PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Metamagic Spells Known

NineThePuma
2010-04-24, 04:30 PM
So, I've DMed with this a few times at lower level games, but wouldn't you know it, no one bothered with it.

Basically, instead of mandating that your spontaneous caster take MetaMagic feats (which slows them down and renders MEtaMagic largely the forte of casters), instead they give up a spell known to apply a metamagic feat to one of their spells, so the end result is that they know that spell as an X level spell with the meta magic feat, and it doesn't affect anything else.

So, you could have a Silent Sleep spell, as a second level spell on your spells known, and keep the open feat.

It doesn't affect anything about the spell except for what the feat affects, and is considered a 'stand alone spell' including replacing the starting spell at a later level.

I personally don't see how this would be a problem, and am considering using it in seriousness, so am looking for opinions on potential balance problems.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-24, 04:34 PM
I think your option is fine, don't see a problem with it for sorcerers and stuff.

I personally wouldn't use it, if I don't need to use a move action that round there is no real disadvantage to spending a full round action[which differs form a 1 round casting]. to cast a maximized etc spell.

NineThePuma
2010-04-24, 04:37 PM
I'm largely looking at having more feats open for having more feats available to the sorc, I will admit.

Milskidasith
2010-04-24, 06:05 PM
Sorcs are less in need of feats than spells known. A sorc with a lot of feats is obviously good, but when sorcs get more spells known, they enter wizard level power (save possible PrCs) without needing to prepare spells.

Flob
2010-04-24, 07:48 PM
I like this option. You should give sorcs UNLIMITED POWER!!! (May be in a game with Dyth). +10,000 xp per kill.