PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Swordmage blade implements and other classes

ninja_penguin
2010-04-23, 10:50 AM
So, I've got a player who is playing an Avenger, and wanted to multi-class. He was looking at swordmage, and when it said 'you can use swordmage implements' under the multi-class text, he was wondering if that meant that meant he could use his Avengers weapon in place of his holy symbol for use with implement powers. My initial reaction is that he'd still need his holy symbol for Avenger implement powers, but he could use his sword for swordmage powers. I don't own the Forgotten Realms Player's guide, so I'm a little bit at a loss for being able to double check the text for something specific (i.e. you may use blades for arcane powers/swordmage powers only)

Grynning
2010-04-23, 10:58 AM
Yeah, it doesn't change the implements for your base class by RAW. And there's no "divine implement proficiency" feat to let him use something other than a holy symbol either, as far as I know.

However, you're the DM, and honestly, it wouldn't affect the power of the character at all if you let him use his sword as an implement if he takes the feat. Really, it just means one less piece of treasure you have to hand out to help his character keep up. Combo weapon/implement classes like the Avenger and the Paladin have always suffered from that (which is probably the motivation behind the creation of Ki Foci, which you just need to have on you but can use the enhancement bonus on your weapon attacks).

ninja_penguin
2010-04-23, 11:04 AM
All right, thanks. I wasn't sure if that would change things up or not. I was kinda leaning toward it, but figured I'd pitch it at others.

kieza
2010-04-23, 02:35 PM
Don't you just have to have a holy symbol on you to benefit from it? I think I read somewhere that you can just have it around your neck, in the same hand as a light shield, etc.

Blackfang108
2010-04-23, 02:45 PM
Don't you just have to have a holy symbol on you to benefit from it? I think I read somewhere that you can just have it around your neck, in the same hand as a light shield, etc.

Quite, but you still have to pay for it, either as part of a treasure parcel or in actual gold.

BobTheDog
2010-04-23, 02:57 PM
Or you could just toss a Fullblade of Oaths Fulfilled or Vigilant Fullblade at him... :smallbiggrin:

Burley
2010-04-23, 03:04 PM
I've always thought that the implement proficiency feats were somewhat silly. If you take the multi-class feat, the proficiency should be included, but it isn't always.
Just my opinion.

rayne_dragon
2010-04-23, 06:55 PM
I've always thought that the implement proficiency feats were somewhat silly. If you take the multi-class feat, the proficiency should be included, but it isn't always.
Just my opinion.

My impression from the errata is that they're trying to fix it to be like that.