PDA

View Full Version : Animate Dead as an SLA

Trekkin
2010-04-25, 07:34 PM
I keep finding references to how easy it is to make Animate Dead free by making it an SLA (see The Revised Necromancer Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872726/Revised_Necromancer_Handbook), but no specific means of doing this. Are there any that actually eliminate the need for a material component rather than just change it to a focus?

Morrolan
2010-05-08, 04:36 PM
Not a 3.5 way for that as far as I am aware of.
But what's so bad about the focus? If you take the feat Innate Spell from Players Guide to Faerun you can just carry around a nice masterwork obsidian staff worth a 1000 gp and cast animate dead for free 3/day (even if it is used for creating a 40 HD undead)

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-08, 04:39 PM
Eschew Materials. You're welcome.
-Xavez

Morrolan
2010-05-08, 04:43 PM
It's more than 1 gp....

Divide by Zero
2010-05-08, 04:46 PM
Pale Master (Libris Mortis) gets it 1/day at level 2.

Pluto
2010-05-08, 04:48 PM
Runesmith can do it at level 5.

The Shadowmind
2010-05-08, 04:55 PM
Can't a spellstiched templated undead with a high enough wisdom score could do it 1/day as an SLA?

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-08, 05:09 PM
I keep finding references to how easy it is to make Animate Dead free by making it an SLA (see The Revised Necromancer Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872726/Revised_Necromancer_Handbook), but no specific means of doing this. Are there any that actually eliminate the need for a material component rather than just change it to a focus?

Spell To Power Erudite (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a). Animate Dead becomes a 5th level Power (=9 Power Points). Best part is you can spend 2 extra PP to overcome all components, so at Level 11 (or lower with CL boosting shenanigans) you can manifest it as much as you like for free (assuming you have the PP available obviously).

Though how do you make the onyx a focus instead of a component?

true_shinken
2010-05-08, 05:15 PM
Eschew Materials. You're welcome.
-Xavez

Except not.

You can cast any spell that has a material component costing 1 gp or less without needing that component.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-08, 05:16 PM
Except not.

Take it 25 times and you can have free 1HD zombies :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-05-08, 05:18 PM
Since StP erudite was already mentioned, I don't feel bad for adding some cheese: Shadowcraft Mage can do it for no cost.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-08, 05:18 PM
Take it 25 times and you can have free 1HD zombies :smalltongue:

Were both of the mistakes in this post intentional?

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-08, 05:22 PM
Were both of the mistakes in this post intentional?

The first one was. The second one was me just being an idiot :smallredface:

nedz
2010-05-08, 05:22 PM
Warlock "The Dead Walk" is an SLA.
It doesn't save you the 25gp/HD however

marjan
2010-05-08, 05:26 PM
Warlock "The Dead Walk" is an SLA.
It doesn't save you the 25gp/HD however

It does, if you don't mind your undead having limited duration IIRC.

JaronK
2010-05-08, 05:30 PM
Since StP erudite was already mentioned, I don't feel bad for adding some cheese: Shadowcraft Mage can do it for no cost.

No, it's Necromancy.

The best ways have been mentioned: Runesmith 5, Palemaster 2, and Spell Stitching yourself (the last is probably best, but also consider getting Animate Dread Warrior and Awaken Undead).

JaronK

Divide by Zero
2010-05-08, 05:34 PM
No, it's Necromancy.

Shadow miracle. He did say he was adding cheese.

Keld Denar
2010-05-08, 06:32 PM
Shadow Miracle is bunk because of the wording. Its on YOUR spell list, not THE sorcerer/wizard list, and the Shadow Illusion ability EXPLICITLY references THE sorcerer/wizard list and thus doesn't work. Why do people insist on propagting this? There are lots of ways to get a spell on YOUR spell list, that doesn't make them sorcerer/wizard spells. If you want to discuss this, start a new thread though.

A Dweomerkeeper could use his Supernatural Spell ability to cast Animate Dead as a (SU), thus making it not cost any material components. Clerics make better necromancers than wizards anyway.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-08, 06:42 PM
Why do people insist on propagting this?

