PDA

View Full Version : The Crystal Hunter(3.5)(PEACH)

PersonMan
2010-04-23, 04:13 PM
Crystal Hunter
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Crystal Blade, Channel Energy

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Smite the Unfaithful 1/day, Track, Well-Crafted Crystal

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Crystal Blade Bonus +1

4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Dual-Blades, Ranged Crystals

5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Crystal Skin +1

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Crystal Blade Bonus +2, Smite the Unfaithful 2/day

7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Fast Materialization

8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Crystal Skin +2, Crystal Curse

9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Crystal Blade Bonus +3

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Crystal Body 5, Crystal Shield, Smite the Unfaithful 3/day

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|Crystal Skin +3

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|Crystal Blade Bonus +4

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+4|Crystal Body 10/5, Channel Energy Blast

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|Crystal Skin +4, Smite the Unfaithful 4/day

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+5|Crystal Blade Bonus +5

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Crystal Body 15/10/5

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Smite the Unfaithful 4/day, Crystal Skin +5

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Crystal Blade Bonus +6, Smite the Unfaithful 5/day

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Crystal Body 20/15/10/5

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Crystal Skin +6, Crystal Explosion

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d10

Class Skills:
Gather Information(Cha), Heal(Wis), Hide(Dex), Gather Information(Cha), Knowledge(Religion), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis),Tumble(Dex), Use Rope(Dex)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Crystal Hunters are proficient with all simple and light weapons, as well as medium and light armor.

Crystal Blade(Ex): As a move action a Crystal Hunter can materialize any weapon they are proficient in. This weapon disintegrates if it leaves the Crystal Hunter's hand for more than 1 round. For sundering purposes, Crystal Blades have 5 hit points for light weapons, 10 for one-handed weapons and 15 for two-handed weapons. A Crystal Blade has hardness equal to 5+Crystal Hunter level.

Channel Energy(Su): At first level, a Crystal hunter chooses an energy type. Their Crystal Blade does extra damage of that energy type equal to the amount on Table 1-2:Energy Damage by Level. At 5th and 9th level they choose a second and third energy type. Energy Channel damage can only be added to Crystal Blades, Ranged Crystals or weapons with the appropriate extra damage. So a flaming weapon could have fire channeled through it, but not sonic, for example.

Smite the Unfaithful(Su): A Crystal Hunter can empower their attacks with special energy that deals damage to those who do not worship the Crystalline One. This attack gains a bonus to attack and damage equal to the Crystal Hunter's level.

Track: A Crystal Hunter gains the Track feat as a bonus feat at second level.

Well-Crafted Crystal(Ex): At second level, a Crystal Hunter's Crystal Blade becomes more finely crafted, counting as masterwork and giving the wielding a +1 bonus to attack rolls, along with any other benefits of a masterwork weapon.

Crystal Blade Bonus(Su): At third level a Crystal Hunter's Crystal Blade becomes more powerful. A Crystal Hunter can apply special abilities or bonuses to the Crystal Blade equal to the number on the table. These bonuses are the total amount, for both weapons rather than individually. You can also apply special qualities to your Crystal Blade. Costing 1/2 of a bonus each, you can make your weapon count as a specific material(such as adamantine or cold iron).

Dual Blades(Ex): At fourth level a Crystal Hunter can materialize two weapons they are proficient with instead of just one. They take normal two-weapon fighting penalties for this. This takes two move actions, instead of one.

Ranged Crystals(Ex): At fourth level a Crystal Hunter can materialize small crystal blades that can be launched at enemies to deal 1d6+Wisdom modifier damage. At 8th level they deal 1d8+Wis modifier damage, and at 12th level they deal 1d10+Wis modifier damage. This has a range of 60' with no range increment, and is a standard action that can be done as many times as the user has attacks.

Crystal Skin(Ex): At 5th level, a Crystal Hunter's skin begins to toughen, giving them a natural armor bonus equal to the number on the table. This bonus stacks with bonuses gained from permanent magical or nonmagical sources, but not temporary ones.

Fast Materialization: At seventh level, a Crystal Hunter gains Fast Materialization as a bonus feat. If they already had the feat, they can choose another for which they qualify at that level.

Crystal Curse)(Su): At 8th level, A Crystal Hunter can use their ability to manifest weapons to create tiny, dagger-like crystals within the body of an enemy. This deals damage equal to 10+the Crystal Hunter's level+their Wisdom modifier. Targets are allowed a Fortitude save for 1/2 damage, the DC being 10+Crystal Hunter level+user's Wisdom modifier. This is a move action, the Curse has a range of 60' with no range increment.

