PDA

View Full Version : reserve feat question

alisbin
2010-04-25, 08:58 AM
hey mates,
example situation; i have the storm bolt reserve feat and the highest level electricity spell i have is lightning bolt but i also have 4th level spells and heighten spell. if i heighten a lightning bolt to to 4th level does it count as a 4th level spell for the purposes of storm bolt?

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-25, 09:01 AM
Heighten spell makes spells function in all ways as whatever you heighten them to.

Yes.

alisbin
2010-04-25, 09:07 AM
what about if i just use a higher level slot? (IE if i need 1 more lightning bolt then i have 3rd level slots but don't have heighten spell)

Jack_Simth
2010-04-25, 09:09 AM
what about if i just use a higher level slot? (IE if i need 1 more lightning bolt then i have 3rd level slots but don't have heighten spell)Then it's still a 3rd level spell, just in a higher spell slot, and you gain nothing.

alisbin
2010-04-25, 09:12 AM
ok, thanks mates, off to do crazy things with reserve feats :)

sreservoir
2010-04-25, 12:41 PM
Then it's still a 3rd level spell, just in a higher spell slot, and you gain nothing.

A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to a maximum of 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level.

the spell level increases.

arguskos
2010-04-25, 12:42 PM
Yes, but simply preparing a lightning bolt in a 4th level slot WITHOUT Heighten Spell keeps it as a level 3 spell, and thus grants no benefits to reserve feats.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-25, 12:43 PM

That is IF you are using heighten spell, while you can still prepare a 3rd level spell in a 4th level spell slot without heighten spell, the spell still counts as a 3rd level spell.

Edit: Note to self, put more ranks in spot, ninjas are everywhere