PDA

View Full Version : The Daelkry

Geiger Counter
2010-04-24, 10:57 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m72/thekeyofe/Motivational/motivator8497116.jpg
Can anyone enlighten as to the objectives of the Daelkry?

nyarlathotep
2010-04-24, 11:09 PM
They want to conquer Eberron for reasons that are entirely up to the DM. Which is sort of a cop out, but the Eberron line ended before a Xoriat specific book could come out, and 4th ed hasn't gotten there yet.

arguskos
2010-04-24, 11:27 PM
They want to conquer Eberron for reasons that are entirely up to the DM. Which is sort of a cop out, but the Eberron line ended before a Xoriat specific book could come out, and 4th ed hasn't gotten there yet.
Considering that part of Eberron's entire shtick is that it's very open for the DM (Lords of Dust? Day of Mourning? Daelkyr? All up the DM), it's not really a cop-out.

The Rabbler
2010-04-24, 11:29 PM
in the past, they've experimented on stuff and created weird, twisted stuff from that. In my mind, they are the essence of chaos and they follow whatever whim they may have. I personally don't see them as being very organized or having a set plan, though it's certainly possible if the DM wishes it to be so. They amount to dark, brooding overlords who do just about anything they want at any time. on their plane of course.

If you're DMing and you want to understand how to use the Daelkyr, use them whenever you want stuff to go crazy. They're baisically your explanation for anything out-of-the-ordinary (which in ebberron, isn't all that much).

If you're a player, don't worry about it. Just remember that they can touch you to mess you up and they're probably the cause of anything creepy or random.

Inyssius Tor
2010-04-24, 11:34 PM
One: It's Daelkyr, actually. K-Y-R.

Two: They're insane, and destructively so, and they enjoy ruining things and fleshwarping abominations. That's just their nature and the nature of their homeland Xoriat, just as the shades of Dolurrh forget and the archons of Shavarath war. Why are the Daelkyr mad? You might as well ask why fires burn.

(Not to say that there necessarily is no answer, mind you. I suspect you could build a really interesting plot around "the reason why fires burn", whatever that reason might be in your campaign.)

AslanCross
2010-04-25, 05:00 AM
A lot of their time is spent creating things. A lot of creatures were invented in the millennia that they spent in Eberron. To me, they see Eberron as one big experiment.

Kol Korran
2010-04-25, 08:03 AM
one focus that i've found for the Daelkyr (and in extension some of their minions) is simply an interest in experimental evolution. they are like scientist deprived of any moral system, that toy and game with creating various races and see how they interact with the world. each of them has their own specialities (liek the master of stone, or the master of eyes), but they can really just turn up anything.

thing is, they seem to have mostly withdrawn from directly interferring with Eberron. they are immortal, they got time, why not use it to breed new usefull species.

i guess one could wander why they would set out to conquer worlds in the first place? no one knows really. perhaps experiments are easier when the environment is fully controlled?

it's your game to find out what to do with. i much more prefer to use their minions, who are easier to play and understand (even if not by much) such as beholders, Illithids and even dolgrims and dolgaunts.

sofawall
2010-04-25, 11:31 AM
One: It's Daelkyr, actually. K-Y-R.

It even said so in your picture.