Crystal Body(Ex): Starting at 10th level, a Crystal Hunter's body begins to grow resistant to the energies used against it. The Crystal Hunter chooses one energy type, and gains energy resistance against it. The amount is shown on the table. At 13th, 16th and 19th level they choose another energy type and gain resistance to it equal to the number behind the slash.

Crystal Shield(Ex): At 10th level, a Crystal Hunter can materialize a shield of crystal that grants them a shield bonus equal to 1/5 of their Crystal Hunter level+their Wisdom modifier. This shield is a special force effect that can be used while the Crystal Hunter is dual-wielding Crystal Blades or wielding a single one two-handed.

Channel Energy Blast(Su): At 13th level a Crystal Hunter can channel bursts of their chosen energy type. These bursts deal the listed primary and secondary damage of the energy type(secondary energy types deal secondary+tertiary, tertiary ones deal 2x tertiary) and have a range of 80' with no range increment.

Crystal Explosion(Ex): At 20th level, a Crystal Hunter can suddenly cover their body and equipment in crystal-like growths and send them flying outwards. All within 20 ft take 10d8 points of slashing damage and 10d8 points of bludgeoning damage, and count as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Those in the area of affect can make a Reflex save for half damage. The DC is equal to 10+1/2 the Crystal Hunter's Hit Dice+the Crystal Hunter's Constitution modifier. The Crystal Hunter and his gear is not affected by this. This can only be done once every 1d4+1 hours.
Table 1-2: Energy Damage by Level
{table=head]Level|Primary Energy Damage|Secondary Energy Damage|Tertiary Energy Damage
1st|
+1|
-|
-|
-

2nd|
+1|
-|
-|
-

3rd|
+1|
-|
-|
-

4th|
+1d4|
-|
-|
-

5th|
+1d4|
+1|
-|
-

6th|
+1d4|
+1|
-|
-

7th|
+1d4|
+1d4|
-|
-

8th|
+1d6|
+1d4|
-|
-

9th|
+1d6|
+1d4|
+1|
-

10th|
+1d6|
+1d4|
+1|
-

11th|
+1d6|
+1d6|
+1d4|
-

12th|
+1d8|
+1d6|
+1d4|
-

13th|
+1d8|
+1d6|
+1d4|
+1

14th|
+1d8|
+1d6|
+1d4|
+1

15th|
+1d8|
+1d8|
+1d6|
+1d4

16th|
+2d6|
+1d8|
+1d6|
+1d4

17th|
+2d6|
+1d8|
+1d6|
+1d4

18th|
+2d6|
+1d8|
+1d6|
+1d4

19th|
+2d6|
+2d6|
+1d8|
+1d6

20th|
+2d8|
+2d6|
+1d8|
+1d6[/table]

The Crystal Hunter is made to be a class for a specific race's hunters, who hunt down those who leave their cities or prominent members of opposing faiths. This is the reason for the Smite the Unfaithful ability.

Fast Materialization
You are able to materialize your Crystal Blades very quickly.
Benefit: You materialize your Crystal Blade as a swift action, and can materialize two Crystal Blades as a move action.
Normal: It takes a move action to materialize a crystal blade, and two move actions to materialize two.

demidracolich
2010-04-23, 04:20 PM
Since this is supposed to be a more melee class, shouldn't it have more than half BAB? Give it at least 3/4 BAB. Also, you have a bunch of dead levels.

Temotei
2010-04-23, 04:23 PM
Since this is supposed to be a more melee class, shouldn't it have more than half BAB? Give it at least 3/4 BAB. Also, you have a bunch of dead levels.

The smiting thing helps out with attack bonuses.

Never mind. I didn't see that it was limited by per-day uses. :smallsigh:

PersonMan
2010-04-23, 04:26 PM
Oops. I was making this using a Generator-thing to reduce the workload. Things like that become much less noticeable when using that.

Thanks. :smallredface:

I can't really think of anything to fill the 5 dead levels with. Any ideas?

Temotei
2010-04-23, 04:32 PM
Oops. I was making this using a Generator-thing to reduce the workload. Things like that become much less noticeable when using that.

Thanks. :smallredface:

I can't really think of anything to fill the 5 dead levels with. Any ideas?

You should get a cool capstone too. +1 natural armor isn't exactly spectacular at 20th level when you could instead take fighter for two levels and get two bonus feats or take two levels of rogue for multiple abilities.

