PDA

View Full Version : [4e] A perfect Circle

Kaun
2010-04-22, 11:44 PM
The Ritual -Create Teleportation Circle- from MoP.

Does the spent healing surge to sustain the circle need to come from the caster or can it be supplied from any willing (or possibly unwilling)target?

Just wondering if their has been any ruling or errata i have missed with regards.

As i read it sounds like it must come from the orriginal caster.

Mando Knight
2010-04-23, 12:29 AM
It comes from a participant in the ritual. The primary caster needn't be the only participant, and in fact a chain of trained casters aiding the leader improves the outcome of most rituals. And since there isn't a backlash penalty for failing an Aid Another check, a fighter can help, mess up the check to boost the main caster's check, but then still provide the healing surge to power the ritual.

Swordgleam
2010-04-23, 08:12 AM
I think the only rituals you can power with a healing surge from someone who isn't actively participating are in Azagar's Book of Rituals. There's a couple evil ones in there that let you sacrifice people. Aside from that, willing only.

Yakk
2010-04-23, 08:53 AM
The rule of cool indicates that you can do "dark magic" with bound and helpless sacrifices, if that floats your boat.

Just make sure that the victim is sufficiently buff for the ritual in question (no sacrificing peasants to fuel a level 21 ritual, for example), and that you have to reduce the victim to helplessness first, and that it is fatal to the victim...

Kaun
2010-04-23, 08:56 AM
What if i get A LOT of pesants?

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-23, 08:57 AM
You should totally be able to sacrifice peasants to fuel level 21 rituals, as long as they're a dramatically appropriate victim.

So, a virgin, for instance...

Alternatively, lots of peasants.

Swordgleam
2010-04-23, 11:39 AM
Well, what's the component cost of the ritual? What would the peasant's value as a slave / average annual income be? Now you know how many of them you need.

kieza
2010-04-23, 02:45 PM
I had someone ask about a similar thing once, so I came up with a ritual that fuels rituals:

Drain Soul
Level: 6
Category: Creation
Time: 1 hour
Duration: Instantaneous
Component Cost: None (1000gp focus)
Market Price: Not commonly sold.
Key Skill: Arcana

You extract the soul of a Natural creature who must remain helpless for the duration of the ritual, storing it in a receptacle (typically a crystal orb) which is the focus for the ritual. The soul can be used for the following purposes:

Reagents: The soul is equivalent to an quantity of reagents (for Arcana-based rituals only) equal in value to a magic item of the creature's level - 5. A magic item created using a soul (or multiple souls) is very obvious when inspected.
Healing Surges: The soul can be used to provide up to four healing surges for rituals of up to the creature's level.

The use of this ritual is widely considered abominable, and commonly, even knowing the ritual or having it in a spellbook is judged equivalent to using it. Most religious orders will track down and kill someone known to use it without hesitation.

Translation of that last paragraph: be careful with using this ritual. Paladins will come for you.

Aron Times
2010-04-23, 03:05 PM
Translation of that last paragraph: be careful with using this ritual. Evil Paladins will come for you to help them with various rituals.

Fixed. :smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2010-04-23, 03:07 PM
Fixed. :smallcool:

Translation of that last paragraph: be careful with using this ritual. Evil Paladins will come for you to kill you, take your ritual book, and learn the ritual themselves.

Double fixed.:smallcool:

BobTheDog
2010-04-23, 03:16 PM
Translation of that last paragraph: be careful with using this ritual. Paladins will come for you.

Bah, paladins. What will they do? Mark me to death? :smalltongue:

Now, if you had threatened me with avengers...

Reynard
2010-04-23, 03:19 PM
What will they do? 1[w]+Wis?

BobTheDog
2010-04-23, 03:48 PM
What will they do? 1[w]+Wis?

Yes, a very accurate 1[W]+Wis. :smallbiggrin:

MCerberus
2010-04-23, 03:55 PM
Yah, but you know those minions of Vecna... get something shiny and evil enough and they'll throw every Paladin and Laser Cleric in the plane at you.