PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good idea for the other side of a kobold psion gesalt

Touchy
2010-04-24, 10:13 PM
Short story; playing in an all kobold gesalt game, we must cannot multi-class, besides PrCs, but we must take all ten levels, I already decided I wanted to do the simple thing and be a blaster, the idea of a fully armored blaster is amusing to me. So I'm a kineticist, but I can't think of anything to gesalt it with, seeing as wizard gimps it.

also the DM is cool with dragonwrought and will provide dragon wings as a bonus feat at level 3.

I've got all resources available online + magic of the incarnum, which I do not want to actively use, simply because I'm horrible at making chooses on passive benefits, that and then I have to explain it in a back-story.

Generally rules I have to follow:
36 pointbuy
standard wealth
normal kobold, not desert
cannot dip
can only multi-class to PrCs, but must take all the levels.
Effective at or around level 2, since I start at this level

Preferences:
Lawful neutral alignment(Only reason I'm not taking bardic sage + battle caster)
Features work in heavy or medium armor(For mitheral full-plate goodness).
More saves are cool too, but it's not the most important deciding factor.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-24, 10:16 PM
Warblade sounds like your best option for what you want. It'll get maneuvers, provide you with Intelligence synergy, give you some armor choices, and give you a gishy feel. Bonus, strong Fort saves and Int bonus to reflex. Medium Armor Proficiency nets mithril full plate, as well.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-24, 10:17 PM
Factotum. Tons of skills and Int as a bonus to pretty much everything you do.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-24, 10:19 PM
I'd have suggested Factotum, but they're not really the "armored core" feel he seems to want.

Touchy
2010-04-24, 10:20 PM
Warblade sounds like your best option for what you want. It'll get maneuvers, provide you with Intelligence synergy, give you some armor choices, and give you a gishy feel. Bonus, strong Fort saves and Int bonus to reflex, IIRC.

I'm not really going for gishy, I just wanted an armored caster, I'll leave martial stuff for the fighters(general, not class). Plus we already have a dragoon, what more frontline support do we need?
But seems to be an great option, I'll consider it. Some more suggests WOULD be nice though.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-24, 10:22 PM
I'd have suggested Factotum, but they're not really the "armored core" feel he seems to want.

Spend a feat for medium armor proficiency. Everything beyond that is just fluff.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-24, 10:23 PM
I'm not really going for gishy, I just wanted an armored caster, I'll leave martial stuff for the fighters(general, not class). Plus we already have a dragoon, what more frontline support do we need?
But seems to be an option, but learning how to manuever's work would make it a bit lower.

In that case, take Cloistered Cleric. Who cares if you don't have a proficiency in heavy armor, you don't take spell failure, and you're not making attack rolls.

It'll give you back up buffing/healing options.

Touchy
2010-04-24, 10:24 PM
Spend a feat for medium armor proficiency. Everything beyond that is just fluff.

Don't factotum's use arcane magic, so I would have to spend two feats.

Regardless I don't have that book.

In that case, take Cloistered Cleric. Who cares if you don't have a proficiency in heavy armor, you don't take spell failure, and you're not making attack rolls.

It'll give you back up buffing/healing options.

Do they cast from int or wis, because if I were to be a theurgic gesalt, I would want some synergy.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-24, 10:27 PM
Don't factotum's use arcane magic, so I would have to spend two feats.

Regardless I don't have that book.

They don't have ASF for any kind of armor. But if you don't have the book, it doesn't matter anyway.

If you have a decent Cha, marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) might be a good idea, because its abilities are almost entirely passive.

Darkxarth
2010-04-24, 10:28 PM
Duskblade gives you armor proficiency, is Int-based (I am fairly certain) and gives you spells, so is not necessarily "frontline melee" though you can be if you want.

Other than that, I second Divide by Zero and PhoenixRivers on either Medium Armor Prof or Warblade.

Touchy
2010-04-24, 10:28 PM
They don't have ASF for any kind of armor. But if you don't have the book, it doesn't matter anyway.