It's part of a global conspiracy to undermine the value of RAW as a common base of discussion. Obviously. :smalltongue:

Amiel
2010-05-08, 08:59 PM
What level are you and what are your barred schools?

Thinking laterally, you could polymorph into a form that has animate dead as an at will SLA.

Yukitsu
2010-05-08, 09:22 PM
The good lich and Baelnorn both have it if they want. Probably too much LA for you though.

Thurbane
2010-05-08, 09:27 PM
An Archmage could do it...it would cost a 4th and 5th level spell slot, for Animate Dead as an SLA 2/day. Not sure how you'd calculate the XP cost, since the material component cost is variable for how many HD you are animating...

The Shadowmind
2010-05-08, 09:29 PM
What about an extended Polymorph Any Object into an undead(1 week->2week duration(extend) getting spellstitched, then having the Polymorph Any Object effect wear off. Does that produce a non undead spell stitched creature?

JaronK
2010-05-09, 12:29 AM
Shadow miracle. He did say he was adding cheese.

That's a 9th level spell even if it does work. Why would you be duplicating Animate Dead with it and not something far more potent? I'm also pretty dubious about the Shadow Miracle interpretation, for the same reasons Keld stated.

JaronK

Greenish
2010-05-09, 12:34 AM
That's a 9th level spell even if it does work. Why would you be duplicating Animate Dead with it and not something far more potent?Well, I never said it's a good idea, merely that you can. I wasn't aware the trick is of questionable legality at the time.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-09, 04:00 AM
What level are you and what are your barred schools?

Thinking laterally, you could polymorph into a form that has animate dead as an at will SLA.

No. No you couldn't.

It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-09, 04:14 AM
The spellstitched template from MM2 is 3.5. It was updated in errata and was not significantly changed. This is the most effective way to get your own personal animate dead SLA without an associated cost.

The second most effective way is probably to gain control of a creature to do it for you. I can't think of any off the top of my head that have it as a SLA, but I'm sure there are a couple. (Edit: Atropal Scion from Libris Mortis has it 3/day at CL 9. It has 9 hp and is CR 11, but good luck finding one.)

Another way is via an item called the Night Caller. It originally appeared as a magic item (complete with costs to create) in the first 3.0 module "The Sunless Citadel". It was later reprinted in Libris Mortis with the exact same stats but a higher cost (LM, p.79, 7,000gp) It allows you to animate one creature as a zombie per week, with some stipulations on time of day and other easy-to-meet conditions. You can only control two such zombies at a time.

The item itself doesn't specify that there is an HD limit, but as it has a CL of 5, it would be reasonable to assume that is the CL at which it duplicates animate dead.

Edit:
An interesting thing about the Atropal Scion is its ability to command or rebuke undead as a cleric of a level equal to its hit dice (9 HD). Its negative energy aura grants any undead within 60' +4 turn resistance. This means that the Scion cannot actually perform the second part of that bit (commanding undead) unless advanced.

obnoxious
sig

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-09, 05:05 AM
Shadow Miracle is bunk because of the wording. Its on YOUR spell list, not THE sorcerer/wizard list, and the Shadow Illusion ability EXPLICITLY references THE sorcerer/wizard list and thus doesn't work. Why do people insist on propagting this? There are lots of ways to get a spell on YOUR spell list, that doesn't make them sorcerer/wizard spells. If you want to discuss this, start a new thread though.
Because it doesn't reference THE sorceror/wizard list. It references YOUR sorceror/wizard list.

Any spell legally added to your list is part of your list. If you legally add miracle (via domain), it's on your list. If you legally add all cleric spells to your list (Rainbow Servant 10) then all cleric spells are part of your list.

Lists aren't immutable, and inviolate as printed. They can grow, change, and evolve, just as the game can.

Now that both views have been presented, it can be left for individuals to decide, and further debate can be made in a new thread.

I look dimly on trying to essentially cheap shot a view as the officially correct one, and then refer all further debate on it elsewhere, so as to have an unopposed view in this thread. Both sides of the coin are now visible. People can interpret as they will.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-09, 05:37 AM
There are ways (i.e. feats) to get around that limitation.

Metamorphic Transfer gets you <Su>, for example.