PDA

View Full Version : Spellscales

herbe
2010-04-24, 11:58 AM
Spellscale is creature from Races of the Dragon. When a creature(any?) transformed into spellscale, he/she lose previous racial ability score adjustments, replacing them with the spellscale’s racial ability score adjustments. If you have an inherited template, for example you are a Insectile Ogre from Savage Species page 121, will you lose bonuses from this template or only from your original race(ogre)?

thanks for responses

Starbuck_II
2010-04-24, 12:06 PM
Spellscale is creature from Races of the Dragon. When a creature(any?) transformed into spellscale, he/she lose previous racial ability score adjustments, replacing them with the spellscale’s racial ability score adjustments. If you have an inherited template, for example you are a Insectile Ogre from Savage Species page 121, will you lose bonuses from this template or only from your original race(ogre)?

thanks for responses

I'd say all racial score bonuses/minuses (pg 32 says all).

Heliomance
2010-04-24, 12:22 PM
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Dragonborn, not Spellscales. Spellscales are a race like any other, descended from dragons. You don't become a Spellscale, you're born one.

Voice of Reason
2010-04-24, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Dragonborn, not Spellscales. Spellscales are a race like any other, descended from dragons. You don't become a Spellscale, you're born one.

Not entirely true. Although a majority of Spellscales are born as such, there is a rare ritual involving 5000g worth of rare ingredients in which a spellscale may ritually transform a player into a spellscale. I am away from my books though, so I can't speak with certainty on the OP. I believe they would lose their templates though if they become one via ritual, but they can certainly have (certain) templates, so it may be a DM call to grandfather in your existing templates (that still work).

Mongoose87
2010-04-24, 01:11 PM
Not entirely true. Although a majority of Spellscales are born as such, there is a rare ritual involving 5000g worth of rare ingredients in which a spellscale may ritually transform a player into a spellscale.

A player or player character!? :smalleek:

senrath
2010-04-24, 01:14 PM
A player. The magic is that powerful.

herbe
2010-04-24, 01:55 PM
I'd say all racial score bonuses/minuses (pg 32 says all).

"The technical details of giving up your previous race and taking on the aspects of the spellscale race are different from those for a character who assumes a creature template."

this is in the first line of the mentioned table

Starsinger
2010-04-24, 02:21 PM
A player or player character!? :smalleek:

A player. The magic is that powerful.

You mean you're going to teach me how to have the real power?

Heliomance
2010-04-24, 02:29 PM
Your spellscale fails her saving throw and I declare her dead.

senrath
2010-04-24, 03:04 PM
I wasn't even thinking about that when I made my previous post. It's even better in my mind, now. Thanks.

Sydonai
2010-04-24, 10:00 PM
Oh god, Jack Chick references......:smallyuk:

edit[my keyboard hates me]

PersonMan
2010-04-24, 10:09 PM
Oh god, Jack Chick referances......:smallyuk:

Oh god, typos...:smallyuk:

But don't worry! We can burn all of your expensive books and you'll be saved and won't think about the hundreds of dollars you just effectively burned! *twitch*

herbe
2010-04-25, 06:54 AM
So when a humanoid (i found that only humanoid can become spellscale) gain a inherited template such as lycanthrope, fiendish or celestial, then become spellscale is he/she lose benefit from his template?
Is inherited template becomes part of race?, because RotD mentions on pg 32 that lose almost all bonuses/minuses from your original race? Original race of fiendish drow is drow. And lose all benefit/drawback of being drow and become fiendish spellscale? Am i right?