PersonMan
2010-04-23, 04:35 PM
You should get a cool capstone too. +1 natural armor isn't exactly spectacular at 20th level when you could instead take fighter for two levels and get two bonus feats or take two levels of rogue for multiple abilities.

True.

I've added a new ability to fill 4 of the dead levels.

I'm thinking of transforming into a crystal being for a while? To go with the crystal theme. There. Any idea on how much damage this should do? Also, I'm thinking this could only be done once every few hours or so.

demidracolich
2010-04-23, 04:43 PM
Since you can't use this very often and it is at 20th level. It should deal quite a large amount of damage. At least 20d6 would be required.

PersonMan
2010-04-23, 04:46 PM
Since you can't use this very often and it is at 20th level. It should deal quite a large amount of damage. At least 20d6 would be required.

Alright. I'll make it 10d6 each.

jiriku
2010-04-23, 04:50 PM
Many thoughts in random order:

You need more class skills. Your base race has a +2 Int, so with a base Int of 14 before racial mod, you would getting more skill points per level than you have class skills to spend them on.
For that matter, you need more class skills.
For that matter, given that your base race is intended to have 3-10 racial HD plus a level adjustment, why is this a 20-level class? You stated

The Crystal Hunter is made to be a class for a specific race's hunters, who hunt down those who leave their cities or prominent members of opposing faiths.
This SCREAMS prestige class, especially since the base race can't possibly finish out a 20-level class pre-epic.
Overall, this class is very low on the power scale. Tier 5 at best. No means of harming a target without an attack roll until level 20, restricted to light weapons but not automatically able to use weapon finesse (especially since the base race has +Dex and -Str), and only one class feature grants options that give the player choices about how the character will affect the world around him (crystal blade bonus).
Why are you putting a medium base attack on a melee-oriented class intended for a race whose racial hit dice grant a full base attack?
Capstone: 1d8 per HD is not unreasonable, with a Reflex save for half of 10+1/2 HD+Con mod. You want to use hit dice rather than class levels because your entry race has racial hit dice.

PersonMan
2010-04-23, 04:53 PM
Many thoughts in random order:

You need more class skills. Your base race has a +2 Int, so with a base Int of 14 before racial mod, you would getting more skill points per level than you have class skills to spend them on.
For that matter, you need more class skills.
For that matter, given that your base race is intended to have 3-10 racial HD plus a level adjustment, why is this a 20-level class? You stated

This SCREAMS prestige class, especially since the base race can't possibly finish out a 20-level class pre-epic.
Overall, this class is very low on the power scale. Tier 5 at best. No means of harming a target without an attack roll until level 20, restricted to light weapons but not automatically able to use weapon finesse (especially since the base race has +Dex and -Str), and only one class feature grants options that give the player choices about how the character will affect the world around him (crystal blade bonus).
Why are you putting a medium base attack on a melee-oriented class intended for a race whose racial hit dice grant a full base attack?
Capstone: 1d8 per HD is not unreasonable, with a Reflex save for half of 10+1/2 HD+Con mod. You want to use hit dice rather than class levels because your entry race has racial hit dice.

Well, first off the race has been tweaked a bit. I'm posting the new version soon. Secondly, you're right about the BAB.

For the capstone, sure. I was just unsure about how much to do at first.

Done. Also, Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8361376#post8361376)

I'm thinking of making it a prestige class, if I do I'll post it separately. Being done. Posting soon. Done. Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8361514#post8361514)

PersonMan
2010-04-29, 08:13 PM
Gave them more class skills and added an ability for fourth level.

Temotei
2010-04-30, 12:10 AM
At 1st level, they're hardly better, if at all better, than a fighter. They can (Oh my!) manifest a weapon they are proficient in. Sure, it's free, but at least the fighter can get another option in combat (tactical feat, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Improved Feint). Your class gets a weapon.

There's also a large span of boring levels. You get static bonuses or increases in per-day abilities, and that's it. I'd love to see more class features to fill in that gap between unique abilities.

Gap: 5th - 19th

Unfaithful is spelled like I've spelled it.

Hit dice should also say "d10" instead of "1d10." Otherwise, you're saying they get one hit die. Done. No more, even if you go twenty levels in this class. Common mistake.

Skills should probably be listed in alphabetical order as well. It's just plain easier to use that way.

PersonMan
2010-04-30, 04:01 PM
Alright, I gave them another level 1 ability, added to another ability, and gave them a couple more improving abilities. I also changed their skills and HD. Look better now? I'm having a bit of trouble thinking of more abilities that fit with the flavor of the class, so if you think it still needs more I might need some brainstorming help.