PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] PC riding another PC

zagan
2010-04-25, 11:28 AM
Heu, yeah so my player just entered a Marsh terrain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#marshTerrain) anticipating some problem the halfling (rogue) accepted to ride the warforged (crusader).

I wondering if I should ask for any sort of skill check from one or both of them ? Particulary in combat.

I was thinking ride for the halfling to "stay in the saddle" and perhaps balance from the warforged to not fall down from a sudden movement ?

Is there any official rule on thing like that ?

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-25, 11:45 AM
Is there actually a saddle? Or do mean metaphorically?

I would probably assign a Climb DC to the other PC and go from there. That has rules for holding on if you get hit and such. But I don't think there's anything official for riding humanoid or otherwise non-"mount"able creatures.

Temotei
2010-04-25, 11:46 AM
The warforged should get a minor penalty to attacks, probably. Unless the halfling keeps all of his/her weight on one side and the warforged is using a light or one-handed weapon.

Also, if the halfling falls from the warforged getting taken out, have the halfling make a Tumble check instead of a Ride check.

Kiren
2010-04-25, 11:50 AM
you could edit this:

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicle_%283.5e_Template%29

hamishspence
2010-04-25, 11:51 AM
Dragon 304 suggests that bipeds should be able to carry half as many creatures as quadrupeds, and should (without an exotic saddle) impose a -2 penalty on all Ride checks- since they are unsuited as mounts.

So a Medium warforged should be able to carry only 1 small creature, and that creature should have a penalty to Ride checks.

zagan
2010-04-25, 11:58 AM
Is there actually a saddle? Or do mean metaphorically?

I would probably assign a Climb DC to the other PC and go from there. That has rules for holding on if you get hit and such. But I don't think there's anything official for riding humanoid or otherwise non-"mount"able creatures.

No saddle, she (the halfling) just sit on his shoulder.
I didn't think of climb that might work too.

The warforged should get a minor penalty to attacks, probably. Unless the halfling keeps all of his/her weight on one side and the warforged is using a light or one-handed weapon.

Also, if the halfling falls from the warforged getting taken out, have the halfling make a Tumble check instead of a Ride check.

I don't think that they will stay like that long in combat but surprise attack in a swamp are very common so I might assign a penality, thanks for the suggestion.

you could edit this:

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicle_%283.5e_Template%29

I take a look thanks.

Dragon 304 suggests that bipeds should be able to carry half as many creatures as quadrupeds, and should (without an exotic saddle) impose a -2 penalty on all Ride checks- since they are unsuited as mounts.

So a Medium warforged should be able to carry only 1 small creature, and that creature should have a penalty to Ride checks.

Saddly I don't have this one, my collection begin at 305 :smallfrown:, still it's a good idea thanks.

hamishspence
2010-04-25, 12:02 PM
The Arms & Equipment Guide (admittedly 3.0) allows for humanoids to be ridden without penalty.

However, it suggests that normally, the mount has to be at least 2 sizes larger- so you'd need a Large warforged (such as the gorillalike Warforged Charger in MM3), for a small creature to ride it.

zagan
2010-04-25, 12:11 PM
The Arms & Equipment Guide (admittedly 3.0) allows for humanoids to be ridden without penalty.

However, it suggests that normally, the mount has to be at least 2 sizes larger- so you'd need a Large warforged (such as the gorillalike Warforged Charger in MM3), for a small creature to ride it.

I've found it thanks, I didn't think to look there. I will allow it but I will impose a penality on both.
How about that:
Hafling take a -4 penality to ride (-2 for no saddle and -2 because of size) if one of them is attacked she must make a ride check to stay in the saddle DC 5, if she fall down tumble check to not fall prone DC 10 ?
-2 penality to attack roll (partly negate by the bonus from higher ground)
Warforged take a -2 penality to attack roll.

What do you think ?

hamishspence
2010-04-25, 12:23 PM
Sounds reasonable. I'd use something like that if doing this.

A&EG also allows Medium creatures to ride Medium ones- if they're in water.

Maybe if they're swimming rather than walking, there should be no penalty for underwater rider?

Temotei
2010-04-25, 12:27 PM
Actually, this would be a pretty sweet tactic. Imagine the halfling climbing up and jumping over an enemy to flank them. :smallcool:

They'd just have to survive the attack of opportunity.

Lord Loss
2010-04-25, 12:31 PM
I think the warforged should have the choice to take a penalty to attacks to fight in a way that helps the halfling keep his balance.

Sliver
2010-04-25, 12:36 PM
I'm gonna need to read mounted combat rules now? :smalltongue:

zagan
2010-04-25, 01:18 PM
Sounds reasonable. I'd use something like that if doing this.

A&EG also allows Medium creatures to ride Medium ones- if they're in water.

Maybe if they're swimming rather than walking, there should be no penalty for underwater rider?

The water is not deep enough for that, but I'll keep it in mind.

I'm gonna need to read mounted combat rules now? :smalltongue:

Yes, because it was your idea.