PDA

View Full Version : Touch spells on allies

Escheton
2010-04-25, 08:18 AM
I remember it being 6 touch attacks.
But when checking up on it on page 175 of plaha 3.5 it says as many as you can reach as part of the casting.

where did I get that 6 from? any idea?

nargbop
2010-04-25, 08:38 AM
Warweaver is a Heroes of Battle PrC that allows you to apply a single spell to several allies, up to your INT bonus. That could be six allies (ten in the case of my current Warweaver). There are some fundamental limitations to the class, the most important being that you lose a caster level and that you can't put higher than 5th level spells into the tapestry that connects your group.
If you're playing Core and using a spell that allows multiple targets but requires touching (such as Teleport), then your group must be in the squares surrounding you, totalling eight.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-25, 10:57 AM
I remember it being 6 touch attacks.
But when checking up on it on page 175 of plaha 3.5 it says as many as you can reach as part of the casting.

where did I get that 6 from? any idea?

PHB 141, under Touch Spells in Combat:

Holding the Charge: If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-25, 10:59 AM
From the Combat chapter.

Holding the Charge
If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

EDIT: Ninja'd! :smallfrown:

Saph
2010-04-25, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure that works. It says you can touch up to six friends as a full-round action. That's great if you've got a spell that specifically allows multiple targets, like Teleport. If you've got a spell that affects only one target, however, then you discharge the spell on the first target and give a massage to the remaining five.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-25, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure that works. It says you can touch up to six friends as a full-round action. That's great if you've got a spell that specifically allows multiple targets, like Teleport. If you've got a spell that affects only one target, however, then you discharge the spell on the first target and give a massage to the remaining five.

If by "not sure that works" you mean "that doesn't let you add multiple targets to a single-target touch spell," you're right, and the text doesn't imply you can. It's for spells like chill touch that allow multiple touches but don't have a "all targets must be in contact"-type clause.

Saph
2010-04-25, 11:24 AM
If by "not sure that works" you mean "that doesn't let you add multiple targets to a single-target touch spell," you're right, and the text doesn't imply you can. It's for spells like chill touch that allow multiple touches but don't have a "all targets must be in contact"-type clause.

*nods* Yes, it was spells like chill touch that I was thinking of.