PDA

View Full Version : Army of Monsters IC

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-25, 02:05 AM
In the forests west of Rithegollos, a port city on the Issean Sea, it is dusk. On a small hillock, lit by the pure light of the rising moon, a dolmen circle of raised stones stands, newly erected. At the bottom of the hill, a fire crackles in a clearing of moderate size where a dozen monsters stand, talk, and eat. All are different in their size, color, form, and temperament, yet one stands out: an ettin, garbed more finely than most of its kind, with a blindfold covering the eyes of one head. The focus of the others' attention seems to be on him, and so it is, for they have come here to meet him. This is the Oracle, the rarest of creatures; though many other creatures of the world (those called by the humanoids "monsters") hear the whispers of the Old Gods in their dreams and are stirred to heed their words, only the Oracle--among all of the Old Gods' worshipers--receives power from them in the way the young humanoids trade worship of their equally young gods for power. The Oracle speaks to them of the humanoids' destruction of their kind, and of the wishes of the Old Gods, bidding them not seek vengeance; the Old Gods are not the Young Gods, to order their creations to slaughter in Their name.

Many years after this first meeting, in the forests west of Rithegollos, it is again dusk. On the small hillock, lit by the pure light of the rising moon, a dolmen circle of raised stones has silently borne the passage of time. At the bottom of the hill, a fire crackles in a clearing of moderate size where a dozen monsters stand, talk, and eat. All are different in their size, color, form, and temperament...and all of these differ from the last dozen creatures to have met here those long years past. Unlike the last meeting, there is no Oracle here counseling peace; the Oracle retreated into solitude a time ago, speaking less and less with the other creations of the Old Gods, and between his absence and the humanoids' atrocities, the next generation of "monsters" has lost patience. Some represent tribes of a few dozen or a few hundred of their race; some represent eclectic bands of like-minded creatures; some represent only themselves; all wish to end the tyranny of humanoidkind over the world.

Though much shouting and argument and baring of claws has taken place this eve, a lull has fallen over the clearing. Each creature contemplates his own thoughts, perhaps silently, perhaps with another. Undecided on a course of action, the group as a whole waits for one of their number to speak.

This is the IC thread for the Army of Monsters game; the OOC thread is here.

Jallorn
2010-04-25, 12:10 PM
A humanoid form, clothed in rough and tough fibers, rises to the center. There is a slight murmur that starts to grow to a cry when it is seen that the figure is human. Before the cry can truly grow or any actions be taken however, the figure begins to shift, as do the clothes. In mere moments, the figure has been distorted, muscles much larger, body proportionately larger than the head, the head itself elongated, and the entire body is covered in fur, while over that the clothes have shifted to padded armor covered by light fabrics, all dark shades of black or brown. Then, the figure speaks. It is a curious voice, a harsh bark, yet also a melodious yowl at the same time. The Oracle is dead. At this, a great consternation stirs the gathering, as various beings cry out in horror or disbelief. The speaker raises his snout into the air, and is accompanied in a short howl, that calms those present, if only temporarily. Yes, The Oracle is dead, but it was not the doing of the humans. It was a natural death, a rest well earned after a long and difficult life. I was there, and in his presence, I was touched by the four greatest of the old gods. The gods of nature themselves spoke to me, and they said, "We still wish no war be waged in our name, nor should war be waged for vengeance. However, the wild peoples, the free peoples, they are dying. You must adapt. Rise up and challenge the young ones' champions. You will be the beacon of the cause." A few among the gathered being crying foul, but instead of answering, the speaker simply nods to someone behind him. A large panther walks forwards, and then begins to shift form, through what the speaker is, to that of a female human, unclothed. She then takes a bowl, and pours a liquid over the speaker. Grabbing a torch, she thrusts it into the speaker's fur, and the liquid catches alight. Now wreathed in flames, the speaker steps forward, showing no signs of pain or panic, and speaks one last time. You see the gift of the Lord of Fire, the only evidence I have as to my story. And now my purpose shall be made known to you. My tribe was recently wounded quite severely by human assaults, and many of you could say the same. If not, you will soon be able to. The humans are moving once again. If you do not stand against them, united, placing aside the struggles and arguments of old, we will all fall. I have no desire to lead this force, nor any desire to displace current leaders. However, we here are not enough. Even though we would be a formidable force allied, humans have far greater numbers and far superior resources. And so I call for volunteers for a coalition. I call for individuals with a willingness to travel to unknown lands and make allies of unknown peoples. Even, if the opportunity and need should arise, to travel into human lands and strike them from within. Speak with me if you desire to join this quest. However, many of you are representatives of your people, and I ask therefore that you will return with my companion to our tribe, to negotiate the terms and goals of this alliance. The speaker then steps down, returning to his human form, and waits.

