PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt: What is it?

Vagnarok
2010-04-24, 10:31 PM
I tried searching for threads with references to Gestalt characters, but I got over 20 pages... :/

I am interested in making a gestalt character for a 1 player session. I really have no idea what goes into it other than choosing the best aspects of 2 classes to form a new one instead of multiclassing.

Can anyone help me out with a link to a guide or maybe some helpful guidelines for a first time gestalt?

Divide by Zero
2010-04-24, 10:35 PM
Basically, you take the best of each class for each individual class. The better Fort save, the better BAB, the better hit die, and so on. You get all class features from both classes unless they have the same ability (for example, two classes that both gave sneak attack), in which case you take the better progression.

For example, a fighter/wizard would have the fighter's Fort save, a poor Ref save (because they both have a poor Ref save normally), the wizard's Will save, full BAB, d10 hit die, full wizard spellcasting, full familiar progression, bonus wizard feats, and bonus fighter feats. It gets a lot more complicated if you start multiclassing on one or both sides, so I'd suggest sticking with one class per side for your first time.

Powerfamiliar
2010-04-24, 10:36 PM
Full details are in the SRD:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltcharacters.htm

As you said it is combining 2 classes. For things they share you get the best of both (BAB, Saves, HP, skills, ect) for actual features you get them all from both classes. You tend to want classes with different strengths. Fighter//Barbarian for example would end up with many overlaps.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-04-25, 12:06 AM
Note that it isn't like 4e hybrid classes--that is, it isn't meant to be balanced with normal characters. It's a variant ruleset, so your DM has to declare a gestalt game first.

DSCrankshaw
2010-04-25, 12:08 AM
Note that it isn't like 4e hybrid classes--that is, it isn't meant to be balanced with normal characters. It's a variant ruleset, so your DM has to declare a gestalt game first.

QFT. You said you're interested in making a gestalt character for a game, but it doesn't work unless your DM is willing to run a gestalt game where all the characters are gestalt.

nyjastul69
2010-04-25, 02:41 AM
QFT. You said you're interested in making a gestalt character for a game, but it doesn't work unless your DM is willing to run a gestalt game where all the characters are gestalt.

Yup. Its basic design is for a group of fewer than the core assumption so all the potential adventure elements can be met without the DM modifying the standards much. It's also good for power gaming.

Escheton
2010-04-25, 07:56 AM
its for partys of 2 or 3 players that need all bases covered without a/too many dmpc's
and powergaming groups