PDA

View Full Version : Suel Arcanamach Build

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-23, 11:41 PM
I was brainstorming this and want to hear the opinion of the playground.
This is just a theoretical (in the sense that I am not sure if I will play it, not like in TO) build I came up with.
Daelkyr Half blood

1 Ranger Track, favored enemy aberration Symbiont Mastery (Daelkyr half blood bonus feat) Combat Reflexes
2 Ranger Power attack (Alternative weapon style in crystal keep) or TWF
3 Ranger Knowledge Devotion
4 Duskblade
5 Duskblade Combat Casting
6 Duskblade Versatile Spell caster & Iron will (bought from O. Hole)
7 Suel Arcanamach
8 Suel Arcanamach
9 Suel Arcanamach Obtain Familiar
10 Suel Arcanamach
11 Impure Prince
12 Impure Prince Improved Familar
13 Impure Prince
14 Impure Prince
15 Impure Prince Robilar's Gambit
16 Abjurant Champion
17 Abjurant Champion
18 Abjurant Champion Arcane Strike
19 Abjurant Champion
20 Abjurant Champion

Also does anyone knows of a good way to add wings of cover/flurry to the suel arcanamach spell list? I believe that the drakehelm or a runestaff might be good options.

Also what would be a good symbiont for the above build? I am considering a throwing scarab for the first few levels, upgrading it to a tentacle whip.

I am considering TWF because of the abilty of the Tentacle whip to be used as an off-hand attack without penalties....

What do you think? is it viable? does it seems at least a bit poweful?

Thanks in advance

Keld Denar
2010-04-24, 03:39 AM
I'd knock out some of those prereq levels for something that gives you a bit more. My favorite entries into Suel Arcanamach are Paladin4/Duskblade2 or Hexblade4/Duskblade2, using the Cityscape Web Enchancement that allows you to swap out Ride for Tumble. You don't need to go as far as Duskblade3 to get Arcane Channeling, since there are almost no good spells on the Suel list to channel. Most of them are in Evocation or Conjouration or Necromancy, which Suels don't get. There are a couple in Transmutation, but overall, not worth it.

I'd change your level build a little. After Suel1 or 2, jump into AbjChamp. You want to get Martial Arcanist ASAP. Since you can stack multiple effects in an order that is most optimal to you, you have AbjChamp set your CL = your BAB, THEN apply Practiced Spellcaster (if you've lost 2 more BAB, which you will have), THEN apply Suel Arcanamach's +6 CL to resist dispels. Your CL will be so high, nothing will be able to dispel you.

I don't know much about Symbiots, as I haven't used them much, but if there are any that give you secondary natural attacks, pick up as many as you can. Stack as many as you can get, and then use something like Arcane Strike to get +damage and proceed with the tenticle rape.

Amphetryon
2010-04-24, 07:37 AM
I like:
Necropolitan Human Ranger 2/Duskblade 3/Warblade 2/Suel Arcanamach 6/Impure Prince 5/Jade Phoenix Mage 2

Feats: Combat Casting, Iron Will, Track, TWF, Symbiont Mastery, Fell Drain, Multiattack, Knowledge Devotion, Explosive Spell, Spontaneous Summoner.

It's a variant of the Nasty Gentleman Dirty Trick build at WotC.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-24, 09:09 AM
@Keld Denar You are right on the duskblade,somehow I thought that Suel Arcanamachs, had good spells to channel (and also the tentacle whip can channel touch spells and even hold the charge).

@Amphetryon: thanks but I won't use that build. I am trying to avoid ToB, because I usually use it and this time I don't want to use it.

Harperfan7
2010-04-24, 04:59 PM
What's impure prince?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-24, 05:15 PM
It is a 6 level prestige class from Maigc of eberron, it has full bab, two good saves 4/6 spellcasting progression.

It adds quite a bit of spell known, up to 50% firtification, advances (or grants depending on entry way) favored enemy aberration, gives symbionts and gives a weird burst ability.

Requires IIRC bab +4, favored enemy aberration (or feat whose name eludes me ATM) and symbiont mastery feat

Harperfan7
2010-04-24, 08:27 PM
It is a 6 level prestige class from Maigc of eberron, it has full bab, two good saves 4/6 spellcasting progression.