Ladorak
2010-04-25, 06:53 PM
Another rises to his feet and walks into the great clearing, he wears a loose burnoose that cloaks his features in the twilight of the campfires. 'I am Kcha, better known as the Lone Wanderer.' Two hands rise up from within the cloak to push back the hood, while another two stay in the sleeves. The half light does much to disguise the Thri-Kreen's unusual appearance, although in isolated parts of the crowd some whispered of the stone warrior. 'We all have tales of woe and it is right that we should howl our pain and recite the names of the fallen in this holy place. The Humans smashed my eggs and killed my mate before my eyes, they took from me my whole Clutch. Now I alone carry the memory of my tribe and when I die so too will thousands of years of history.
'I escaped my captivity and have become a specter that haunts the Humans. They tell their children of me to scare them into obedience. While you-' All four hands come up pointing into the assembled crowd '-Fled before their might. That was wise, for surely the humans would be content with their conquest?
'But you were wrong brothers and sisters. The prophet has told you that the humans are moving once again. My friends, never did they stop moving! Your lands remained safe only while they consolated their power, annexed the lands, pacified the slaves.
'The Humans will never be content. As I have haunted them I have learnt of them. These creatures will not rest until all here assembled are dead or in chains. Until this moment I have fought on your behalf, but no longer can the Lone Wanderer stave off the Humans. Now, united or divided, you will have to fight for yourselves.'
The Mantis Warrior turns to Ilna and raises his fist to the sky, a salute that leaves an impression on the crowd 'I pledge my Gythka, my bloodletters, to this cause. United we must stand.'

Tacitus
2010-04-25, 09:28 PM
Malzakar, Kobold God-King?

The small reptile breaks out in a fit of laughter that grates on the nerves even more than his small yapping voice. He is outfitted with a finely woven chain shirt and a simple mithral buckler which are mostly hidden under rather vestments that cascade down from his shoulders, glowing with flecks of sickly green light. A single sphere glimmering with light orbits his head and a longsword and longbow rest upon the ground behind him. His belt is perhaps the most interesting of all, the buckle set with six glittering gems of power that seems to enhance every aspect of his being.

"You think the mighty koblds would flee before the might of the human horde? Hah! We served in their mines and sabotaged whatever We could put our claws upon. We were slaves for but a moment and We will have you know they could do nothing to pacify us. You tell the God-King Malzakar why He should join a coalition but not tell Him what We get in return. Can this coalition give anything back to the mighty Kobolds?"

Jallorn
2010-04-25, 09:34 PM
The speaker grabs at the rapier at his side, drawing it forcefully. He immediately begins to flicker. Do not claim to be a god then speak of might and rewards. Do you wish us to believe you to be like the young gods, or their pets?

Tacitus
2010-04-25, 10:35 PM
Mal

Despite the tales of kobolds being a cowardly lot, preferring odds in their favor in excess of two to one, the so-called God-King holds his ground. Had he lips the creature would have smiled at the sight of the rapier, "We are not The Old Gods and We are not The Young Gods. We are the only God who is gracious enough to walk among mortals. We are also wise enough to understand that there must be an equal trade in all bargains. Protection is hardly relevant when Our wisdom freed Our people from bondage without the aid of some coalition. We can offer much, but you have yet to give anything in return."

