PDA

View Full Version : Half-Breed Pirate Build <3.5>

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-23, 07:47 AM
I have a new campaign that starts up in a couple of weeks. Here's my idea:

Race: Half-Vistani Half-Elf (Mother was the Elf, father was the Vistani)
Class: Swashbuckler 7/Rogue 2/Dread Pirate 10/Duelist 1

any suggestions on feats. I already know of Daring Outlaw

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-23, 11:16 AM
Anybody????

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-23, 11:20 AM
Can't say I know what a Vistani is (Can you give us any part of it's stats, so we can get a general idea? It often helps with obscure races.), but both Dread Pirate and Duelist are incredibly underpowered. I also believe you can't go Daring Outlaw with 2d6 Sneak Attack, meaning you need Rogue 3 rather than Rogue 2.

What is your goal with the character/build? I can probably suggest a better course of action once I know your intent.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-23, 11:28 AM
Can't say I know what a Vistani is (Can you give us any part of it's stats, so we can get a general idea? It often helps with obscure races.), but both Dread Pirate and Duelist are incredibly underpowered. I also believe you can't go Daring Outlaw with 2d6 Sneak Attack, meaning you need Rogue 3 rather than Rogue 2.

What is your goal with the character/build? I can probably suggest a better course of action once I know your intent.

For Daring Outlaw, I'm taking the Sneak Attack Feat from UA during my Swashbuckler, along with the rest of that tree, so I do qualify

Half-Vistani are a race of Gypsies that have the following:

• +2 Wis
• -2 Char
• +2 to One Ability Score: Half-Vistani characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.

• Not of the Blood For all special abilities and effects, Half-Vistani are considered Human. They receive none of the racial traits of humans.

• Base Outcast Rating 2. This may be reduced by 2 with a DC 15 Disguise check

• Medium Half-Vistani are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

• Survivor (ex):
+2 Racial bonus on Survival checks.
Half-Vistani may re-roll any attempt to light a fire (in any weather conditions) or rolls not to become lost while in the mist. They may pick the best of the two rolls.

• Moon Madness (su)
During the period of the full moon each month, the half-vistani suffers a -2 morale penalty on Wisdom. During this period if the half vistani is indoors they are shaken and when outdoors gain a +5ft morale bonus on their base speed.

Choose one tribe where your Vistani parent originated and apply the below traits to your character.

Canjar Tribe
• +2 Racial bonus on Spellcraft checks.
• +4 Racial bonus on learning a new spell.

Corvara Tribe
• +2 Racial bonus on Disable Device checks.
• +2 Racial bonus on Sense Motive checks.

Equaar Tribe
• +2 Racial bonus on Handle Animal checks.
• +2 Racial bonus on Ride checks.

Kamii Tribe
• +2 Racial bonus on metal-based Crafts checks.
• Appraise check to identify a metal in detail.

Naiat Tribe
• +2 Racial bonus on Perform and Diplomacy checks.

Vatraska Tribe
• +2 Racial bonus on Heal checks.
• +2 Racial bonus on Profession (herbalist) checks.

Zarovan Tribe
• +2 Racial bonus on Ride checks.
• You may re-roll your Intiative checks, but must take the second result.

Languages Half-Vistani begin play speaking the language of the domain they where born in. If the Half-Vistani was raised amongst the Vistani they will also have learned Patterna. Half-Vistani with high Intelligence scores can choose to learn domain languages of domains they have had contact with.

and my goal is kinda like a Barbossa/Dread Pirate Roberts/Man With No Name type

Pluto
2010-04-23, 11:28 AM
edit:
Okay. Dread Pirate Roberts-type...

Those PrC's are grim. Little to no payoff for too many levels.

Instead, you might want to check out the Scarlet Corsair (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050805b) from Stormwrack. It's like Duelist and Dread Pirate wrapped into a single [competent] class, specializing in feinting and demoralization.

regarding feats:

Surprising Riposte from Drow of the Underdark lets you feint to catch opponents off guard for a full round.

Staggering Strike from CAdv is fantastic for limiting your targets' options in melee.

Combat Panache from the PHB2 gives some useful defensive options to this style of character.

At low levels, Intimidating Strike (PHB2) can be very potent, but between the Scarlet Corsair's Swift and Mass Intimidates and the option of itinerative attacks, it should probably be retrained after a few levels.

If you like throwing a whole lot of damage dice, you might also want to head a little ways down the TWF line.

Because somebody is going to recommend it, I'll just say that I'd avoid Craven. Heroes Feast makes Fear Immunity easy and fear immunity is pretty key in keeping with the archetype.