeletal wolf, well...

Player: "So, I use my move action to approach the wolf, and then I let it bite me."

Escheton
2010-04-23, 08:53 PM
is killing a cr 5 cleric and fighter with lvl 5 loot as a lvl 1 and a half (2 where lvl 2 rest still lvl 1) with starterloot because they resisted arrest crazy?

Roderick_BR
2010-04-24, 12:16 AM
And they lost the chance to toss it into a lake? Or the ocean?

One of my players had a jumping dwarven monk that attacked by headbutts. Yeah, like that guy from He-Man.

Other used up a wish to gain an inteligent, talking elephant. I think not even he knows why he did that.

I could mention a thief that wanted to check fallen enemie's pockets while the group was STILL in battle, but I think a lot of rogues do it.

absolmorph
2010-04-24, 01:02 AM
A Scion game, at Demigod level, the Technology/ Epic Intelligence character used his supernatural abilities at MULTITASKING and CODEBREAKING to have the global missile defense system as his personal 'bodyguard'.
He revealed this to the Big Bad, who was a Roman general, by suggesting not to "bring a sword to a ICBM-fight."
Holy. Crap.
That's the best variant of "don't bring a sword to a gun fight/gun to a sword fight/knife to a fist fight" I've ever heard.

BloodyAngel
2010-04-24, 08:21 AM
My fiance once used animate dead on several freshly killed chickens and ordered the resulting animate fowl to clean and pluck themselves, then to cook themselves in our oven. The best part was adding the line "now, baste each other every few minutes and remember to cook evenly."

The hilarity of chicken corpses cooking themselves was enough that the DM let him do it even though it was silly and probably impossible. We then ate said cooked undead chicken, which the DM made a point of mentioning was still technically animated and moved as we were cutting bits off it. We have... a dark sense of humor. In the character's defense, he was a tiefling sorcerer and a bit harder to creep out than most. He didn't understand why the rest of the group was so unnerved. :smallamused:

bartman
2010-04-24, 12:46 PM
Not a game I was DMing, but playing in. Cannot remember the level(under 10 i believe), but we were fighting a 4 or 6 headed hydra. none of us are optimizers. Our party cleric happened to have a high intimidate skill, and had cast sanctuary on himself. he then proceeded to hide himself under our wagon, and taunt the hydra. he would never attack, so he kept the invulnerability, and the hydra kept failing his check, and kept trying to attack the cleric. Our DM made him pay for that afterwards (they were brothers, and the cleric totally caught the DM off guard.)

another campaign, level 16, a castle appears mysteriously in the town we are in. We decide to check it out, and manage to walk through the walls (illusion) and get plane shifted to a demi-plane. we do some combat there, and end up finding out from escaped prisoner/refugees that the castle appears then an army of demons walks through the door (door is real) and basically take the town into custody, to use as sacrifices. we get freaked all to hell and get outta there, plane shifting and teleporting back to our island, to find the caslt door still unopened. we immediately set up a defensive position, and turtle/wait the army out. to keep busy, our cleric (unofficial party leader) decides to get a crapload of clerics together and create a holy water pool in front of the door. after some math, we determine it is going to take too long to create the water, so they add in acid, and oil, then ignite it. we now have a FLAMING POOL OF HOLY ACID in front of the door....

we still joke about that one.

Fallbot
2010-04-24, 02:08 PM
Not a game I was DMing, but I once saw a fighter, armed with nothing but a curtain rod, take on an entire mage guild. And win. It was a very low magic system, But it was still ridiculously awesome.

Trace284
2010-04-30, 02:28 PM
Even though it wasn't something WE did, all three party members were at negative health in the middle of a boss fight, when the unarmed, level one aristocrat we were supposed to be rescuing rolled a triple critical and killed the boss with her BARE HANDS. :smalleek:

Mystic Muse
2010-04-30, 02:54 PM
One of my players (who's a hobgoblin) was going to hit on Tiamat. Yes, that Tiamat.

TheThan
2010-04-30, 03:07 PM
We had the party druid sit on a boss and the rest of us kicked him to death.

Seriously, we were thrown up against a custom monster (some kind of lizardfolk king) that we had no idea how to defeat. I threw a spell at him and he “countered” it, apparently it was some kind of spell resistance (though I didn’t get to roll to see if I could penetrate it), so I used a spell that ignored SR, and he still “countered” it. He was inducing huge negatives to our warrior (the druid above) so he couldn’t keep hitting him in combat. So we couldn’t cast at it, and we couldn’t keep fighting him because he could hit any of us easily and hurt pretty bad. Once the druid got healed the negatives went away.

So we came up with a plan, the enlarged, shapeshifted druid (shapeshift variant) grappled him, knocking him over, and then he sat on him (throwing punches) while the rest of us basically just poked him to death with weapons.

