PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder/Eberron] Sorcerer Bloodline: Dragonmarked

Draxar
2010-04-25, 06:44 PM
So, there are all the different sorcerer bloodlines.

And in Dragon 351 there were rules for being a Dragonmarked Sorcerer, getting all the spells of your mark as extra spells above your normal known limit.

So, in an Eberron Pathfinder game, would a Dragonmarked bloodline for sorcerers be viable, with your mark's spells being at least the starting point for your extra spells.

Upsides: Cool, thematic, probably not overpowered compared to a normal bloodline. An interestingly different way to come up with the spells you gain from the bloodline.

Downside: Different Dragonmarks give you different numbers of spells, of different levels, whereas bloodlines give you one spell of each level from 1 to 9. There are already issues with making Eberron and Pathfinder work, this could make it even more complicated. It may be hard to come up with the bloodline special powers, especially the final one.

But it seems an awesome idea.

The bloodline skill should probably be the one that the Dragomark gives a bonus to. The feats should be a mix of those Dragonmark specific feats that transfer over, and some of the action point boosting ones.

I'm not sure what to do about the spells, possibly add some to some of the lists, or possibly go "It's a feature" and give them better other powers to make up for it.

Other powers... probably raise their caster level/extend all of their Marked spells. Beyond that... nick some stuff from the Dragonmarked book, and see what works.

I know this is very trough at the moment, but I thought I'd throw the idea out while I work on it some more, and see what people think.

For anyone who's interested, here's the numbers on number of spells gained per mark.

Order goes
Least Mark spell levels.
Lesser Mark spell levels.
Greater Mark spell levels.
Siberis Mark spell levels.
Difference in spell levels from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (bloodline default)

Detection:
= -25

Finding
= -21

Handling
5, 6
= -15

Healing
1, 2
3, 4, 3, 4
= -13

Hospitatlity
0, 0, 1
3, 4
6, 7

= -15

Making
2, 0, 1
4, 3
5, 5
8?
= -17

Passage
3, 4
5, 5
= -18

Scribing
0, 1, 2

Sentinel
3, 4

Shadow
3, 4, 4
7, 5, 6
8, 7
= +4

Storm
1, 2, x2
3, ?, 3
5, 7
= -9ish

Warding
1,2,x2,4
3, x3, x3
6, 5, 6
= -2

Golden-Esque
2010-04-26, 10:19 AM
Your best bet, in my opinion, is to make a Bloodline that you can only take if you have the Dragonmark. From what I know about Eberron, you don't need to be a spellcaster to manifest Dragonmarks, so in my opinion, you're probably better off either just using the Draconic Bloodline or making a new, generic bloodline that has its unique powers increase depending on your mark.

Draxar
2010-04-26, 07:04 PM
Your best bet, in my opinion, is to make a Bloodline that you can only take if you have the Dragonmark. From what I know about Eberron, you don't need to be a spellcaster to manifest Dragonmarks, so in my opinion, you're probably better off either just using the Draconic Bloodline or making a new, generic bloodline that has its unique powers increase depending on your mark.

Some of that's possible, but...

The general idea for the bloodline was inspired by the feat that gives you the Dragonmark SLAs as sorcerer spells, tying the nature of Sorcerers having power in their blood into that of the Dragonmarks. And by the fact that there's rough equivalences between the two – the number of spells granted by the marks are roughly similar (though mostly less) than those granted by a bloodline, and each least mark gives you +2 to a skill, each bloodline adds a skill to your class list.

Draconic Bloodline doesn't really fit, due to the fact that there's is little specifically draconic about the Dragonmarks. They are called Dragonmarks because they are related to the Draconic prophecy, which is called the Draconic Prophecy because it's mostly the Dragons that care about it. There are a couple of feats relating to Dragons that require a Dragonmark, but that's out of a huge bunch of other feats that relate to lots of other things.

What sort of unique powers go well with the mark, is the question, especially given that there's a dozen different sets of powers.