It adds quite a bit of spell known, up to 50% firtification, advances (or grants depending on entry way) favored enemy aberration, gives symbionts and gives a weird burst ability.

Requires IIRC bab +4, favored enemy aberration (or feat whose name eludes me ATM) and symbiont mastery feat

Cool. Will your DM allow greyhawk/eberron mixes?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-24, 10:27 PM
Cool. Will your DM allow greyhawk/eberron mixes?

Not sure, but my DM is pretty lenient and knowing him, he will definetly get a plot hook concerning the Suel Empire (psss... do someone knows about a good place where I can find more info on the suel empire?)

dextercorvia
2010-04-24, 10:41 PM
My favorite entries into Suel Arcanamach are Paladin4/Duskblade2 or Hexblade4/Duskblade2, using the Cityscape Web Enchancement that allows you to swap out Ride for Tumble. You don't need to go as far as Duskblade3 to get Arcane Channeling, since there are almost no good spells on the Suel list to channel.

Is Combat Casting the only thing Duskblade is here for now? If so, is it worth going Paladin of Tyranny2/Hexblade4, or are there not enough feats in the build?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 01:05 PM
Is Combat Casting the only thing Duskblade is here for now? If so, is it worth going Paladin of Tyranny2/Hexblade4, or are there not enough feats in the build?

I love aura of despair, but sadly pally of tyrany is out, because of the only blanket ban on my group (No evil)

How does these builds seem?

Ranger 2/Hexblade 4/SA 1/Abjurant Champion 5/SA +3/Impure prince 5
gives me my cute little shadow panther for debuffs, BAB 19, CL 19 and most SA goodies, pure arcane casting, cha synergy and I can get power attack for free (alternate combat style)
or

Ranger 1/Paladin 4/Ab Champ 1/SA 1/Ab Champ +4/Impure prince 6/SA +3

Cha to saves, turn undead to fuel divine feats, CL 19 BAB 19, full impure prince, most SA goodies, access to paladin wands, cha synergy.

Which do you think is better?

Amphetryon
2010-04-25, 03:28 PM
Of the two, I'll take the first build, especially if you can get Multiattack for your Ranger 2 bonus feat via Dragon or a houserule.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 05:02 PM
Of the two, I'll take the first build, especially if you can get Multiattack for your Ranger 2 bonus feat via Dragon or a houserule.

OK... why multiattack?

Keld Denar
2010-04-25, 05:29 PM
Ranger 1/Paladin 4/Ab Champ 1/SA 1/Ab Champ +4/Impure prince 6/SA +3

This one doesn't work, due to the fact that you can't cast 1st level Arcane Spells at the point you take AbChamp1.

I'd do something like Ranger1/LionTotemBarb1/Hexblade4 as entry. Or maybe Ranger1/LionTotemBarb2/Hexblade3.

And Duskblade is MOSTLY there for the free Combat Casting, but it also gives ALL knowledge skills as class skills to qualify for Suel (also great for using Knowledge Devotion for bonus damage), and with Versatile Spellcaster, you pretty much double your 1st level spells known and an swap slots back and forth, as well as burning 2 Duskblade slots for a 2nd level Suel slot. There are lots of good 2nd level Suel spells, especially Whirling Blade, Bladeweave, and Mirror Image.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 05:35 PM
So something like Ranger 2/Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Duskblade 2/Abj Champ 1/SA 1/Abj Champ +4/Impure Prince 6/ SA +3?

Keld Denar
2010-04-25, 05:44 PM
That doesn't work either...AbjChamp has this clause:

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an abjurant champion, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

So, you can't take some AC levels for Duskblade, then get into SA and take the rest for SA.

Can you do it without Ranger? Because I think your best bet for entry would be Pal4/Duskblade2/Suel. Take Law Devotion or Animal Devotion and use all of your TU attempts to power it every fight.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 06:18 PM
Ranger is mostly for FE Aberrations for easier entry into Impure prince,

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming an abjurant champion, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

I see my mistake now. I misread the clause concerning two different spellcasting class, I though you could choose freely which spell casting to advance even if you got another spellcasting class, but I see now.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-25, 07:16 PM
Ranger is mostly for FE Aberrations for easier entry into Impure prince,

I see my mistake now. I misread the clause concerning two different spellcasting class, I though you could choose freely which spell casting to advance even if you got another spellcasting class, but I see now.

