PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Question about grappling and empty hands.

Gnomo
2010-04-23, 09:03 PM
I have looked around and cannot find anything on the rules about grappling and empty hands, can you start a grapple without an empty hand? can you pin without an empty hand? Is this logical by any means?

PersonMan
2010-04-23, 09:17 PM
I have looked around and cannot find anything on the rules about grappling and empty hands, can you start a grapple without an empty hand? can you pin without an empty hand? Is this logical by any means?

Yes. I see grappling more as slamming&wrapping around, rather than like wrestling.

demidracolich
2010-04-23, 09:20 PM
But about grappling, why would you ever actually use the grapple rulesÉ Do you know how long and complicated they are?

Eldariel
2010-04-23, 09:23 PM
But about grappling, why would you ever actually use the grapple rulesÉ Do you know how long and complicated they are?

Because you are a level 1 Fighter facing a guy whose AC you don't want to deal with, like an Azer.

AslanCross
2010-04-23, 10:02 PM

Actually, I don't think they're as bad as people make them out to be. All you have to do is write down the steps and the modifiers. We've mostly memorized them.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-23, 10:15 PM
Nothing prohibits unarmed strikes when hands are full.

An example of a grapple without hands could be a leg lock. I've seen several fights where a guy did a leg only takedown into a grapple.

FlamingKobold
2010-04-23, 10:53 PM
Because you are a level 1 Fighter facing a guy whose AC you don't want to deal with, like an Azer.

Yes... Hug the flaming dwarf thing...

Eldariel
2010-04-23, 10:54 PM
Yes... Hug the flaming dwarf thing...

Good part is, that's perfectly allowed; as long as it doesn't hit you, you can grapple it to death no problem. UA Strikes and Metallic Weapons deal extra fire damage but apparently the heat is limited to its hands or something 'cause Grappling it is no problem.

BobVosh
2010-04-23, 11:55 PM
Good part is, that's perfectly allowed; as long as it doesn't hit you, you can grapple it to death no problem. UA Strikes and Metallic Weapons deal extra fire damage but apparently the heat is limited to its hands or something 'cause Grappling it is no problem.

Wizards realized that even flaming dwarfs need hugs too.