Jallorn
2010-04-25, 10:42 PM
I am not the coalition. No one here is the coalition and no one here speaks for it, the speaker levels his gaze at the Kobold, then lets his eyes drift up slightly, his face betraying a look of curiosity. Sheathing his rapier, he adds, I speak only for myself, Ilna, and you are no god to me, and would do well to remember that. Any who cannot see the value of an alliance when they are surrounded by enemies is naught but a fool. Your people may be strong, and fearless, but alone you cannot stand against the forces that will be brought to bare. I myself have spent time in the human lands, and I have seen a nefarious new weapon of theirs. So far, they use it as punishment for crimes, or for those like us, but their twisted minds could easily think up many more uses for it than I. A liquid that bursts into flame upon contact with the air, and won't go out even when submerged in water. It burns for hours and sticks to skin, or wood, or even metal. And this, I'm sure, is the least of their weapons.

Tacitus
2010-04-26, 01:29 AM
Mal

A twitch. Though it was well hidden in the movements of the small creature the fact that it was there told volumes. Ilna is perhaps the only one who catches it due to insight int body language and can come close to understanding the sign. The God-King fears fire. This is not particularly strange by itself, but with his boasts of being such a powerful creature one would assume that even fire would be of little importance. Then again, as subtle as it had been, perhaps it was planned? As quickly as it had fallen his guard is back up, "We see nothing of value. Show Us your armies. Show Us your walls. Show Us a land where We might one day live in peace. You give Us only words and expect Us to take it as truth. You might as well be asking Us to call you a God for asking for such faith."

Pezmerga
2010-04-26, 07:21 AM
After hours of contemplation and stillness, mistaken for a statue by some, not even noticed by others, A gargoyle steps foward into the light....
Friends, I am Zarku, of the Shadow Sun Clan.....Now is the time to learn to trust each other. We have more than an adequate foe in these humans, no need to create more amongst each other. I too have had my share of encounters with the humans and know of their cruelty and intolerance. My clan was destroyed....my brothers...fellow Wingwyrds and even other humans. Out of fear. FEAR! With their petty Justifications, MY HOME WAS DESTROYED! MY PEOPLE SLAUGHTERED! I Need no reasons, I NEED NO REASSURANCE! There will be retribution...for my brothers and sisters...Wingwyrd and human alike!!!!
The wingwyrd looks at the Kobold...
Kobold, you speak of needing proof? What shall you do without this "proof" you need? Hide? The Humans will not wait. They have tasted blood and they want more! They slaughter our numbers and any humans that would call us friend. Stand and fight I say! You want an army? It starts here TONIGHT! Others might see a Wingwyrd, a Thri-keen, a Kobold....I see hope. Maybe our last hope. If we do nothing now, then when? When more of our numbers are slaughtered? This is about survival now, and surely even kobold-gods agree with that!

Jallorn
2010-04-28, 09:49 AM
Enough of this. This debate gets us nowhere. You wil either help us, or you won't, I am done waiting. Once again, if any here seek alliances, my companion can lead you to our council, they are near, but hidden. Any who seek a more active role at this stage, or even if you're just curious, Ilna looks pointedly at the Kobold, Follow me. Finished, Ilna departs, heading in the general direction of human lands. His goal is more to make a point than to get anywhere, he has no real plan just yet.

Ladorak
2010-04-28, 11:39 AM
As the crowd disperses Kcha approaches the Wingwyrd. 'You spoke well my brother. If others are not swayed by your words it is their failing and not yours.' The Thri-Kreen leans in a little closer to Zarku, lowering his raspy voice 'But you forget your audience. You and I both know that there are good humans. We know that our only hope lies in cooperation with this humans. but that is a matter for private council. What the crowd needs to hear is of starkest black and white. Once they are with you, then you can let them know of the grey. Teach them the might of the stayed blade.
'But the crowd is dispersing, so now we can talk sensibly. Zarku, of the Shadow Sun Clan, I am Kcha, of no Clutch. Your loss wounds me as it wounds us all. My blade mentor spoke often of the Shadow Sun, if you would join me in this quest I would have it that their name and honours are not forgotten. I would call you Rockbrother, together we will build this army.' There is a pause, and when he speaks next there is a gentle humour in his voice 'I'm sure we can manage it without the 'mighty' Kobolds.' He offers the hand of friendship to Zarku.

