PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Fly and Hitting Hard? 3.5

gallagher
2010-04-24, 12:24 AM
hey all, i am playing a martial character and am finally at a level where one of the big drawbacks of sword-play comes into effect. i cant fly, and a good portion of my enemies can. i have about 18k gp to spend (yes, i have been hoarding for a while) and would love to hear of a few ways to gain a flight speed with minimum investment, but i am willing to spend it all for reliability and be able to fly longer while fighting.

also, i was wondering if there is a feat or spell or something that will allow me to hit people on their touch AC. as a fighting class, if i know i am swinging into their touch AC i can power attack for full, and since i have a 15-20 crit range, i can reasonably assume that i will have many crits as time goes on.

so anybody have an answer to one or both of these questions?

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-24, 12:28 AM
hey all, i am playing a martial character and am finally at a level where one of the big drawbacks of sword-play comes into effect. i cant fly, and a good portion of my enemies can. i have about 18k gp to spend (yes, i have been hoarding for a while) and would love to hear of a few ways to gain a flight speed with minimum investment, but i am willing to spend it all for reliability and be able to fly longer while fighting.

also, i was wondering if there is a feat or spell or something that will allow me to hit people on their touch AC. as a fighting class, if i know i am swinging into their touch AC i can power attack for full, and since i have a 15-20 crit range, i can reasonably assume that i will have many crits as time goes on.

so anybody have an answer to one or both of these questions?

Bronze Griffon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bronzeGriffon) can be cost effective if you don't need flight every day and invested in ride. Winged Boots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsWinged) are pretty effective too.

AmberVael
2010-04-24, 12:33 AM
For touch attacks:

The spell you're looking for is Wraithstrike, which is in the spell compendium.

You can also potentially get the maneuver Emerald Razor, either by taking a martial adept level or spending some feats to pick up the maneuvers.

Alternately: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#deepImpact

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-24, 01:09 AM
You could get a feathered wings graft (fiend folio)

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-24, 01:12 AM
Caution: Feathered wings will make you evil, over time.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-24, 01:20 AM
Well, yeah. If your willpower is insufficient.

One of the save-subbing manuevers will fix that right up.

Fizban
2010-04-24, 01:50 AM
I think Winged Boots are the standard for fightery flight. Anything else is gonna get expensive fast.

For touch attacks, you might consider dipping a level of Paladin (or alignment variant of your choice), or pumping some Use Magic Device next level, so you can use wands of Rhino's Rush and Find the Gap. Find the Gap lets you make your first attack each round against touch AC for several rounds, and Rhino's Rush is a swift action that doubles the damage on your next charge attack. Both are pretty much gold for any fighter that can use them.

Ranos
2010-04-24, 03:26 AM
Amber amulets of vermin are pretty cheap. You could get the giant wasp one for 800GP for example, and get yourself a flying mount 1/day. Get two or three if you really need more uses, they're cheap anyway.

As for the touch attack thingy, as a poster before me said, emerald razor should be good. You don't have to waste a feat or a level though, just buy a ring of the diamond mind for 3000GP and you can use the maneuver once per encounter.

Darrin
2010-04-24, 08:09 AM
Winged Mask (Magic of Faerun p. 168) I think is the cheapest at-will all-day flying item: 13000 GP. Only drawback is you glow as a light spell, so no hiding/sneaky types.