If you have a decent Cha, marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) might be a good idea, because its abilities are almost entirely passive.

I'll check that link later, for some reason my internet is refusing to load sites besides GITP.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-24, 10:45 PM
I'd second factotum if you could get your hands on Dungeonscape, as it's absofrickinlutely amazing in gestalt, especially with the other side being casterish, and especially with an Int-focus.

You could play a divine minion (LA+1) kobold, and go straight (though I say 'straight' loosely; after all, I don't know who your kobold fancies :smallwink:) master of many forms, then into warshaper. Get yourself a psicrystal if you want to avoid having to take Alertness as a feat (and keep your psicrystal close).

Who needs physical stats? Screw the rules, I've got money! I'm a kobold!

Touchy
2010-04-24, 11:06 PM
I'd second factotum if you could get your hands on Dungeonscape, as it's absofrickinlutely amazing in gestalt, especially with the other side being casterish, and especially with an Int-focus.

You could play a divine minion (LA+1) kobold, and go straight (though I say 'straight' loosely; after all, I don't know who your kobold fancies :smallwink:) master of many forms, then into warshaper. Get yourself a psicrystal if you want to avoid having to take Alertness as a feat (and keep your psicrystal close).

Who needs physical stats? Screw the rules, I've got money! I'm a kobold!

Well considering I really don't care to RP sexuality, it defaults to straight or whatever is funny for the moment.

Also since the factotum is the rogue fix, wouldn't it's abilitys only function in light armor, thats not what I'm really going for.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-24, 11:11 PM
Well considering I really don't care to RP sexuality, it defaults to straight or whatever is funny for the moment.

Also since the factotum is the rogue fix, wouldn't it's abilitys only function in light armor, thats not what I'm really going for.The factotum's abilities function independently of armor.

You could wear full-plate and be fine (though they're not proficient with heavy armors).

Haven
2010-04-24, 11:13 PM
I'd definitely say Warblade. Int synergy, d12 HP, shores up your weak saves, lets you regain psionic focus as a swift action when you get to level 4, it gets you the armor proficiency you want (well, not "fully" armored), stances are a great passive benefit, and if you've already got people specializing in being fighters then you can focus in White Raven to buff them up.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-24, 11:18 PM
The factotum's abilities function independently of armor.

You could wear full-plate and be fine (though they're not proficient with heavy armors).

Not entirely true. Improved Cunning Defense (which technically stacks with Cunning Defense, now that I look at it) only works in light armor or less, but by that point your Int should be so high that it's better than full plate anyway.

Touchy
2010-04-24, 11:25 PM
Not entirely true. Improved Cunning Defense (which technically stacks with Cunning Defense, now that I look at it) only works in light armor or less, but by that point your Int should be so high that it's better than full plate anyway.

It's not optimization I'm going for, I want to full-fill this character idea. I realize it's not the best, but I'd like to accurately do it.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-24, 11:27 PM
Not entirely true. Improved Cunning Defense (which technically stacks with Cunning Defense, now that I look at it) only works in light armor or less, but by that point your Int should be so high that it's better than full plate anyway.Okay, so one class feature.

But as you say, you should have an uber Int by then anyway.

What if you played a swashbuckling kobold, debonair and suave? Also, again for the divine minion.

Nothin' says lovin' like turning into a T-Rex and devouring your enemies.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-24, 11:29 PM
It's not optimization I'm going for, I want to full-fill this character idea. I realize it's not the best, but I'd like to accurately do it.

Doesn't matter too much anyway, because you can still spend Inspiration for the non-improved version, and if you can't get ahold of Dungeonscape it's a moot point either way.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-24, 11:44 PM
I believe Cloistered Cleric casts off int, but if not, Archivist does.

Fortuna
2010-04-24, 11:46 PM

You'll need to go Archivist, I'm afraid. But hey, that gives you early access to a wide variety of awesome, so don't complain.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-24, 11:46 PM

No, it casts exactly like a regular cleric, except for the extra domain and a couple of extra spells. Archivist uses Int for DCs and Wis for bonus spells/day,