PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shadow Magic/Innate Counterspell Qs

sambo.
2010-04-24, 07:51 PM
yowza, i'm playing a Noctumancer in a pbp campaign.

this "innate counterspell" ability, how exactly does it work?

Innate Counterspell (Su): Starting at 2nd level, you can attempt to counter a mystery or spell without using a readied action. Once per day, you can counter a spell as an immediate action, by expending a mystery use per day, a spell slot (if you prepare spells), or a spell use (if you are a spontaneous caster) as long as the mystery or spell expended is of the same level or higher as the mystery or spell to be countered.

At 7th level, when you successfully counter a mystery or spell using this ability, you retain some of the magical essence of the countered dweomer.
You can choose to either gain one additional use of a mystery, regain an expended spell slot (if you prepare spells), or gain the use of an additional spell (if you are a spontaneous caster). The level of the mystery or spell you gain is equal to one-half the level of the mystery or spell you countered (rounded down, minimum 1).
You can use innate counterspell once per day at 2nd level, two times at 5th, and three times at 8th.
the second bit is pretty self explanatory.

when i burn the spellslot/Mystery, is it a straight opposed caster level check? eg: 1d20+caster level against the opposing spellcaster? is it: 1d20+caster level + spell level opposed roll? is there a cap on the caster level i can use?

i take it i can ignore the "school" of the spell and just burn the slot to counterspell?

how do feats like Elven Spell Lore function with this ability?

another question is: how does "untyped damage" interract with damage reduction? the mystery Killing Shadows in particular.

at a guess, only DR-All would reduce killing shadows damage.

thanx in advance!

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-24, 10:05 PM
yowza, i'm playing a Noctumancer in a pbp campaign.

this "innate counterspell" ability, how exactly does it work?

the second bit is pretty self explanatory.

when i burn the spellslot/Mystery, is it a straight opposed caster level check? eg: 1d20+caster level against the opposing spellcaster? is it: 1d20+caster level + spell level opposed roll? is there a cap on the caster level i can use?

i take it i can ignore the "school" of the spell and just burn the slot to counterspell?

how do feats like Elven Spell Lore function with this ability?

another question is: how does "untyped damage" interract with damage reduction? the mystery Killing Shadows in particular.

at a guess, only DR-All would reduce killing shadows damage.

thanx in advance!

Automatic. So, let's say you're 7th level. You counter a spell with this ability. It's a level 4 spell. You give up a mystery or spell of at least 4th level, and the other spell is countered. You recover a spell of 2nd level or lower, due to the level 7 ability.

sambo.
2010-04-24, 11:50 PM
Automatic. So, let's say you're 7th level. You counter a spell with this ability. It's a level 4 spell. You give up a mystery or spell of at least 4th level, and the other spell is countered. You recover a spell of 2nd level or lower, due to the level 7 ability.

say WHA?

it auto-counters the opposition spellcaster? no opposed roll needed?

yowza.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-25, 12:18 AM
say WHA?

it auto-counters the opposition spellcaster? no opposed roll needed?

yowza.

An opposed roll is only called for when using dispel magic anyway.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-25, 02:57 AM
1/day = meh.

My CoDzilla can do it while heavily outnumbered against spellcasters.

sambo.
2010-04-25, 06:16 PM
1/day = meh.

My CoDzilla can do it while heavily outnumbered against spellcasters.

i'll have other dispelling options available to me.

Warp Spell and readied actions for a start.