Tacitus
2010-04-29, 12:51 AM
Mal

The kobold remains still for a moment as he contemplates the woman before him. She had a fire in her unlike anything Mal had seen before and it was both intriguing and perplexing. It meant that she was driven to fulfill her cause, but at the same time would no doubt prove stubborn and far too... perceptive for his conventional tactics. As everyone begins to leave he takes a look around to see if there are any humanoids or giants who are not following after Ilna.

If someone/thing staying behind fits the bill he will slip into the shadows and disappear from conventional sight. He will then alter his appearance to mimic the one left behind precisely and then follow after, dropping his invisibility only after they are all out of sight of the dolmen circle. If no one fits the bill he will simply follow after them as an invisible kobold, renewing it is necessary.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-29, 01:05 AM
At the lycanthrope's ultimatum, a murmur rumbles through the onlookers. Do we fight together? ask some voices. Can we fight apart? ask other voices. Should we fight? ask still others. Momentarily, minds are made up and decisions are made. Of the eight who did not take part in this last argument, a lizard-man, a barghest, a giant, a gnoll, a hag, and a spectre follow Ilna. A duergar and a rakshasa remain behind, conversing softly.

Pezmerga
2010-04-29, 11:45 AM
Zarku nods in agreement with Kcha and clasps his hand.
Perhaps we should follow to see what this Ilna has in mind...
Zarku looks to the others..
Diplomacy check
[roll0]
Brothers....you do yourselves, and the rest of your kind no favors with indecision, are you to fight or not? I suggest if you are to fight, we stick together..Lets see what Ilna has in mind. This coming war involves all of us, do you not want your say on the matter?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-29, 11:57 AM
The two remaining creatures cease their discussion and turn to Zarku. The duergar narrows his eyes and snaps, "We weren't choosing not to fight, stone-face, just...being cautious. I was going to speak here for a while longer, but if you and the bug are in such a rush, we can leave now." Rolling his eyes at the duergar's casual incivility, the rakshasa simply places a hand on his shoulder and motions for Zarku and Kcha to lead the way.

Ladorak
2010-04-29, 12:27 PM
'Indeed, lead on Rockbrother.' Kcha follows slightly behind Zarku.

Pezmerga
2010-04-30, 12:17 PM
To the Duergar Zarku says:
I apologize , I meant no disrespect.
Zarku and company follow Ilna, still unsure of what to suspect....

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-02, 01:59 AM
Words are more plentiful than actions, and bravado easier than bravery. As they follow Ilna through the trees to their destination, the group feel their spines slouch and see their companions' expressions of self-righteousness fade somewhat. The hag is the first to crumble: "Forgive me," she says, pausing in her path, "but the way to war is not my way; it is too overt by far, and quite frankly I do not believe it to be able to work." She nods graciously to the others, and departs.

With her example, the floodgates open. Several of the others find excuses of various sorts to leave, citing lack of confidence, or their responsibilities elsewhere, or their fear of humanoid reprisal, or other reasons entirely. By the time the group is within sight of their destination, only the barghest, the duergar, and the rakshasa remain. As they continue, even the latter's resolve wavers. "I had planned in all of your endeavors to lend my support, but if those persons who have recently deserted us are representative of the kind of aid we shall receive, I believe I must in good conscience withdraw. I remain at your disposal should you need me--my means of contact are known to you--but in your council of war I cannot take part." A quick flicker of her paw, and the rakshasa becomes an owl, who takes flight and quickly disappears into the night.

"Cowards. Didn't need them anyway," the duergar opines. "So we have a lizard, a cat, a statue, a bug, a wolf, and me. Heh. Great start to an army we've got here." He looks around the group with disdain, then motions pointedly in the direction the group is headed. "Well? What're you waiting for?"