Turns out, the DM gave the boss “charges” that he could use to bestow negatives to anyone he hit, or counter spells with it. Apparently the strategy for beating this boss was to “burn out” his charges before hurting him. Naturally we had no way of knowing that, and couldn’t stand up in a fight long enough to figure it out, so we improvised. He was kind of annoyed that we used a different strategy than what he had planned to defeat his uber boss lizard king.

SilverStar
2010-04-30, 03:20 PM
I had a half- red dragon PC dive into a really, really big fire elemental to remove a crystalline object that not only was a pretty decent item, but it also powered up the elemental by a factor of three.

I figured, why not? He was immune to fire....

Nero24200
2010-04-30, 03:52 PM
A few players in one of my groups now beleives I'm now the embodiement of this trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillItWithFire).

To be fair, what situations I have used it seems fair - if the BBEG is locked up in a mansion laced with traps/minions but has no hostages and no buildings or wildlife nearby? It's pretty much a "no lose" situation if you buff the party, turn some trees into trents for extra backup, then set the place ablaze and let the BBEG roll into your trap for a change.

Naturally, I got some funny looks when I first said "Hey, I've got elemental form at this level!"

Edit: Oh, theres also the "Double-Door" syndrone. One game we were trapped inside a castle and trying to find the boss of the place. Each room had encounters, and given that the place was haunted and there was so many, we were lothe to rest in there.

So when we arrived in a room we would look around...we would usally see 2 or three doors, then a double-door. We kicked in the double doors and, sure enough, we managed to get through easily.

Since then whenever we are at an impass on which direction to go, we always(well...usally I ask) "Are any of the doors double-doors?"

To this day my current DM happily admits that he's going to start hiding large traps behind double-doors and the dungoen shortcuts behind the single doors - just because he knows I'll bite the bait.

keroro623
2010-04-30, 05:55 PM
Ugh, were too start
once a fellow party member launched me(a gnome bard) and every halfling in the city out of a cannon to combat an orc horde. I was a tinker gnome so it opened up cybernetic options.
One time a fairy rouge glued an immovable rod to a dragon's eyeball. I was the DM for this one and I had to think of the penalty for halving your eye/face glued to one place

Doc Roc
2010-04-30, 06:36 PM
Fuel-air bombed a medieval city within minutes of the game starting, in a desperate effort to try and skip the awkward introductory phase of the game.

Asheram
2010-04-30, 07:33 PM
My fiance once used animate dead on several freshly killed chickens and ordered the resulting animate fowl to clean and pluck themselves, then to cook themselves in our oven. The best part was adding the line "now, baste each other every few minutes and remember to cook evenly."

The hilarity of chicken corpses cooking themselves was enough that the DM let him do it even though it was silly and probably impossible. We then ate said cooked undead chicken, which the DM made a point of mentioning was still technically animated and moved as we were cutting bits off it. We have... a dark sense of humor. In the character's defense, he was a tiefling sorcerer and a bit harder to creep out than most. He didn't understand why the rest of the group was so unnerved. :smallamused:

I, as a chef in training, approves of this way of cooking!

Darius Rae
2010-04-30, 07:38 PM
One time I tried to convince my DM to let my cleric be able to cast one of the Bigby's spells to high-five the lawful good god in the campaign. To be fair, the god had a mechanical hand.

In the same campaign, we were in a cave near a hole that was very deep. There was a chain hanging above the middle of the hole and our dwarven ranger decided to jump and grab the chain... he rolled a one and fell to his death. My cleric suggested using raise undead on the dwarf because nobody had the encumbrance to carry him. Needless to say, the dwarf's player did not agree.

In the same campaign (really lots of crazy stuff happened) my character was following a noble who was currently getting lunch at a place near the docks. During this, the rest of the party was searching the docks for evidence of the nobles corruption. They found a warehouse were some durigar were preparing explosives. The wizard won initiative and cast fireball... My character saw the explosion and dropped his tea. :smallfrown:

Slavaa
2010-04-30, 07:54 PM
My brother's gnome druid loves daggers. Loves loves loves daggers.

The "friendly wizard" that our party once met (kind of like a Gandalf figure) once traded the druid a +2 dagger for four +1 daggers.

Yeah, he had four +1 daggers just lying around.

Our paladin once contemplated letting another paladin die so that he could take her weapon. As soon as the DM said "You suddenly start to feel more like a fighter with no bonus feats" he leaped into action, however.

My halfling sorcerer/rogue had a "black sponge thing" that I carried around from our first adventure all the way 'til level 7. It was supposed to be used to disarm an electrically charged lock, but we just taught the mage how to pick locks and had him use mage hand. I used the sponge for a lot of things, including a heat shield and an emergency raft.

But my favourite is when I got a friend of mine to play. He didn't get really into the D&D mindset quickly (he was a heavy video gamer) but I knew he'd fit in when he made the connection that a chicken is a few copper and he has several gold.

Yeah. He bought 120 chickens.