PDA

View Full Version : Master Base Class Expansion (3.5 Dragonlance)

EdroGrimshell
2010-04-24, 05:43 PM
In the Dragonlance book War of the Lance there is a class called the Master. It's meant to be a playable version of the expert and is my favorite Skill Monkey class after the factotum.

I would like to expand on the knacks the Master can gain. I realize this class is probably a bit more obscure than others and would like any input someone could give. Ideas or full fledged knacks would be useful for this little expansion project.

Master Craftsman

Imbue Item: With this knack, the master craftsman can infuse his items with his life force, giving it magical properties. The master craftsman selects one Craft skill, when using this Craft skill, the master craftsman may make magic items even if he has no spellcasting ability or item creation feats. The master craftsman cannot create charged items or single use items with this knack.

Creating a magic item in this way costs 75% the market price, 150% the normal Exp cost, and takes the time it would take to create a masterwork item of the same type. Additionally, if the master craftsman spends 150% the normal market price, he can craft the magic item without paying any Exp.

A master craftsman with ranks in the Craft (alchemy) skill can craft potions in this way. These potions are completely alchemical in nature, drawing no power from magic.

This knack can be taken more than once. Each time, it applies to a different Craft skill.

Prerequisites: Item of Distinction, Craft (specific skill) 6 ranks.

---
__________________________________________________ ______________
Master Performer

---
Master Professional

---
Master Sage

Student of Magic: A master sage with this knack has acquired a small degree of magical talent. Upon selecting this knack, the master sage gains the ability to cast a small number of arcane spells, which are drawn from the master sage spell list. A master sage must choose and prepare his spells in advance.

To prepare or cast a spell, a master sage must have an Int score equal to at least 10 + the spell’s level. The DC for a saving throw against a master sage’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the master sage’s Int modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a master sage can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given below. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Int score. When the table below indicates that a master sage gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Int score for that spell level.

At 4th level and higher, a master sage’s caster level for spells is one-half his class level.

Prerequisite: Knowledge (arcana) 6 Ranks, Spellcraft 3 Ranks

---

EdroGrimshell
2010-04-25, 08:45 AM
over 50 reviews and not a single post.

Anyone have anything that could be useful

Ashtagon
2010-04-25, 08:50 AM
tbh, this just feels like "throw magic at every class" to me. Not every class should be magical. The expert (and fighter, and rogue) and supposed to be inherently non-magical. Your master craftsman is stepping on the toes of the artificer in any case. Equally, your sage is stepping on the wizard's toes.

EdroGrimshell
2010-04-25, 10:00 AM
tbh, this just feels like "throw magic at every class" to me. Not every class should be magical. The expert (and fighter, and rogue) and supposed to be inherently non-magical. Your master craftsman is stepping on the toes of the artificer in any case. Equally, your sage is stepping on the wizard's toes.

The way i see it, if one has enough knowledge of arcana they should be able to get a little bit of magic, besides, they would have a limited (extremely limited) spell list, essentially a magewright more than a wizard. this is very narrow in scope. But i do see your point, i always start as a master sage and get knowledge devotion ASAP or as a master performer with the insperational abilities (if that isn't stepping into bard territory i don't know what is).

i got the idea for imbue item from the gifted maker prestige class from an enworld pdf. It's a choice the character has, i was thinking of a better way to add mundane versions of magical enhancements (keen, defending, Etc.) but this was a slightly better option because i had something to base it on. Seriously though, the master craftsman only has the ability to make a masterwork item that grants a +5 nonmagical bonus, with very little else.

I realize that some of this is redundant with other class abilities, but so are many existing classes (i'm looking at the ninja and rogue). Are they really that bad?

Simpatiya
2013-11-16, 12:49 PM
I really liked this*information.

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-16, 03:09 PM
I really liked this*information.

Wow, three year necro, new personal best for my homebrew stuff.

Falcon X
2014-01-27, 11:53 PM
Sounds like you're still checking the forums, so I'll bring this back up.

Did you get anywhere with this idea?

Personally, I might think about mixing in some artificer here. But I'll likely make Artificing a feat for the Master.

I'm trying to put together a customized base class list that is ultimately going to have a completely new play style.
I was trying to find a new non-magical broad-skill class, and I think using Master as the base is the way to go.

Here is an overview of my class and feat system, if you care to look:
Here is my class list. You can ignore or provide advice if you see fit:
Fighter: (Focused Mundane)
- Duskblade
- Warblade
- Crusader
Rogue: (Broad-based Mundane)
- Factotum
- Master
- Swordsage
Mage (Inner power)
- Warmage
- Beguiler
- Dread Necromancer
Cleric (Outer power)
- Druid (Shapeshifting, Druidic Avenger variant)
- Warlock (Expand to allow Elemental focuses)
- Priest (Cleric/Healer hybrid. Functionally like Warmage, Beguiler, DN)
Specialty Caster (Optional)
- Archivist (Complete homebrew. Uses inspiration, like Factotum. Can cast ALL spells, in a way...)
- Truenamer
- Binder

Feats in the new system are almost blended with Multiclassing. Players will get a feat every 4 levels.
Feats will be chosen from either:
1. 2 levels of ABILITIES from any other class
2. +20 in any skill (I'm making everything, including trip, disarm, etc skills)
3. A Metamagic (Applied at will, no increased spell level)
4. A class-specific Feat. Each Class has 5 class specific feats.
- For example, Factotum can choose from:
A. Bardic Inspiration - Begin performing. Extend inspiration point usage to friends.
B. Assassin - Double damage done from sneak attacks
C. Extra Inspiration Pool (+3 I'm thinking)
D.
E.

As you can see, Feats are much more powerful in my setting. They represent unique, focused study.
I'm thinking Artificer could be a feat for the Master.