The group reaches its destination, the stone circle atop the hill, shortly thereafter. Under each stone formation sits a robed humanoid figure, each possessing the head of a different animal--lyncanthopes, all. Most in attendance are were-panthers, or at least were-felines, but a noticeable quantity of werewolves and -jackals can be seen as well, and even a few wererats. When the whole group has assembled in the center of the stones, one of the figures raises a hand, motioning you to sit. "A small gathering, but it is the strength of one's conviction rather than the strength of one's claws that matters in such a pursuit. Be welcome."

Jallorn
2010-05-02, 02:21 PM
Ilna turns to look at those who have followed him. Perhaps they will reconsider later when they see our successes, but we cannot dwell on those without faith, or courage. Who among you have allies you believe would join us? As you can see, my tribe is not without allies, though most are therianthropes like ourselves. I would ask that if you have allies that you would work with my tribe's council to begin diplomacy. But now my tasks here are done. I will travel west towards human lands where the hardiest and also most pressured peoples will live. They will see the wisdom in this alliance. If you have no reason to remain here, I would ask that you accompany me, there is protection in numbers, as well as greater credibility.

Pezmerga
2010-05-02, 07:56 PM
Unforunately, to my knowledge my brothers are all dead. I wish I could say I had comrades to join us....but nonetheless friend, I will accompany you. Strength in numbers isn't always enough, but I will fight tooth and claw to prevent any more deaths to our peoples.

Tacitus
2010-05-02, 08:18 PM
Mal

The kobold has been oddly silent since his rather negative outburst, up until the mention of allies, "We obviously contribute the awesome power of the mighty kobolds, but Our genius has also brought to bear the formidable strength of the ogre tribes in the hills. We hope to train them as heavy mounts for the most daring kobold warriors."

Jallorn
2010-05-02, 08:24 PM
Ilna can't help but burst out laughing at the idea of Kobolds riding Ogres.

Tacitus
2010-05-02, 11:41 PM
Mal does not seem to understand why Ilna laughs as she does, either due to being terribly naive or glossing over it with the grace of a true leader. He continues on anyway, "Aye, a wondrous idea, is it not? We thought of it Ourself. We also had a dream about explosive goblins Our Kobold Heavy Cavalry could use as explosives, but We have yet to find any explosive goblins for the task."

Ladorak
2010-05-03, 11:36 AM
Kcha buzzes softly, but it is impossible for the others to tell if he's laughing or angry or anything else. 'I can't imagine a tribe of exploding Goblins lasting that long... Besides exploding horses would be more effective. Humans don't run when they see a horse coming, and they run faster then goblins. Plus I wouldn't have to wrestle with my conscience.
As for the support I bring... the Lone Wanderer walks alone, it comes with the title. But you are all now my brothers, we are a Clutch. If you go west I will go with you.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-08, 02:27 PM
After discussing tactics with the duergar, the barghest, and the council late into the night, the four of you depart for the west the next morning, bidding the council and your two new allies farewell. The council have asked you to travel to the city of Cabbasil, an elven city about a week's travel inland, to continue your mission.

Over the course of the week, the forest through which you travel gradually thins, turning into plains and farmland criss-crossed with trade roads; the port city near your meeting was a smaller town, but your destination is a thriving elven metropolis--not a capital or one of the larger cities on the continent, but quite active and successful nonetheless. Much of its economic success rests on its thriving slave trade, hence the council's interest in it, and it is one of the more fervently theocratic cities in this part of the continent, being near the outskirts of humanoid civilization.

You can guess that it is market day from the plethora of carts and wagons attempting to enter the city from miles around on the day you arrive. Teams of manacled goblins and kobolds fill nearby fields, loading carts with grain and produce; gargoyles shackled to the massive city gates open and close them to let in groups of wagons; several elves in priestly vestments oversee groups of lizardfolk and troglodytes unloading and porting goods to warehouses within the gates.

Jallorn
2010-05-08, 02:34 PM
Friends, I can pass as a true human, but you three may have to pretend to be slaves.

Tacitus
2010-05-08, 02:54 PM
Mal

The small kobold snorts and lets out a long slow hiss, "You underestimate the powers of the God-Sorcerer Malzakar. We are NO slave." With a few sickening pops and cracks the kobold has grown to twice his original size, the sum of his equipment following suit, and an elf just like any other stands where the egotistical kobold had been. His voice now lacks the yapping tones of his previous form and is almost lyrical, even for an elf, "I am Mallion, a simple hedge wizard, at your service, m'lady."

