PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Stick

Geiger Counter
2010-04-23, 09:38 PM
Is there a spell that make's the target incredibly ugly/beautiful? (3.5)
If not can someone make me one please? :smallsmile:

Thajocoth
2010-04-23, 09:43 PM
I saw stats for this, like, a year ago in the homebrew section.

Amiel
2010-04-23, 09:47 PM
There's apparently an Appearance ability score; the scale is not numerical, instead it progresses from ugly stick to ravishing; actually, there's probably an attached number, so comely is possibly 16 or thereabouts.

You could have the spell induce ugliness or beauty along those lines.

WildPyre
2010-04-23, 09:50 PM
The Book Of Erotic Fantasy has spells like that and a numerical appearance score, if you're willing to put up with the smut and are of age to view such adult material.

Overall I find it a bit humorous, and has it's uses, but it's not exceedingly well written.

MCerberus
2010-04-23, 09:55 PM
Disguise and Alter Self will function for this, if made into an X/day magic item.
There's also the Polymorph tree (using it to only change appearance is a really weak use of the spell)
Veil works on multiple targets.

Those are all from the PHB. There really isn't a mechanical ugly/pretty bonus to anything, so these would just apply to the disguise skill. For something a bit more mechanical: Eagle's Splendor (let's not discuss CHA = looks, let's just say it's a component) for a pretty boost and a Bestow Curse effect for ugly.

What are you intending to do with the change in looks?

PersonMan
2010-04-23, 09:56 PM
Inner Beauty. Good=+Cha, Evil=-Cha, Neutral=No effect.

Geiger Counter
2010-04-23, 10:08 PM
Disguise and Alter Self will function for this, if made into an X/day magic item.
There's also the Polymorph tree (using it to only change appearance is a really weak use of the spell)
Veil works on multiple targets.

I'm looking for a custom spell as it's a really specific/weak effect.
There really isn't rules for pain either but symbol of pain grants a -4 penalty to skills. I imagine here would be a bonus/penalty to cha because appearance tends to effect confidence but the effects of this spell are mostly circumstantial much like the use of the disguise skill.

While we're on this topic, the disguise skill seems poorly developed. A human trying to look like an elf is just as easy as one trying to look like a half dragon.

Ravens_cry
2010-04-23, 10:24 PM
Whatever you do do NOT use the first edition Unearthed Arcana comeliness system. Basically, it means 'Ugly=EVILS!'
Oh, those were more innocent days.:smallamused:

Escheton
2010-04-24, 09:18 AM
how about a modified curse spell?
-10 to diplomacy instead...

Vizzerdrix
2010-04-24, 09:29 AM
The Book of Erotic Fantasy has this. Basicly, just a drain ability spell for Attractiveness (a 7th ability they add in that book)

Godskook
2010-04-24, 09:41 AM
I saw stats for this, like, a year ago in the homebrew section.

Could've been one of my early homebrews (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110726). Not balanced or priced, but still, hilarious.

Captain Six
2010-04-24, 10:31 AM
The Book Of Erotic Fantasy has spells like that and a numerical appearance score, if you're willing to put up with the smut and are of age to view such adult material.

Overall I find it a bit humorous, and has it's uses, but it's not exceedingly well written.

I found the Book of Erotic Fantasy rather textbook when it came to talking about sex. It's not the center of attention in my groups but it is referenced whenever sex comes up in a game. I got it mostly for a definitive guide to "what can make babies with what" as well as pregnancy rates and durations.

An the topic of an Ugly Stick, Complete Mage has a "face stealer" invocation for warlocks. You disguise self as whoever you touch and they take massive cha penalties thanks to a lack of a face.

Sintanan
2010-04-24, 01:22 PM
Something I whipped up out of shear boredom for the funny factor. Uses a customized version of the mindcrusher enchantment to achieve the desired effect.

Ugly Stick
Price: 18,300 gp
Caster Level: 10th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) necromancy
Weight: 3 lb.
This +1 club with a special ability. Any creature struck in combat by the ugly stick must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or take 1 point of Charisma damage. The Charisma damage becomes Charisma drain on a successful critical hit.
xxPrerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, bestow curse, eagle's splendor.
xxCost to Create: 18,000 gp (plus 300 gp for masterwork club), 720 XP, 18 days.

Optimator
2010-04-24, 01:36 PM
Isn't there a spell or two that make you all nymph-like? Like Blinding Beauty or something like that? I seem to recall one that blinds and one that kills.