I don't see how that interpretation is wrong. It says you choose which class to add each level to, not which class gets the progression.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 08:07 PM
It only mentions spellcasting classed taken BEFORE taking the class, not ones taken afterwards.

Edit: Re read your post, now I see what fo you mean...hmm you are right.

Also, got this idea!!! Is it possible to make a grapple check using the tentacle wip? something a la Scorpion from MK.

The idea I have is a normal check only at the tentacle reach (15 ft.) and then opposed STR checks, similar like the ones for the harpoon.

Eldariel
2010-04-25, 08:33 PM
[Also, got this idea!!! Is it possible to make a grapple check using the tentacle wip? something a la Scorpion from MK.

The idea I have is a normal check only at the tentacle reach (15 ft.) and then opposed STR checks, similar like the ones for the harpoon.

Uhm, so many "I'm not comfortable being grappled THERE"-jokes to be made...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 08:37 PM
Uhm, so many "I'm not comfortable being grappled THERE"-jokes to be made...

:blinks:..... Why do I always forget the unfortunate implications (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnfortunateImplications)

click the link.. you know you want to

Eldariel
2010-04-25, 08:44 PM
:blinks:..... Why do I always forget the unfortunate implications (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnfortunateImplications)

click the link.. you know you want to

It's an OOTS reference (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html). Direct quote, even (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 08:48 PM
It's an OOTS reference (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html). Direct quote, even (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html).

I know; but a) I was just looking for an oportunity to link to TV tropes and b) none of the players in my group read OotS, so they won't get the reference

Eldariel
2010-04-25, 08:51 PM
I know; but a) I was just looking for an oportunity to link to TV tropes

Die. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife)

and b) none of the players in my group read OotS, so they won't get the reference

Fix.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 08:54 PM
Die.

[QUOTE=Eldariel;8374898]Die. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife)

Sorry; but I had to take someone with me :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 09:01 PM
Die.

Die. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife)

Sorry; but I had to take someone with me :smalltongue:

Now.. can we please re-focus on the thread? I assume full responsability for the de-railing of the thread :Hangs head in shame:

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-26, 11:38 AM
I have an idea to boost your Archanamach/Impure Prince to astronomical levels

Race: Necropolitan Dalkyr (?) Halfblood
Class: Feat Paladin of Slaughter 5/Battledancer 1/Hexblade 3/Suel Archanamach 4/Impure Prince 7

You take (in addition to prerequisite feats) Force of Personality and Undead Toughness to add your CHA modifier to EVERYTHING

Person_Man
2010-04-26, 12:15 PM
Since their casting tops out at 5th level, IMO the Suel isn't that viable of a build above level 16. Whatever 6/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 5 is probably the sweet spot.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-26, 12:17 PM
Since their casting tops out at 5th level, IMO the Suel isn't that viable of a build above level 16. Whatever 6/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 5 is probably the sweet spot.

Possibly, but If I use this build, I seriously doubt the campaing reaches the higher level (16-20)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-26, 05:42 PM
does anyone knows where I can find the drake helm? I know they are in some eberron books but I can't remember in which one....

Pluto
2010-04-26, 05:52 PM
does anyone knows where I can find the drake helm? I know they are in some eberron books but I can't remember in which one....explorer's handbook

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-26, 05:54 PM
explorer's handbook

Thank you very much

Amphetryon
2010-04-26, 06:49 PM
I have an idea to boost your Archanamach/Impure Prince to astronomical levels

Race: Necropolitan Dalkyr (?) Halfblood
Class: Feat Paladin of Slaughter 5/Battledancer 1/Hexblade 3/Suel Archanamach 4/Impure Prince 7

You take (in addition to prerequisite feats) Force of Personality and Undead Toughness to add your CHA modifier to EVERYTHING
Impure Prince is a 6 level PrC; the 7th level could not be gained pre-epic.