Ladorak
2010-05-08, 07:43 PM
'And I shall be Carlen.' Where once Kcha stood there is now a tall Elf in simple flowing robes of turquoise and green. His raspy voice has not changed 'I shall speak little and it will not fool those of magical ability and suspicious inclination. Still, it shall suffice.'

Gotta love the Hat of disguise :smallsmile:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-13, 10:02 PM
It is fortunate that you have means of disguising yourselves, for shortly after the party of four despicable monsters becomes three unassuming humanoids and a statue, one of the older elven priests sees your group and approaches. He wears the brown-and-silver garb of Rhophtas, god of wealth, security, and the earth, and is trailed by a stone giant carrying some of the larger trade goods.

"Well met, friends; may the silver eyes of Rhophtas look favorably on your dealings today and for the remainder of the fortnight. I see you do not have any more goods in need of bringing into the city, so perhaps he already has! But perhaps I can assist you in some other fashion?"

Jallorn
2010-05-14, 10:25 AM
I'm good. What about you guys?

Tacitus
2010-05-14, 07:10 PM
Mal

Mal shakes his head with a smile, "I do not believe we will be needing anything particular, though we might later be looking for a... beast of burden in the off chance we find someone with which to share our prosperity. Might you direct us towards where we could purchase or rent out such a thing." If nothing else, he is assuming if they can easily find salve pens they could bust them open at a later time.

Ladorak
2010-05-14, 08:14 PM
Kcha bows respectfully to the priest but says nothing.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-20, 11:10 PM
Turning to Mal, the priest smiles brightly. "Certainly, sir! We have the largest market of slaves and beasts for leagues around! Simply visit the temple appropriate to the kind of creature you seek; my own temple sells dumb brutes like this giant, here"--he motions to the giant with him, who looks somewhat angry but incapable of expressing it--"while the priests of Nemshotekh can help you with aquatic mounts; if you seek slaves for detailed work or simply fodder for battle, they also possess a few dozen of the ugly scaled ones as well. The priestesses of Those Who Shine would normally have aerial beasts of burden, but they have all sold out for market week; if you have time, they should have sent some mercenaries to retrive some more eggs by this time next week."

[Nemshotekh is the god of marshes/streams and travel, and Those Who Shine are sun and moon goddesses. If you're looking for large groups of slaves, Nemshotekh would probably be your best bet.]

Jallorn
2010-05-20, 11:26 PM
Thank you, Ilna succeeds at hiding his revulsion, but wants the conversation to end as soon as possible. We must go now, we have a prior engagement.

Tacitus
2010-05-21, 01:46 AM
Mal

An accomplished liar, the temporary elf Mallion does not even twitch as the priest expounds upon the full depth and breadth of the slave trade in the city. He nods politely, "You have been most kind. Blessed be, my friend." He glances to his companions, "There is still much to see." With a smile he begins to move away from the priest, headed for the market.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-26, 12:47 PM
The market is a noisy, crowded, smelly place; hot and sweaty slaves labor in the day's heat, and vendors yell over each other to promote their wares. Priests are ubiquitous, collecting tariffs at the gates, herding groups of slaves, and otherwise running the market; several well-muscled guards are interspersed among the market stalls, discouraging theft and trickery with steel armor and steely glares.

If something is grown, built, or assembled, chances are you can find it here. Lizardfolk carry crates of food through the street; elven carpenters show off furniture; kobolds scurry around delivering purchases. Signs are posted throughout that slave auctions will be held later today, and slaves sit in pens next to the livestock, alternately ignored and mocked.

Jallorn
2010-05-26, 01:02 PM
Ilna takes a closer look at the slave pens, looking for any construction weakness.

Search?:[roll0]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-26, 01:30 PM
Several of the gates on the pens have been opened so often that their hinges seem to be a bit weak; they're not just going to drop off anytime soon, but they might be more easily broken.